Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dr Wu

Default Painting

A bit of painting coming up over the next few weeks inside the house.
After applying a coat of say Crown gloss paint, how long can it be left
before it has to be rubbed down with sandpaper again prior to the last coat.
In other words, can I do one coat this week and the final coat next week
without it peeling off ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Barry

wrote:

A bit of painting coming up over the next few weeks inside the house.
After applying a coat of say Crown gloss paint, how long can it be left
before it has to be rubbed down with sandpaper again prior to the last
coat.
In other words, can I do one coat this week and the final coat next week
without it peeling off ?

Yep

Its a basic question that you ask...............and Rick is quite right that
you can put a final coat on a week after your first one..
I just thought I would say that a good undercoat will make the top coat
look that much better and wear better if you havent already done it .
If you are going over existing paint work it might not be necessary

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble

wrote:

A bit of painting coming up over the next few weeks inside the house.
After applying a coat of say Crown gloss paint, how long can it be left
before it has to be rubbed down with sandpaper again prior to the last
coat.
In other words, can I do one coat this week and the final coat next week
without it peeling off ?

Yep

Its a basic question that you ask...............and Rick is quite right that
you can put a final coat on a week after your first one..
I just thought I would say that a good undercoat will make the top coat
look that much better and wear better if you havent already done it .
If you are going over existing paint work it might not be necessary

Yes, don't use gloss to "build" a coat. That's the job of the undercoat