Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Supplier for Clock hands

I'll spare you the details,

but I had a clock with a quartz movement which didn't work. I know
have a new movement, but in the process of getting it, have lost the
original hands.

I have gotten some replacements, but SWMBO has declared them so ugly,
she'd rather put the clock in a cupboard as she can't bear to look at
it!

Result!

However, i'd like to get some hands to match the originals if I can.

As best I can remember, they were;

Short (45mm from centre of spindle to end of the longer hand).

Black.

Ornate/pretty (Pierced & antique looking)

Anyone any ideas where I could buy one set of these cheaply, or does
anyone have a set they could send me in return for a little beer money?

Cheers

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mr X

In article , Ian
Stirling writes

wrote:
I'll spare you the details,

but I had a clock with a quartz movement which didn't work. I know
have a new movement, but in the process of getting it, have lost the
original hands.

snip
However, i'd like to get some hands to match the originals if I can.

As best I can remember, they were;

Short (45mm from centre of spindle to end of the longer hand).

Black.

You can make your own using some thin black plastic, or card, and attaching
to the existing hands.

Or buy some from a Second-hand shop.....
--
Mr X
Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message , Mr X
writes
In article , Ian
Stirling writes

wrote:
I'll spare you the details,

but I had a clock with a quartz movement which didn't work. I know
have a new movement, but in the process of getting it, have lost the
original hands.

snip
However, i'd like to get some hands to match the originals if I can.

As best I can remember, they were;

Short (45mm from centre of spindle to end of the longer hand).

Black.

You can make your own using some thin black plastic, or card, and attaching
to the existing hands.

Or buy some from a Second-hand shop.....

Or a minute hand shop ...

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message ,
Howard Neil writes
wrote:
I'll spare you the details,
but I had a clock with a quartz movement which didn't work. I know
have a new movement, but in the process of getting it, have lost the
original hands.
I have gotten some replacements, but SWMBO has declared them so
ugly,
she'd rather put the clock in a cupboard as she can't bear to look at
it!
Result!
However, i'd like to get some hands to match the originals if I can.
As best I can remember, they were;
Short (45mm from centre of spindle to end of the longer hand).
Black.
Ornate/pretty (Pierced & antique looking)
Anyone any ideas where I could buy one set of these cheaply, or does
anyone have a set they could send me in return for a little beer money?
Cheers

Like this (although these might be a little long)?

http://www.craft-supplies.co.uk/cgi-bin/psProdDet.cgi/CL131-5||clock~han
ds~@c~@b|20|user|1,0,0,1|41|

This link opens 8 different URL tabs

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Howard Neil

raden wrote:
In message ,
Howard Neil writes

Like this (although these might be a little long)?

http://www.craft-supplies.co.uk/cgi-bin/psProdDet.cgi/CL131-5||clock~han
ds~@c~@b|20|user|1,0,0,1|41|

This link opens 8 different URL tabs

Oooer. The link works fine in my browser (Firefox). Try the home page:-

http://www.craft-supplies.co.uk/

and type "clock hands" (without the quotes) into the catalogue quick
search box at the top of the page. This leads to 41 choices of hands.
The ornate ones that I was indicating are the top item of page 2.

--
Howard Neil
Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message ,
Howard Neil writes
raden wrote:
In message ,
Howard Neil writes

Like this (although these might be a little long)?

http://www.craft-supplies.co.uk/cgi-bin/psProdDet.cgi/CL131-5||clock~han
ds~@c~@b|20|user|1,0,0,1|41|

This link opens 8 different URL tabs

Oooer. The link works fine in my browser (Firefox). Try the home page:-

Firefox is what I opened it with

http://www.craft-supplies.co.uk/

and type "clock hands" (without the quotes) into the catalogue quick
search box at the top of the page. This leads to 41 choices of hands.
The ornate ones that I was indicating are the top item of page 2.

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message , david lang
writes
wrote:
However, i'd like to get some hands to match the originals if I can.

You need hands.......................

Try http://tinyurl.com/dehna

And that wants me to enable cookies

which, if its more important to them than allowing people to browse
their site ...

