The Natural Philosopher

Default Bloody washing machines..

Oh dear. I hate this washing machine.

I amn tempted to replace it, but just in case its worth fixing...

.... it leaks water.

Not when I haul it out and watch it run through a cycle...but when it is
actually washing - especially big or eccentric loads we THINK.

It's a Hotpont...I suspect the plastic drum is cracked or something...is
this worth fixing or is it a chuck job?

Its already sheared off the mountings for the weights which are car body
fillered back on to it.

If its a chuck job, how much is a simple reliabel washing machine that does
cold as well as hot washing, these days..?
The3rd Earl Of Derby

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Oh dear. I hate this washing machine.

I amn tempted to replace it, but just in case its worth fixing...

... it leaks water.

Not when I haul it out and watch it run through a cycle...but when it
is actually washing - especially big or eccentric loads we THINK.

It's a Hotpont...I suspect the plastic drum is cracked or
something...is this worth fixing or is it a chuck job?

Its already sheared off the mountings for the weights which are car
body fillered back on to it.

If its a chuck job, how much is a simple reliabel washing machine
that does cold as well as hot washing, these days..?

Usually it's the rubber boot(circular rubber seal at the front), that needs
replacing or the hose underneath the outer drum.
However if the sheard of its mountings and is erratic in operation it's
time for a new xmas prezzie. :-)

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Bob Eager

On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 10:56:23 UTC, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Oh dear. I hate this washing machine.
... it leaks water.

Check the door seal - it'll get flexed more if there's an eccentric
load. Look for cracks and perishing. Only about 7-8 quid and a few
minutes to fix it.
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher writes:
Oh dear. I hate this washing machine.

I amn tempted to replace it, but just in case its worth fixing...

... it leaks water.

Not when I haul it out and watch it run through a cycle...but when it is
actually washing - especially big or eccentric loads we THINK.

Well, do a big load in it, hauled out.
Any clues where the water comes from, as in back/front, left/right?

It's a Hotpont...I suspect the plastic drum is cracked or something...is
this worth fixing or is it a chuck job?

I don't think drum cracking is a common cause of water leaks.
New outer drums are of the order of £100.

Its already sheared off the mountings for the weights which are car body
fillered back on to it.

A colleague bought one ~20 years ago. First time he used it, the
concrete weights turned into a pile of sand on the floor. I think
they forgot to put any cement in the mixture;-) Mine, which is
only a year younger, is still going, but probably near the end.
I damaged the outer drum when replacing the drum bearings.

--
Andrew Gabriel
andy hall

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Oh dear. I hate this washing machine.

I amn tempted to replace it, but just in case its worth fixing...

... it leaks water.

Not when I haul it out and watch it run through a cycle...but when it is
actually washing - especially big or eccentric loads we THINK.

It's a Hotpont..

There's your problem right there.

.I suspect the plastic drum is cracked or something...is
this worth fixing or is it a chuck job?

Its already sheared off the mountings for the weights which are car body
fillered back on to it.

If its a chuck job, how much is a simple reliabel washing machine that does
cold as well as hot washing, these days..?

I suggest the following steps

- Check on the Miele web site for what you want. Most of the range
carries a 10 year parts and labour warranty all handled by the
manufacturer's excellent service operation.

- Then find the cheapest web price for it. Starts around £600

- Get on with the rest of your life because the problem will be solved
for at least 10 and probably 20 years.

Holly, in France

wrote:

Oh dear. I hate this washing machine.
... it leaks water.

Check the door seal - it'll get flexed more if there's an eccentric
load. Look for cracks and perishing.

Been there done this, I think you could be right. One of my machine
leaks only with big/heavy loads and it's because there is a little crack
at the top of the door seal. Haven't got round to changing it yet so I
just use it for smaller loads.
--
Holly, in France
Holiday Home in Dordogne

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
If its a chuck job, how much is a simple reliabel washing machine that does
cold as well as hot washing, these days..?

If you mean hot and cold fill, there's little point these days as they use
so little water that the hot won't get time to get hot by the time the
machine is full.

