Default Fireproof document storage

At last we've finally paid off our mortgage and have been sent a huge
bundle of deeds and papers relating to the house.

My first thought was to get a fireproof document storage box to keep
them in, but some of the papers are too long ( 360mm ) to fit in any of
the boxes that I've seen and it isn't very practical to fold up the
bundles of paper to fit them in a smaller box.

The house is registered with the Land Registry, so it's not a
catastrophic loss if the papers do get burnt, but I'd rather keep them
as safe as is practicable.

The mortgage was with a bank and they don't offer a scheme to retain
the papers if a nominal outstanding balance is left unpaid. Instead
they want full commercial rates for document storage. They offer no
alternative.

So what clever ideas have any of you come up with to solve this problem
?

I can't find any small fire-proof boxes that are big enough to take the
deeds, but a safe that's big enough is absurdly huge.

I know where to get a metal deeds storage box of just the right size,
but it isn't fire proof. Is there any way of adapting one of those to
be a suitable solution ? It looks as though the fire-proofing is mostly
a concrete layer anyway. Perhaps somebody has done it themselves ?

Cicero

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

==============
You could ask the solicitor who's keeping your Will if he can store them.

Cic.

Peter Stockdale

"Cicero" wrote in message
k...

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

He will possibly store them in a bank vault !
Bit senseless really.
don't offer a scheme to retain
the papers if a nominal outstanding balance is left unpaid.

Did you not say that you had paid off your mortgage ?

Pete

Peter Parry

On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 20:30:17 +0100, "Peter Stockdale"
wrote:

"Cicero" wrote

You could ask the solicitor who's keeping your Will if he can store them.

He will possibly store them in a bank vault !

Someone around here I know rents many local authority garages (the
sort found in rows behind 1970's type developments) with up and over
doors. He uses them to store documents from solicitors (and yes -
they do know where the stuff is being stored) so "secure storage"
when applied to solicitors may need to be interpreted imaginatively.

--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/
Cicero

"Peter Parry" wrote in message
On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 20:30:17 +0100, "Peter Stockdale"
wrote:

"Cicero" wrote

You could ask the solicitor who's keeping your Will if he can store

them.

He will possibly store them in a bank vault !

Someone around here I know rents many local authority garages (the
sort found in rows behind 1970's type developments) with up and over
doors. He uses them to store documents from solicitors (and yes -
they do know where the stuff is being stored) so "secure storage"
when applied to solicitors may need to be interpreted imaginatively.

--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/

My solicitor makes no charge for storing my Will so I doubt if he would pay
a bank for storage without passing on the charge to me. But if he does store
them in a bank that's probably as secure as anywhere else so I'm quite happy
with the situation.

I wouldn't be very happy with the security of a LA garage but I guess that
the local solicitors use this facility for the less important stuff.

Cic.