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Howard Neil

raden wrote:
In message ,
Howard Neil writes

raden wrote:

In message ,
Howard Neil writes

Like this (although these might be a little long)?

http://www.craft-supplies.co.uk/cgi-bin/psProdDet.cgi/CL131-5||clock~han

ds~@c~@b|20|user|1,0,0,1|41|

This link opens 8 different URL tabs

Oooer. The link works fine in my browser (Firefox). Try the home page:-

Firefox is what I opened it with

That's got me puzzled, as well as intrigued. I cannot think of any
circumstances that a single url should open more than one tab in
Firefox. I was under the impression that multiple tabs only open when
you go to a bookmark group and click "open in tabs". You are not running
TBE as an extension are you, by any chance? That has been known to do
strange things to tabs.

--
Howard Neil

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Howard Neil

raden wrote:
In message , david lang
writes

wrote:

However, i'd like to get some hands to match the originals if I can.

You need hands.......................

Try
http://tinyurl.com/dehna

And that wants me to enable cookies

which, if its more important to them than allowing people to browse
their site ...

This seems to be a badly written site. I do happen to have cookies
enabled and I still got the same message. I think it may be one of those
sites that has only been tested on IE. In other words, not worth wasting
your time with (unless you like importing spyware).

--
Howard Neil
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mr X

In article , raden
writes

In message , Mr X
writes
In article , Ian
Stirling writes

wrote:
I'll spare you the details,

but I had a clock with a quartz movement which didn't work. I know
have a new movement, but in the process of getting it, have lost the
original hands.
snip
However, i'd like to get some hands to match the originals if I can.

As best I can remember, they were;

Short (45mm from centre of spindle to end of the longer hand).

Black.

You can make your own using some thin black plastic, or card, and attaching
to the existing hands.

Or buy some from a Second-hand shop.....

Or a minute hand shop ...

Hooray! Somebody got it...

I was beginning to think my remark had done an enormous "Whoooosh..."
--
Mr X
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Howard Neil

Mr X wrote:

Hooray! Somebody got it...

I was beginning to think my remark had done an enormous "Whoooosh..."

I also clocked it and it was appreciated. :-)

--
Howard Neil
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Howard Neil wrote:

raden wrote:

snip

We seem to have wandered a long way from the original question.

Thanks for the reply guys, I have now sourced some hands which are
acceptable to SWMBO.

BTW, is it possible to buy quiet quartz movements, or are they all
noisey?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mr X

In article , The3rd Earl
Of Derby writes

Mr X wrote:

Hooray! Somebody got it...

I was beginning to think my remark had done an enormous "Whoooosh..."

Time to get your coat.

And my hat...
--
Angus MacCoatup -- Scottish Cloakroom Attendant
Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message ,
Howard Neil writes
raden wrote:
In message ,
Howard Neil writes

raden wrote:

In message ,
Howard Neil writes

Like this (although these might be a little long)?

http://www.craft-supplies.co.uk/cgi-bin/psProdDet.cgi/CL131-5||clock~han
ds~@c~@b|20|user|1,0,0,1|41|

This link opens 8 different URL tabs

Oooer. The link works fine in my browser (Firefox). Try the home page:-

Firefox is what I opened it with

That's got me puzzled, as well as intrigued. I cannot think of any
circumstances that a single url should open more than one tab in
Firefox. I was under the impression that multiple tabs only open when
you go to a bookmark group and click "open in tabs". You are not
running TBE as an extension are you, by any chance? That has been known
to do strange things to tabs.

No

I've not seen it before either

I've just tried it again and I'm getting ...

http://www.craft-supplies.co.uk/cgi-...et.cgi/CL131-5

http://www.btselem.org/index.asp

http://20/ (problem loading page - timed out)

http://www.userfriendly.org/

http://www.php.net/

http://41/ (connection timed out)

and two "untitled"

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Howard Neil

raden wrote:
In message ,
Howard Neil writes

raden wrote:

In message ,
Howard Neil writes

raden wrote:

In message ,
Howard Neil writes

[...]

The first one is the link I posted. I've never seen the others before
and can see no possible connection between them.

--
Howard Neil
Posted to uk.d-i-y
david lang

raden wrote:
BTW, is it possible to buy quiet quartz movements, or are they all
noisey?

You gets what you pay for

If they are expensive you could always buy them on tick...............

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

david lang wrote:
raden wrote:
BTW, is it possible to buy quiet quartz movements, or are they all
noisey?

You gets what you pay for

If they are expensive you could always buy them on tick...............

Dave

Not after those parrots I bought on higher-perches

Zikki

That's Mr Zikki to you!

DOD #6809