Default Removing Lino Adhesive: Skarsten Scraper

I'm clearing some old lino tiles from my bedroom floor (so that it can
be sanded). I'm having problems getting the adhesive up - basically
it's sticky, gloopy & horrible. I think that the adhesive is possibly
latex based and someone's recommended using a 'skarsten' scraper.

I haven't heard of them before but I've managed to find this "Skarsten
Style Scraper" at http://tinyurl.com/ctnhw I'm not sure if this is the
best tool for the job or if something like this "Bahco 440 Universal
Scraper" at http://tinyurl.com/78n65 would be better.

Any recommendations / experience would be welcome.

Regards,

Michael

EricP

On 31 Oct 2005 05:42:25 -0800, wrote:

I'm clearing some old lino tiles from my bedroom floor (so that it can
be sanded). I'm having problems getting the adhesive up - basically
it's sticky, gloopy & horrible. I think that the adhesive is possibly
latex based and someone's recommended using a 'skarsten' scraper.

I haven't heard of them before but I've managed to find this "Skarsten
Style Scraper" at
http://tinyurl.com/ctnhw I'm not sure if this is the
best tool for the job or if something like this "Bahco 440 Universal
Scraper" at http://tinyurl.com/78n65 would be better.

Any recommendations / experience would be welcome.

Regards,

Michael

This scraper is a wood finishing tool. It is normally used to remove
varnish from quality woodwork like doors and tables. It may be too
delicate for your purpose. The blades also have little space for crap
to collect so you will spend more time cleaning the blade than using
it.

Matthew

We had the same problem in our bathroom. It was quicker in the end to
replace the t+g floorboards and the wood was ready to go! Only cost
about 50 quid.

Generally a skarsten is for drawing the grain out of wood for the final
finish.

Thanks,
Matthew

Mr Fuxit

http://www.google.com/url?sa=D&q=htt...yurl.com/ctnhw
I haven't heard of them before but I've managed to find this "Skarsten
Style Scraper" at http://tinyurl.com/ctnhw I'm not sure if this is the
best tool for the job or if something like this "Bahco 440 Universal
Scraper" at http://tinyurl.com/78n65 would be better.

Any recommendations / experience would be welcome.

If you're going to try scraping the floor, go for the Bahco (Sandvik);
it has tungsten carbide blades which are reversible, last longer than
the Skarsten's steel blades, and can, if you have a diamond sharpening
stone, be easily sharpened by honing the front of the blade (don't
touch the bevel!).

Reading the replies it sounds like the scraper was recommended as the
lino is glued directly to the floorboards and this type of scraper
would be less likely to damage the floorboards than other methods.

Given the other reply it sounds like the Bahco / Sandvik scraper might
be the better way to go. I think it's probably worth a try given how
long it's taking using normal scraping / hot air.

Michael