Senior Member

Default Fixing toilet pan to tiled floor

Is there a standard way of fixing a toilet pan to a marble tiled floor? The old pan, that I am replacing, left, at the back, two grey blobs of epoxy type resin, very hard, that is solidly fixed to the marble tiles on the floor (perhaps with something screwed into the floor, I don’t know). The resin protrudes and fits into the two back holes at the base of the pan. I could use these two fixed points with some more epoxy type glue.

At the front the unit had two big blobs of silicone that came unstuck from the tiles, nothing fixed to the floor. I could copy the same.

However, since I need to redo plumbing and the fixing of the cistern at the back (because of different toilet dimensions), I am thinking of bringing the toilet closer to the wall and that requires four new fixings to the floor.

Thanks,

Antonio
Rick

I have fixed the 3 wc's in my place simply by bedding them on a good
quality anti-fungal silicone.

The Natural Philosopher

On 15 Nov 2005 10:44:18 -0800, Rick wrote:

I have fixed the 3 wc's in my place simply by bedding them on a good
quality anti-fungal silicone.

Thats no bad way.

The grey stuff that was there already is probably car body filler. Next to
PVA glue, it has more uses to fill gaps and stick unlikley things together
then almost any other substance.

Its worth a try. I use it extensively when making edgings for acrylic baths
- stick bits of wood to them with it and then fix to the wood.
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Natural Philosopher
On 15 Nov 2005 10:44:18 -0800, Rick wrote:

I have fixed the 3 wc's in my place simply by bedding them on a good
quality anti-fungal silicone.

Thats no bad way.

The grey stuff that was there already is probably car body filler. Next to
PVA glue, it has more uses to fill gaps and stick unlikley things together
then almost any other substance.

Its worth a try. I use it extensively when making edgings for acrylic baths
- stick bits of wood to them with it and then fix to the wood.
Body car filler, interesting, thank you very much for the tip, makes sense, and I will certainly give it a try (if you have a web address to get it from it would be great)

I agree also that a good bed of silicone may just do it, I have noticed that other toilet pans at home may just have that.

I am going to do it haf way then: Body car filler through the two holes with grey stuff already, hoping they will bond somewhat, and a good bed of silicone all around the base.

Thanks,

Antonio
Senior Member

Good point, I guess the poster before meant a good "beading".

I understand, I will inject silicone around from outside once the pan is touching the floor, I won't lay a bed of silicone and rest the pan on top.

Thanks for the clarification.