stixwix

Default Xpelair extractor fan

Hi,

I have one of the above with an automatic shutter that opens when it is
switched on (this makes quite a loud noise when it opens). The fan
itself still works but the shutter now fails to open (and makes no
noise). Does anyone know whether these things have replaceable parts
such that this shutter opener could be repaired?
Regards,
Andy

Derek ^

On 5 Nov 2005 03:59:46 -0800, "stixwix" wrote:

Hi,

I have one of the above with an automatic shutter that opens when it is
switched on (this makes quite a loud noise when it opens). The fan
itself still works but the shutter now fails to open (and makes no
noise). Does anyone know whether these things have replaceable parts
such that this shutter opener could be repaired?

If it's the type with a lot of horizontal slats all coupled together
they can get stuck solid with grease. This will respond to a good
soaking in hot water and washing up liquid.

The slats are operated by a mains solenoid which I suppose can fail,
or can also get gummed up.

If the noise you refer to is 2-3 seconds of loud buzzing followed by a
whack as the slats open, that buzzing is a sign it's getting greased
up, a pristine one opens instantaneously.

These people have branches throughout the country.

http://www.fansandspares.co.uk/home.htm

DG

DJC

stixwix wrote:
Hi,

I have one of the above with an automatic shutter that opens when it is
switched on (this makes quite a loud noise when it opens). The fan
itself still works but the shutter now fails to open (and makes no
noise). Does anyone know whether these things have replaceable parts
such that this shutter opener could be repaired?

Try cleaning it. Grease ec is usually the cause

--
David Clark

$message_body_include ="PLES RING IF AN RNSR IS REQIRD"
John

In article .com,
"stixwix" wrote:

I have one of the above with an automatic shutter that opens when it is
switched on (this makes quite a loud noise when it opens). The fan
itself still works but the shutter now fails to open (and makes no
noise).

As others have said: it needs cleaning. I have an Xpelair, and it is
supremely easy to dismount from its housing, and to dismantle. Be
prepared to be disgusted by the grease. Only ONE liquid will get the
grease off: white spirit; you also need a small, old paintbrush, and a
new roll of kitchen roll. Then wash it in hot soapy water (but obviously
not the motor, like). If you've never cleaned it, it will take you
ages, but it will be well worth it.

A nice, simple DIY job which brings great and instant rewards: how many
of 'em are like that.

John

Junior Member

Location: Berkshire
Smile

One minor thought, depends on how old the fan is. If it's pretty old it will not necessarily have a solenoid to operate the louvres. In the big old ones from 20 plus years ago - much better quality and not so much to go wrong - the louvres are actuated by switching on, where the switch operating mechanism has a flat piece of metal on top and when the cord is pulled, the flat comes down and lets the spring loading open the louvres. These do need cleansing, as in previous answers, but it may just be that the cover has been put back wrongly and it may be fouling the operating mechanism. If the kouvres break you might be in some trouble so treat them gently. They don't sell replacements for the old ones any more BUT; you can 'splint' the break with some slim spills of wood and two-part silicone or resin glue.

I've been there, done that and still have a fully operational (and clean) fan

docusk