Jo King

Default radiator valves

what is the difference between a lock shield valve and a wheel head valve on
a C.H. radiator

mike ring

"Jo King" wrote in
:

what is the difference between a lock shield valve and a wheel head
valve on a C.H. radiator

Nothing at all, physically; the lockshield has a cover, not a knob, as it's
not an operational control, but is set by the Guild approved wizard in the
commissioning rite called balancing, and it must nevermore be touched by
unconsecrated hands.

The wheel valve changes the rad from ARF mode to ARN condition and vice
versa, and is fitted with a knob to enable muppets to do this without
danger

mike
Set Square

Jo King wrote:

what is the difference between a lock shield valve and a wheel head
valve on a C.H. radiator

Nothing. The metal part of the valve is identical. Valves are often supplied
with 2 plastic tops - one which has a square hole in it for rotating the
shaft of the valve - and one which is just a tamper-proof cover, so that the
valve becomes a lockshield when this is fitted. The lockshield valve is
adjusted during system balancing - and then left in its partially open state
thereafter. The other valve is used to turn the rad on and off, as required.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

John Rumm

Set Square wrote:

Nothing. The metal part of the valve is identical. Valves are often supplied
with 2 plastic tops - one which has a square hole in it for rotating the
shaft of the valve - and one which is just a tamper-proof cover, so that the
valve becomes a lockshield when this is fitted. The lockshield valve is

On that topic, has anyone else noticed that a number of lockshields
these days come with covers that are very loose fitting? I have about
three new ones where the lockshield cover only really rests in place -
there is no real positive "click" as it goes into position.

--
Cheers,

John.

mike ring

John Rumm wrote in
:

On that topic, has anyone else noticed that a number of lockshields
these days come with covers that are very loose fitting? I have about
three new ones where the lockshield cover only really rests in place -
there is no real positive "click" as it goes into position.

Admittedly I've only been at it for 5 yrs or so, but I've never met any
other sort

mike
mike ring

mike ring wrote in
. 1.4:

Admittedly I've only been at it for 5 yrs or so, but I've never met any
other sort

.......than the dead loose ones :-0

mike
--s-p-o-n-i-x--

On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 02:19:24 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

Set Square wrote:

Nothing. The metal part of the valve is identical. Valves are often supplied
with 2 plastic tops - one which has a square hole in it for rotating the
shaft of the valve - and one which is just a tamper-proof cover, so that the
valve becomes a lockshield when this is fitted. The lockshield valve is

On that topic, has anyone else noticed that a number of lockshields
these days come with covers that are very loose fitting? I have about
three new ones where the lockshield cover only really rests in place -
there is no real positive "click" as it goes into position.

I can remember lockshields where the covers were secured with a screw!