Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nndroid

Default Ballpark figure for replacement door and window?

Apologies, it's not exactly DIY but I thought you would know best.

I need to replace a single-unit kitchen window, door and surrounding
frames etc. They're rotten and falling to bits. For speed and ease,
I've called Everest windows to come and give a quote on Weds morning
but I would like to be forearmed. Can anyone give me a rough idea of
how much it ought to cost? We're after a double-glazed door and window
with wooden frames, as befits a traditional North London terraced house
conversion. Any thoughts and suggestions are most welcome. Thankyou!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Peter Crosland

Just about the most expensive option you could have chosen. Cancel the
appointment and find a small local company to do the job.

--
Peter Crosland

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew Gabriel

In article .com,
"Nndroid" writes:
Apologies, it's not exactly DIY but I thought you would know best.

I need to replace a single-unit kitchen window, door and surrounding
frames etc. They're rotten and falling to bits. For speed and ease,
I've called Everest windows to come and give a quote on Weds morning
but I would like to be forearmed. Can anyone give me a rough idea of
how much it ought to cost? We're after a double-glazed door and window
with wooden frames, as befits a traditional North London terraced house
conversion. Any thoughts and suggestions are most welcome. Thankyou!

IRC, Everest quoted about 4 times the price I eventually paid
a local installer. Above all, DONT SIGN ANYTHING DURING THE
VISIT. You must get more quotes first for comparison. Ask for
recommendations from neighbours, or failing that, from a local
independant glazing shop.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Watkinson

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
.. .
In article .com,
"Nndroid" writes:
Apologies, it's not exactly DIY but I thought you would know best.

I need to replace a single-unit kitchen window, door and surrounding
frames etc. They're rotten and falling to bits. For speed and ease,
I've called Everest windows to come and give a quote on Weds morning
but I would like to be forearmed. Can anyone give me a rough idea of
how much it ought to cost? We're after a double-glazed door and window
with wooden frames, as befits a traditional North London terraced house
conversion. Any thoughts and suggestions are most welcome. Thankyou!

IRC, Everest quoted about 4 times the price I eventually paid
a local installer. Above all, DONT SIGN ANYTHING DURING THE
VISIT. You must get more quotes first for comparison. Ask for
recommendations from neighbours, or failing that, from a local
independant glazing shop.

You will also know the salesman as well as you know your closest relatives
before they eventually leave. They will astonish you with how much they
want.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"Bob Watkinson" writes:
You will also know the salesman as well as you know your closest relatives
before they eventually leave. They will astonish you with how much they
want.

That part really backfired on me. It wasn't the 4 times price I
objected to at the time (didn't yet have other quotes to compare
with). It was the thought that any of my money would be going to
that salesman which really put me off using them.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nndroid

This is all rather disturbing and I'm on the verge of cancelling the
Everest guy. Am posting above to see if anyone can suggest a decent
independent replacement windows person in North London. Thanks, NNDROID

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Nndroid wrote:
This is all rather disturbing and I'm on the verge of cancelling the
Everest guy. Am posting above to see if anyone can suggest a decent
independent replacement windows person in North London. Thanks, NNDROID

You know what you want. Telephone them, if they don't do timber
windows and doors, cancel the appointment. If they *do* what you
want, get a price from them (as mentioned elsewhere, never an "if
you buy now" price). Use this price, as well as other estimates,
to help you decide who is to do get the business. For other
estimates you could try a nearby glazier, or small builder, or
even another "big" firm (say you're getting other estimates,
but don't tell them whether you already have any, especially
what prices you have!). Don't let anyone estimate for something
substantially different from your requirements, i.e. if you want
DG timber, don't even entertain a price for PVC, aluminium or
single-glazing.

All this stuff about salesmen staying for hours when they're not
wanted is guff. If you have the information you need, just say
"Thanks, bye bye, we'll let you know" or words to that effect. If
you're feeling at all vulnerable, make sure there's someone, or a
couple of people that you know & trust with you as moral support.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article .com,
Nndroid wrote:
This is all rather disturbing and I'm on the verge of cancelling the
Everest guy. Am posting above to see if anyone can suggest a decent
independent replacement windows person in North London. Thanks, NNDROID

Look up Yellow pages for a local one. If you know a local glazier ask for
their recommendation.

--
*I don't suffer from insanity -- I'm a carrier

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ziggur

In article ,
says...

£643.54p

Plus VAT?

--
Ziggur

"S'ils te mordent, mords-les"

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Cartmell

In article , Chris Bacon
wrote:
make sure there's someone, or a couple of people that you know & trust with
you as moral support.

Make sure they're not the sort of people who say "Ooh that sounds nice!" to
everything the sales-person says. ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Ziggur wrote:
£643.54p

Plus VAT?

Of course, 'though you *may* get it VAT-free in a quiet time for cash.