Séan Connolly

Default Surface Mount Shower

I need to install a new shower fed from a combi boiler. It needs to be
surface mount as the wall it will go on isn't drylined (so no space behind
the plaster board) and the room is too small to have a stud wall put in.

Is it possible to get a thermostatic shower where the water feed can be
visible e.g. chrome pipe mounted on the wall, or maybe the rail combines the
water feed ?

There was one monuted previously (manual mixer), which had two chrome pipes
coming up to the valve from the floor, but I can't seem to find one
anywhere, plus having two pipes looked a bit iffy imo.

Thanks

Séan

Grumps

Séan Connolly wrote:
I need to install a new shower fed from a combi boiler. It needs to
be surface mount as the wall it will go on isn't drylined (so no
space behind the plaster board) and the room is too small to have a
stud wall put in.

Is it possible to get a thermostatic shower where the water feed can
be visible e.g. chrome pipe mounted on the wall, or maybe the rail
combines the water feed ?

There was one monuted previously (manual mixer), which had two chrome
pipes coming up to the valve from the floor, but I can't seem to find
one anywhere, plus having two pipes looked a bit iffy imo.

Thanks

Séan

If you have a fair bit of money, then Aqualisa could probably help with
their Quartz off-the-wall series.

Séan Connolly

If you have a fair bit of money, then Aqualisa could probably help with
their Quartz off-the-wall series.

Ahh, just been looking at these.

I take it the hot and cold goes to the mixer device *somewhere* and the
mixed water is then delivered though the ceiling ?

Grumps

Séan Connolly wrote:
If you have a fair bit of money, then Aqualisa could probably help
with their Quartz off-the-wall series.

Ahh, just been looking at these.

I take it the hot and cold goes to the mixer device *somewhere* and
the mixed water is then delivered though the ceiling ?

Yes. That's how mine works.
It also seems to be completely impervious to flushing toilets and other
water usage etc, and maintains the set temperature accurately (or maybe
that's just due to my expert plumbing

Séan Connolly

Yes. That's how mine works.

Where have you got the mixer unit ? I presume there is some electrical
connection from there to the shower for the LED. How's that wired in ?

It also seems to be completely impervious to flushing toilets and other
water usage etc, and maintains the set temperature accurately (or maybe
that's just due to my expert plumbing

But of course ;-)

Grumps

Séan Connolly wrote:
Yes. That's how mine works.

Where have you got the mixer unit ? I presume there is some
electrical connection from there to the shower for the LED. How's
that wired in ?

There are loads of places that they say you can put the mixer/pump. I've got
mine in the airing cupboard, but it could just as easily go in the loft.
There is a low-voltage wire that runs from the control to the pump. The wire
runs inside the chrome pipe. The 15mm mixed water pipe also runs inside this
chrome pipe.
If the run of pipe to the pump/control is long, then you have to wait until
this water is flushed out before the temperature is correct. The mixing and
temperature monitoring happens at the pump, not at the control dial.

Séan Connolly

There are loads of places that they say you can put the mixer/pump. I've
got
mine in the airing cupboard, but it could just as easily go in the loft.
There is a low-voltage wire that runs from the control to the pump. The
wire
runs inside the chrome pipe. The 15mm mixed water pipe also runs inside
this
chrome pipe.
If the run of pipe to the pump/control is long, then you have to wait
until
this water is flushed out before the temperature is correct. The mixing
and
temperature monitoring happens at the pump, not at the control dial.

Thanks for that, gone and ordered one

Apparently you can run the water from the bottom as well, which will be
better for us I think (less buggering about in the loft is allways welcome)

John Rumm

Séan Connolly wrote:

Apparently you can run the water from the bottom as well, which will be
better for us I think (less buggering about in the loft is allways welcome)

Too much buggering about and it won't only be water running from your
bottom! ;-) (so I read!)

--
Cheers,

John.

Surface Mount Metal Raceway [email protected] Home Repair 2 September 19th 05 09:20 PM
Shower bath mixer tap woes Andy UK diy 8 August 22nd 05 03:43 PM
Surface Mount Resistor blows- [email protected] Electronics Repair 5 July 18th 05 04:51 PM
power/electric shower Graham Wilson UK diy 1 May 29th 04 01:07 PM
Grooveless shower head pipe? Robert Schultz Home Repair 3 January 3rd 04 04:40 AM