Neighbours' water on my roof.

Old October 14th 05, 01:16 PM
Baz

Default Neighbours' water on my roof.

Hi Guys and Mary.

I live in a link-detached house (detached but joined by the garages).

My neighbours' garage roof is approx 2ft higher that mine due a slight
slope.

His garage roof drains directly on to mine, no gutters between and my roof
drains into a gutter at one end.

My problem is that he has had a leaking overflow for at least 4 weeks now
and I have asked him to fix the leak and reminded him that he said (a couple
of years ago) that he would put a gutter on his bit between us.

He has said that he is waiting for a plumber and there is no need for any
extra guttering as this is how the houses were designed.

What can I do??

Regards

Baz

Old October 14th 05, 01:24 PM
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Baz wrote:
Hi Guys and Mary.

I live in a link-detached house (detached but joined by the garages).

My neighbours' garage roof is approx 2ft higher that mine due a slight
slope.

His garage roof drains directly on to mine, no gutters between and my
roof drains into a gutter at one end.

My problem is that he has had a leaking overflow for at least 4 weeks
now and I have asked him to fix the leak and reminded him that he
said (a couple of years ago) that he would put a gutter on his bit
between us.

He has said that he is waiting for a plumber and there is no need for
any extra guttering as this is how the houses were designed.

What can I do??

Regards

Baz

Anyway of fixing it on your garage so that the water runs off onto his
property?
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Old October 14th 05, 01:28 PM
Baz

"The3rd Earl Of Derby" wrote in message
.uk...
Baz wrote:
[...]

I could fix some guttering myself or offer to fix the ballcock for him, but
it is his problem, but causing me a problem.
Baz

Old October 14th 05, 01:32 PM
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Baz wrote:
[...]

To be honest if you are capable of doing the job for him(him paying for
materials), it would solve your problem and keep the peace between
neihbours. :-)
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Old October 14th 05, 01:53 PM
Dave Fawthrop

On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 12:32:44 GMT, "The3rd Earl Of Derby"
wrote:

| To be honest if you are capable of doing the job for him(him paying for
| materials), it would solve your problem and keep the peace between
| neihbours. :-)

I cut down a 2 story high tree, bit by bit, just on my neighbours land, at
my own expense, and labour. Peace is worth it.

--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk
The London suicide bombers killed innocent commuters.
Old October 14th 05, 04:00 PM
Lobster

Baz wrote:

His garage roof drains directly on to mine, no gutters between and my roof
drains into a gutter at one end.

My problem is that he has had a leaking overflow for at least 4 weeks now
and I have asked him to fix the leak and reminded him that he said (a couple
of years ago) that he would put a gutter on his bit between us.

So if I understand you right, his leak drips on to his garage roof, then
on to you garage roof, then into your gutter and down your drain?

If so, it doesn't really sound like an earth-shattering problem over
which it's worth damaging relations with your neighbour?

David

Old October 14th 05, 04:24 PM
Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;)

Rob Morley wrote:

Sneak over to his place when he's not looking and block the overflow -
preferably with something on a bit of string so you can pull it back and
dispose of the evidence before he gets home. ;^

I like that idea, though why not push some moss up inside so it can't be
seen. It would seem pretty legit that the pipe could be blocked by moss
even if not really possible.

http://gymratz.co.uk/hot-seat.htm - Live web-cam! (sometimes)
Old October 14th 05, 04:55 PM
Chris Bacon

Pet wrote:
Rob Morley wrote:
Sneak over to his place when he's not looking and block the overflow -
preferably with something on a bit of string so you can pull it back
and dispose of the evidence before he gets home. ;^

I like that idea, though why not push some moss up inside so it can't be
seen. It would seem pretty legit that the pipe could be blocked by moss
even if not really possible.

He's talked to the neighbour, unfortunately. I was going to suggest
measuring the pipe, then making a cylinder of ice in a similar pipe,
and bunging it up during a cold snap....
Old October 14th 05, 06:03 PM
[email protected]

Baz wrote:
Hi Guys and Mary.

I live in a link-detached house (detached but joined by the garages).

My neighbours' garage roof is approx 2ft higher that mine due a slight
slope.

His garage roof drains directly on to mine, no gutters between and my roof
drains into a gutter at one end.

My problem is that he has had a leaking overflow for at least 4 weeks now
and I have asked him to fix the leak and reminded him that he said (a couple
of years ago) that he would put a gutter on his bit between us.

He has said that he is waiting for a plumber and there is no need for any
extra guttering as this is how the houses were designed.

What can I do??

Regards

Baz

How does he know that the houses were designed this way? Have you
checked similar houses down the street to see if is this is true?

It doesn't take 4 weeks to find a plumber. The guy is obviously an
arsehole. I'd give him a little more time but in future make sure you
never do the sod any favours.

Detergents and cleaners FAQ [email protected] UK diy 49 September 25th 05 11:34 PM
Tankless water heaters Edward Grant Home Repair 11 September 13th 05 12:42 AM
Heat banks (again!) Dave UK diy 148 September 6th 04 08:45 PM
Why do gas water heaters fail? I-zheet M'drurz Home Repair 40 January 12th 04 09:59 PM