Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

Default Replacement gas valve

The quest to debug problems with my mates gas fire goes on. We sorted
the power flue (the fuse in it was a fast blow and not a time delayed
variety as it should have been).

However once that worked (and the fire now lit) we found the fire itself
was making a loud ticking sound (nothing to do with the flue), and the
maximum flame level was lower than expected.

So we had a tame neighbour (who works for BG) look at it, pulled the
whole fire apart and found that somehow water had got into the back of
the fire, and in the process somewhat corroded the solenoid on the main
gas valve. Alas said BG man was unable to source a replacement.

So does anyone know where to get a Maclaren Products (or Johnson
Controls)[1] SM474-0700-VA01 CLA 230V 360mbar gas valve? In fact just a
replacement coil may be good enough - the valve body itself may be ok.

[1] tried emailing the makers - no response as yet.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

John Rumm wrote:
[...]

Internode Ltd - http://www.internode.co.uk |
-----------------------------------------------------------------|
John Rumm - john(at)internode(dot)co(dot)uk |

When you're faced with sourcing parts for an appliance it means two
things...
1. it's as old as the hills.
2. the appliance was discontinued possibly due to a design fault.

I'd of scrapped the fire in the first place if and it looks as if you have
spent a few hours on it.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
John Rumm writes:
The quest to debug problems with my mates gas fire goes on. We sorted
the power flue (the fuse in it was a fast blow and not a time delayed
variety as it should have been).

However once that worked (and the fire now lit) we found the fire itself
was making a loud ticking sound (nothing to do with the flue), and the
maximum flame level was lower than expected.

So we had a tame neighbour (who works for BG) look at it, pulled the
whole fire apart and found that somehow water had got into the back of
the fire, and in the process somewhat corroded the solenoid on the main
gas valve. Alas said BG man was unable to source a replacement.

So does anyone know where to get a Maclaren Products (or Johnson
Controls)[1] SM474-0700-VA01 CLA 230V 360mbar gas valve? In fact just a
replacement coil may be good enough - the valve body itself may be ok.

Try HRPC, although you'll probably need the GC number
or the make/model of the fire, rather than the valve
manufacturer's part number.

If you're anywhere near Luton, there's a place called
something like Leagrave Heating Supplies (can't recall
precisely) at the top of the hill on the left as you
head out of Luton on Dunstable Road. Twice, I've found
they've got stock of a gas valve I've wanted, but in
that case, you will need the valve manufacturer's part
number rather than the make/model of the gas appliance,
and you may find the raw valve is missing some parts
which are added by the appliance manufacturer which
you'll have to transfer across. They were also much
cheaper than HRPC. Doubt they do mail order though.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jeff

"John Rumm" wrote in message
[...]

Maclaren Products Ltd
Block 7 South Avenue
Blantyre Industrial Estate, Blantyre
Glasgow G72 0XB

Telephone: +44 (0) 1698 327065.
Fax: +44 (0) 1698 327066

Regards Jeff

Posted to uk.d-i-y
.

John Rumm wrote:
[...]

try one or all of these.

http://www.ezypart.co.uk/

http://www.pricerightheating.com/

http://www.keeptheheaton.com/

http://www.onlineboilerspares.co.uk/...19ac5f69e2b8d4

http://www.europeanspares.com/?retailer=google

http://www.abcotuk.co.uk/main.asp

and if none of those have what you're looking for it's a new fire.

hth

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
So does anyone know where to get a Maclaren Products (or Johnson
Controls)[1] SM474-0700-VA01 CLA 230V 360mbar gas valve? In fact just a
replacement coil may be good enough - the valve body itself may be ok.

I know a place I'd try near the SavaCentre in Collier's Wood, London SW.
They don't look the sort of place to do mail order, though.

--
*Always borrow money from pessimists - they don't expect it back *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

When you're faced with sourcing parts for an appliance it means two
things...
1. it's as old as the hills.

About three years old... hardly ever used either.

2. the appliance was discontinued possibly due to a design fault.

Pass - good point though, I have not tried the maker of the fire for the
part.

I'd of scrapped the fire in the first place if and it looks as if you have
spent a few hours on it.

I have spent about and hour and a half on it so far, so not that much of
a problem as yet.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

Default Replacement gas valve - sorted

John Rumm wrote:

So does anyone know where to get a Maclaren Products (or Johnson
Controls)[1] SM474-0700-VA01 CLA 230V 360mbar gas valve? In fact just a
replacement coil may be good enough - the valve body itself may be ok.

Got a new coil for the valve from MJT Controls in Bristol (Maclaren
refered me to them since they had a 60 quid minimum order if they
supplied direct)

http://www.mjtcontrols.co.uk/

--
Cheers,