Turv

Default Lighting circuit problems

Hi all, I've been lurking for some time now, and have found loads of
useful info, but now I have a problem!!

At the weekend I cladded the kitchen ceiling, which has one ceiling
rose at each end. Saturday I removed the rose, cladded and refixed -
everything working no problem. Sunday I completed the job, removeing
both ceiling rose and pull switch along the way, and replacing EXACTLY
as it was.

Well now half of the downstairs lights refuse to work, although a
voltage beep tester thing indicates there is some voltage up in the
roses of the non working ones. The fuse is fine- all sownstairs
lights are on the same one, and surely if I had inadvertantly nailed
into a cable, I would have known about it?

The house still has its original wiring, unfortunately - the pull
switch, which seems to be some kind of master (because similar houses
to mine have had all sorts of weird problems when wired incorrectly),
has three wires to one terminal, and one to the other. Unfortunately
all red!!!!!. Now obviously this worked originally, so I am boggled!

A spark friend of mine cannot understand the problem over the phone,
and I can't afford to get one in, so can anybody shed any light on the
subject? I am normally quite competent with electrics, but cannot get
my head around this!!
Christian McArdle

Well now half of the downstairs lights refuse to work, although
a voltage beep tester thing indicates there is some voltage up
in the roses of the non working ones.

You've probably chopped a cable, or it has slipped out of its terminal. The
beep voltage tester is about as useful as a chocolate sock. Open up the
boxes and make sure all the cables are tightly held by their terminals. If
the kitchen light works, it is probably the circuit loop out that has
failed. If it doesn't, it is probably the loop in.

Christian.

Turv

Most likely. Double check the neutral connections inside the kitchen roses

Adam

Cheers, I'll check taht over the weekend. Only just been back to
check for replies, which is surprising as the wife mentions the lack
of lights every two minutes, whilst also insisting that I install
cladding and spotlights in the bathroom/toilet at the same time(which
was a perfectly successful project, i may add!!)