Nightdrive

Default Formable plastic plumbing pipe on Discovery H&L

I think it was 'on site story', and they were laying underfloor heating
pipes. I was interested to note that the plastic pipe was formable, i.e. the
guy bend it round his foot and it stayed there!
After just plumbing in my new hot and cold water tanks with 22mm speedfit
pipe I realise the benefits of the pipe staying where you put it. Don't get
me wrong, I found speedfit superb for getting through the tight confines of
my loft without having to bend and rebend copper, and despite the worries of
some traditional plumbers, I love the connectors too. But moldable pipe -
that would have been better. The speedfit has 'memory' in that it wants to
return to the coil it came in - and you end up wrestling it.

Anyone know what this plastic pipe is? Is it only for underfloor?
I have CH to fit next year, and it's worth me knowing.

TIA

Greg

David W.E. Roberts

"Nightdrive" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

The shorter straight lengths of Speedfit pipe will bend in a normal pipe
bender.
They have some memory so you have to bend a bit further to allow for the
spring back.
So far I haven't used the stuff in a coil so I don't know if this behaves
the same.

Cheers
Dave R

Grunff

David W.E. Roberts wrote:

So far I haven't used the stuff in a coil so I don't know if this behaves
the same.

The stuff in a coil behaves as if posessed by demons, and should
be avoided by all (unless you have special powers or something).

--
Grunff

Mark

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 11:24:12 +0100, Grunff wrote:

David W.E. Roberts wrote:

So far I haven't used the stuff in a coil so I don't know if this behaves
the same.

The stuff in a coil behaves as if posessed by demons, and should
be avoided by all (unless you have special powers or something).

Haha, I just found that out... :-)

Mark S.

IMM

"Grunff" wrote in message
David W.E. Roberts wrote:

So far I haven't used the stuff in a coil so I don't know if this

behaves
the same.

The stuff in a coil behaves as if posessed by demons, and should
be avoided by all (unless you have special powers or something).

Then use copper and brass push-fit joints. Using straight rigid lengths of
Speedfit is not different to using copper. Copper is far cheaper and you
can use brass push-fit or plastic fittings.

---

Grunff

IMM wrote:

Then use copper and brass push-fit joints. Using straight rigid lengths of
Speedfit is not different to using copper. Copper is far cheaper and you
can use brass push-fit or plastic fittings.

When doing a straight 3m run, yes, copper. But the straight
lengths of pushfit can still be snaked around (more easily than
the coils in fact), so they still save on elbows.

--
Grunff

Grunff

Grunff wrote:

When doing a straight 3m run, yes, copper. But the straight lengths of
pushfit can still be snaked around (more easily than the coils in fact),
so they still save on elbows.

That should of course read "straight lengths of
speedfit can still"

--
Grunff

Peter Parry

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 11:24:12 +0100, Grunff wrote:

The stuff in a coil behaves as if posessed by demons, and should
be avoided by all (unless you have special powers or something).

I wonder if this explains why, on a nearby building site, the usual
non-working hours anti-theft precaution of dangling things like
generators 100ft in the air on a crane was embellished recently by
having 4 very long lengths of plastic pipe between generators etc and
the crane hooks. Decoiling it?

--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/
Nightdrive

So, basically, no-one can answer my question then!!!

Grunff

Peter Parry wrote:

The stuff in a coil behaves as if posessed by demons, and should
be avoided by all (unless you have special powers or something).

I wonder if this explains why, on a nearby building site, the usual
non-working hours anti-theft precaution of dangling things like
generators 100ft in the air on a crane was embellished recently by
having 4 very long lengths of plastic pipe between generators etc and
the crane hooks. Decoiling it?

Now why didn't I think of that?

--
Grunff

IMM

"Peter Parry" wrote in message
On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 11:24:12 +0100, Grunff wrote:

The stuff in a coil behaves as if posessed by demons, and should
be avoided by all (unless you have special powers or something).

I wonder if this explains why, on a nearby building site, the usual
non-working hours anti-theft precaution of dangling things like
generators 100ft in the air on a crane was embellished recently by
having 4 very long lengths of plastic pipe between generators etc and
the crane hooks. Decoiling it?

I certainly would not use that pipe on a water system afterwards.

---

IMM

"Nightdrive" wrote in message

So, basically, no-one can answer my question then!!!

Probably Santoprene underfloor pipe.

---

Toby

Grunff wrote:
Nightdrive wrote:
So, basically, no-one can answer my question then!!!

Oh, sorry, got carried away.

Yes, I've seen it - it has an aluminium layer bonded between two
plastic layers. Can't remember who makes it - sorry. Phone a
plumbers merchant?

Distributed by Unipipe(.co.uk)
Continental-UFH(.com) in Devon use and supply this.

" the latest multi layer pipe constructed from cross-linked polyethylene
(PE-Xc) sandwiching a layer of aluminium. This provides supreme strength and
is guaranteed to be 100% oxygen impermeable, unlike PEX or PB pipe. It is
quick and easy to fit because it holds it shape when bent. "

Thicker walls means it's more a proprietary system than regular push fit
stuff.

Toby.