Mark Hewitt

Default Kitchen cupboard door and draw fronts

So my Mum has decided that she's tired of the kitchen which was installed in
the late 60's and she'd like something a bit more modern looking. However
she hasn't got the money to pay for a full new kitchen, so she figures just
replace the doors on the cupboards and put some new fronts on the drawers..
a reasonable idea I think.

So we had a look around B&Q where they only seem to sell standard sizes of
doors and drawers in certain packs, which doesn't seem to be ideal for us..
On measuring up we've found that we are going to need three cupboard doors,
however they are in three entirely different sizes! We'll need 8 drawer
fronts, but again these are 4 different sizes..none of which fit the
standard sizes of course.

So what's our best bet if we want to put more modern stuff in? I know we can
get made to measure but I'm concerned that will cost a fortune!

Not sure how much the budget can stretch to, I would think £300 would be
about it..

Why not just paint it all. Perhaps put new tops on.

Kalico

On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 12:27:13 +0100, "Mark Hewitt"
wrote:

[...]

I know of a firm in Catleford, Yorkshire that make decent kitchen
furniture and ship it to you.

From what I recall their prices are in line with B&Q etc for the
pre-assembled stuff but they will adjust sizes to your specification,
provided the fronts are as near standard or can be adjusted.

Basically, they make the carcasses then buy in the fronts. Some
styles presumably can be cut down whilst others cannot. They were
useful for me when I needed wall units with extra room behind them.

Let me know if you need their details and I'll try to find them.

Rob

Replace 'spam' with 'org' to reply
Set Square

Mark Hewitt wrote:

[...]

We facelifted my in-laws' kitchen a few years by covering the doors and
drawer fronts with some heavy duty adhesive plastic sheeting - sold in packs
for this purpose, complete with edging strips. It was flexible, but a lot
thicker than (say) fablon. This was easy to cut to size, and gave a
reasonable finish. Don't know whether you can still get it.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

David P