--
*The colder the X-ray table, the more of your body is required on it *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Tim S

On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 23:41:12 -0800, andy hall wrote:

I suggest the following steps

- Check on the Miele web site for what you want. Most of the range carries
a 10 year parts and labour warranty all handled by the manufacturer's
excellent service operation.

- Then find the cheapest web price for it. Starts around £600

- Get on with the rest of your life because the problem will be solved for
at least 10 and probably 20 years.

I second that.

Our machine just died, so we got the bottom end Miele after considering
Bosch high end (Logixx range). Bosch products have served us well but the
Miele washing machine was just more solidly built.

We got a Premier 500, which weighs considerably more than what it replaced
(they say they use cast iron tank ballast weights rather than concrete),
runs really quite quietly and has pretty much every programme feature we
wanted. Miele build quality does seem to extend to even the smallest
aspect of the machine. Came with a free 5 year warrenty too

Currys web site offered it last month at 479.95 which I was extremely
surprised when our local Currys store price matched exactly and had it to
us in 5 days. Do try that approach, they seem to be quite flexible.

Tim
The Natural Philosopher

wrote:

Oh dear. I hate this washing machine.
... it leaks water.

Check the door seal - it'll get flexed more if there's an eccentric
load. Look for cracks and perishing.

Been there done this, I think you could be right. One of my machine
leaks only with big/heavy loads and it's because there is a little crack
at the top of the door seal. Haven't got round to changing it yet so I
just use it for smaller loads.

As far as I scan tell te seal is OK, although te water DIES seem to come
from towards teh front of te machine.

I would love to splah out (har har) 600 notes on a relaible machine...but
even mieles are not foolproof these days. And a 600 quid machine that only
does 10 years is the same as a 300 quid machine that lasts 5 years...or
slightly worise when you take the cost of finance into account..

I'll double check the seal though.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble

wrote:

Oh dear. I hate this washing machine.
... it leaks water.

Check the door seal - it'll get flexed more if there's an eccentric
load. Look for cracks and perishing.

Been there done this, I think you could be right. One of my machine
leaks only with big/heavy loads and it's because there is a little crack
at the top of the door seal. Haven't got round to changing it yet so I
just use it for smaller loads.

As far as I scan tell te seal is OK, although te water DIES seem to come
from towards teh front of te machine.

I would love to splah out (har har) 600 notes on a relaible machine...but
even mieles are not foolproof these days. And a 600 quid machine that only
does 10 years is the same as a 300 quid machine that lasts 5 years...or
slightly worise when you take the cost of finance into account..

I'll double check the seal though.

If your requirements are normal (and who the hell uses all those fancy
settings anyway?) you might as well go for a sub £200 Servis or similar.
We had a cheap Spanish brand (Balay?) for 15 years, and we had an
engineer out once IIRC.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Holly, in France

wrote:

[...]

Ooh dear me, for once I'm not in agreement (or at least not entirely!)
with Andy Hall! That must be a first:-) - not counting the education
debate which I have long since given up on! If I had the money I *would*
actually buy a Miele, but since I haven't I have fairly recently bought,
to replace an old Siemens, two cheap French own-brand machines. They
were 179 and 199 euros, ie less than 150GBP each, have 1000 and 1200
spin speeds, more programmes than I am ever likely to use, have a 2 year
guarantee (one now over 2 years old, fine so far) and one in particular
is exceptionally quiet (alas not the one currently in the house!). So,
environmental/recycling issues aside, I am happy with these. Time will
tell though, I'll let you know in a few years time.....

--
Holly, in France
Holiday Home in Dordogne
http://la-plaine.chez.tiscali.fr/

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Holly, in France

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

I'll double check the seal though.

Well? :-))

Washing machines MG UK diy 3 September 22nd 05 05:00 PM
Improved!! reduced water consumption washing machines Capitol UK diy 3 April 11th 05 11:33 PM
Two washing machines Mark Hewitt UK diy 14 February 4th 05 12:44 AM
Maytag washing machines: beware William Wuister Home Repair 16 November 17th 03 05:53 AM
Miele washing machines Conrad Edwards UK diy 50 July 29th 03 04:01 PM