Jerry

Default Boiler efficiency question

I was wondering if anyone can answer a question for me.

I borrowed a flue gas analyser to check my oil boiler efficiency
recently. It seems to be working just fine according to the analyser
but there was one parameter 'smoke number' given on the boiler data
sheet as 0-1 which the analyser didn't test for. Is there a conversion
formula that you can use to get this figure. The analyser provided
figures for flue gas temp, oxygen, carbon dioxide, carbon monoxide and
boiler efficiency.

Thanks Jerry

John

"Jerry" wrote in message
I was wondering if anyone can answer a question for me.

I borrowed a flue gas analyser to check my oil boiler efficiency
recently. It seems to be working just fine according to the analyser
but there was one parameter 'smoke number' given on the boiler data
sheet as 0-1 which the analyser didn't test for. Is there a conversion
formula that you can use to get this figure. The analyser provided
figures for flue gas temp, oxygen, carbon dioxide, carbon monoxide and
boiler efficiency.

Most analysers do not give a smoke reading. (A couple of expensive
exceptions) but require the operator to use a Draeger type aspiration pump
with a filter paper in the flow path of the flue products. A chemical test
set such as a Brigon or a Fyrite contains the appropriate piece of kit. to
use it you put the sample tube into the flue sample point and draw five full
strokes of the pump through it to give the required volume pass. the filter
paper is then removed and the sample "spot" on the paper compared\with
standard colour samples designated on a scale known as Baccarach number.
electronic samplers exist but suffer from smoke/soot deposits on the
sampling optics

What figures did you get btw?

Grimly Curmudgeon

drugs began to take hold. I remember Jerry
saying something like:

I borrowed a flue gas analyser to check my oil boiler efficiency
recently. It seems to be working just fine according to the analyser
but there was one parameter 'smoke number' given on the boiler data
sheet as 0-1 which the analyser didn't test for. Is there a conversion
formula that you can use to get this figure. The analyser provided
figures for flue gas temp, oxygen, carbon dioxide, carbon monoxide and
boiler efficiency.

Don't take the chance of using the analyser without doing the smoke test
first. Too high a smoke content in the flue could bugger up the sensor
in the kit.

The idea is to reduce the smoke reading first, then use the analyser.

Have a look on ebay for 'smoke tester' and 'combustion analyser' and one
or two smoke testers will pop up.

80quid a pop.
--

Dave
Jerry

In article , John
writes

"Jerry" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Hi

Do heating engineers normally do a smoke test when they test the flue
gas?

The results I got we

Ambient temp 25.1 deg C
Flue gas temp: 159.2 deg C
Oxygen: 4.6%
Carbon monoxide: 10 ppm
Carbon dioxide: 12.1%
Poison index: .0001 Rat (whatever that is)
Gross efficiency: 87.8%
Net efficiency: 93.1%
Carbon monoxide undiluted: 13 ppm (whatever that is)

The data sheet for the boiler only gives the following values:
Smoke No 0-1, CO2 12%, Approx flue gas temp: 165 deg C

Jerry

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
Jerry writes:

The results I got we

Ambient temp 25.1 deg C
Flue gas temp: 159.2 deg C
Oxygen: 4.6%
Carbon monoxide: 10 ppm
Carbon dioxide: 12.1%
Poison index: .0001 Rat (whatever that is)

It's probably the CO/CO2 ratio (it's about the right value).
If so, figures above 0.004 (IIRC) tend to indicate the boiler isn't
burning gas as well as it should, and figures above 0.008 would
indicate a need for servicing. 0.0001 is a good value.

Gross efficiency: 87.8%
Net efficiency: 93.1%
Carbon monoxide undiluted: 13 ppm (whatever that is)

The data sheet for the boiler only gives the following values:
Smoke No 0-1, CO2 12%, Approx flue gas temp: 165 deg C

--
Andrew Gabriel
John

"Jerry" wrote in message
In article , John
writes

"Jerry" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

When dealing with oil boilers this is the first test you do! Drawing soot
particles into an analyser "is a very bad thing" and results in rapid
failure of the cell.

The results I got we

Ambient temp 25.1 deg C
Flue gas temp: 159.2 deg C
Oxygen: 4.6%
Carbon monoxide: 10 ppm
Carbon dioxide: 12.1%
Poison index: .0001 Rat (whatever that is)
Gross efficiency: 87.8%
Net efficiency: 93.1%
Carbon monoxide undiluted: 13 ppm (whatever that is)

The data sheet for the boiler only gives the following values:
Smoke No 0-1, CO2 12%, Approx flue gas temp: 165 deg C

The only figures of note are those which the boiler makers give examples of.
As you will see from your results the others are either simple indicators
(useful ones though) or have very low levels as in the carbon monoxide
reading (ppm = parts per million). CO is very low with pressure jet burners
as incomplete/unsatisfactory combustion results in soot rather than CO hence
the smoke reading test.

Matt Beard

Poison index: .0001 Rat (whatever that is)

I seem to recall that poisons were traditionally tested by giving
samples to rats - if the rat died it was poisonous!

As chemistry got more advanced they started measuring how strong a
poison was - something twice as strong as required to kill a rat would
be 2 Rat, something half as strong as required to kill a rat would be
0.5 Rat.

0.0001 Rat sounds like a very low toxicity to me.

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
Jerry writes:

The results I got we

Ambient temp 25.1 deg C
Flue gas temp: 159.2 deg C
Oxygen: 4.6%
Carbon monoxide: 10 ppm
Carbon dioxide: 12.1%
Poison index: .0001 Rat (whatever that is)

It's probably the CO/CO2 ratio (it's about the right value).
If so, figures above 0.004 (IIRC) tend to indicate the boiler isn't
burning gas as well as it should, and figures above 0.008 would
indicate a need for servicing. 0.0001 is a good value.

Oh, I didn't notice it's an oil boiler.
The figures I gave are for gas. No ideal about oil, sorry.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Grimly Curmudgeon

drugs began to take hold. I remember Jerry
saying something like:

Ambient temp 25.1 deg C
Flue gas temp: 159.2 deg C
Oxygen: 4.6%
Carbon monoxide: 10 ppm
Carbon dioxide: 12.1%
Poison index: .0001 Rat (whatever that is)
Gross efficiency: 87.8%
Net efficiency: 93.1%
Carbon monoxide undiluted: 13 ppm (whatever that is)

The data sheet for the boiler only gives the following values:
Smoke No 0-1, CO2 12%, Approx flue gas temp: 165 deg C

Looks like you got away with not doing a smoke test. The results are
pretty good. For future reference though, you should ask to borrow the
smoke tester as well as the analyser.
--

Dave

Condensing Boiler News RedOnRed UK diy 0 April 9th 05 05:37 PM
combi boiler - efficiency and cost ARWadsworth UK diy 23 January 4th 05 02:12 PM
Mixing header and pumps John Aston UK diy 79 December 8th 04 09:50 AM
Heat banks (again!) Dave UK diy 148 September 6th 04 08:45 PM
Another heating problem question! David Hearn UK diy 9 December 12th 03 08:29 PM