Installing power for greenhouse/shed

Old November 18th 05, 03:31 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Installing power for greenhouse/shed

Hi,

I wish to install an extension for my greenhouse and shed. However am
now aware of the rules concerning needing to get this signed off.

To save myself money, how much of the work can I do myself? i.e. can I
lay the armoured cable, and just get a sparky in to do the sockets/plug
either end?

What other regulations must I consider? How deep and how exactly is the
armoured cable laid? Anywhere I can read up on this?

Maybe it'd be cheaper and easier to just get a gas heater for the
greenhouse! but wouldnt mind electicitiy for the shed too..

Dan

Old November 18th 05, 04:28 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18 Nov 2005 06:31:36 -0800, "Connor T" wrote:

Hi,

I wish to install an extension for my greenhouse and shed. However am
now aware of the rules concerning needing to get this signed off.

To save myself money, how much of the work can I do myself?

All of it - just treat these ridiculous rules with the contempt they deserve.
Old November 18th 05, 05:34 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

To save myself money, how much of the work can I do myself? i.e. can I
lay the armoured cable, and just get a sparky in to do the sockets/plug
either end?

You can do all of it. Legally, the council could even contract you to sign
it off at the end, too! Indeed, I've heard of it being done. A loophole
means that the inspector need not be approved. However, this won't apply in
your case, as the case in question involved someone who knew what he was
doing and had all the equipment and could write the inspection certificate.

Basically, you can do all the work in its entirety and then ask the council
to sign it off.

Christian.