Repairing broken bricks

Old November 16th 05, 03:56 PM
john

Default Repairing broken bricks

I have one or two bricks (at window openings, pipe openings, etc) where the
brick has broken and I would like to stick the broken bits back. What do you
suggest. Obvioulsly I need minimal thickness to preseve the shape.

John

Old November 16th 05, 04:29 PM
bland

"john" wrote in message
I have one or two bricks (at window openings, pipe openings, etc) where the
brick has broken and I would like to stick the broken bits back. What do
you suggest. Obvioulsly I need minimal thickness to preseve the shape.

I tried cement mortar with a good proportion of powdered red brick to get
the colour approximately right.

bland

Old November 16th 05, 04:59 PM
john

"bland" wrote in message

"john" wrote in message
I have one or two bricks (at window openings, pipe openings, etc) where
the brick has broken and I would like to stick the broken bits back. What
do you suggest. Obvioulsly I need minimal thickness to preseve the shape.

I tried cement mortar with a good proportion of powdered red brick to get
the colour approximately right.

bland

Mmmm - I was hoping to find an adhesive that wouldn't add any thickness -
just to stick the pieces back

Old November 16th 05, 05:26 PM
Chris Bacon

john wrote:
I was hoping to find an adhesive that wouldn't add any thickness -
just to stick the pieces back

In what way are they broken? Couldn't you use araldite,
or poxy resin? A tin of polyester resin as used in car
body repairs?
Old November 16th 05, 07:52 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

john Wrote:
I have one or two bricks (at window openings, pipe openings, etc) where
the
brick has broken and I would like to stick the broken bits back. What
do you
suggest. Obvioulsly I need minimal thickness to preseve the shape.

John

Use an epoxy resin i.e. Araldite. Clean the loose dust etc of the
bricks and they should stick ok. I used to buy "special" bricks like
doglegs from a firm that made them by cutting and glueing with epoxy.

--
Nick H
Old November 16th 05, 08:40 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

john wrote:
I have one or two bricks (at window openings, pipe openings, etc) where the
brick has broken and I would like to stick the broken bits back. What do you
suggest. Obvioulsly I need minimal thickness to preseve the shape.

John

Any kind of resin glue, epoxy, polyester. Or grind a slot and turn the
break into a new mortar joint.

NT

Old November 16th 05, 09:40 PM
Junior Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Bacon
john wrote:
I was hoping to find an adhesive that wouldn't add any thickness -
just to stick the pieces back

In what way are they broken? Couldn't you use araldite,
or poxy resin? A tin of polyester resin as used in car
body repairs?
try using clear silicone
Old November 17th 05, 10:59 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

No need to mess about with araldite or epoxy.

Just use clear silicone.

The traditional way is a blob or mortar and brick dust, but
effectiveness in terms of blending in depends on the type of brick.