weight of cast iron bath

Old October 12th 05, 09:59 PM
wounded horse

Default weight of cast iron bath

Anyone know what a std size cast iron tub weighs, give or take a few pounds.
Bloody heavy I know that. Don't fancy getting it downstairs in one piece.

Old October 12th 05, 10:42 PM
Chris Bacon

wounded horse wrote:
Anyone know what a std size cast iron tub weighs, give or take a few pounds.
Bloody heavy I know that. Don't fancy getting it downstairs in one piece.

If you stand astride it, with the bath partially upside-down,
resting on one lip, you can just about pick it up and move it,
but it's a strain. If you want to get it downstairs in one
piece, you can, with care, but you will need a helper, unless
you get technical - the stairs ought to be protected by
something, e.g. carpet, and take great care that it doesn't
shoot away out of control (an emergency rope around a newel or
something, belayed by a third man, is OK).
Old October 12th 05, 11:26 PM
PhilÅ

"Chris Bacon" wrote in message
wounded horse wrote:
Anyone know what a std size cast iron tub weighs, give or take a few
pounds. Bloody heavy I know that. Don't fancy getting it downstairs in
one piece.

If you stand astride it, with the bath partially upside-down,
resting on one lip, you can just about pick it up and move it,
but it's a strain. If you want to get it downstairs in one
piece, you can, with care, but you will need a helper, unless
you get technical - the stairs ought to be protected by
something, e.g. carpet, and take great care that it doesn't
shoot away out of control (an emergency rope around a newel or
something, belayed by a third man, is OK).

Hehe, rings back memories when we had to take a Orange Cast Iron bath
downstairs after we moved into a old Victorian house.

Yep, they are heavy, we thought we had it under control, but it did get away
from us on the stairs. Took huge chunks and nearly went through the wall at
the bottom.

It did split in two at this stage and made the final push out of the door a
lot easier..

Old October 12th 05, 11:31 PM
Andy

wounded horse wrote:
Anyone know what a std size cast iron tub weighs, give or take a few
pounds. Bloody heavy I know that. Don't fancy getting it downstairs in
one piece.

If you wish to get rid of it, then an easier method ( unless you're selling
it on for
reclamation ) is to take a club hammer or sledge hammer and whack hard with
that. Wear ear defenders and goggles, and make sure the floor won't be
damaged. Cast iron is brittle and will fracture after a few thwacks, then
you can
carry it out in lumps.

Andy.

Old October 13th 05, 07:56 AM
Tony Hogarty

On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 22:42:35 +0100, Chris Bacon wrote:

and take great care that it doesn't
shoot away out of control (an emergency rope around a newel or something,
belayed by a third man, is OK).

This is very good advice - take it from me that being at the bottom of the
stairs when one of these finally stops using you as a buffer is not much
fun!

--
Regards
Tony

Old October 13th 05, 10:23 AM
Fitz

wounded horse wrote:
Anyone know what a std size cast iron tub weighs, give or take a few pounds.
Bloody heavy I know that. Don't fancy getting it downstairs in one piece.

Two people can manage - normal people as well, they don't need to be
thick necked rugby types. If you can get three and a hefty lump of
rope all the better.

Please note - for normal types it is exhausting. You will not believe
how much you sweat for such a seemingly small amount of work. Also
plan and measure the route downstairs. Otherwise you'll get stuck
half-way, not be able to go back up, both start shaking like Elvis,
make a stupid comment about the fact that your helper looks like a dog
trying to **** razor blades, he will have a giggling fit and drop the
thing, taking huge chunks out of the plaster and nearly breaking your
toes. It will then take you a further half hour to extract the now
wedged bath from it's precarious resting place without causing further
damage or hernias.

Well that's one possibility that I've plucked out of thin air and
didn't actually happen of course, oh no sir not me...

--
Steve F

Old October 13th 05, 10:30 AM
Peter Taylor

wounded horse wrote:
[...]

You could do what I did when I needed help getting a piano downstairs -
Go down the local on a Saturday dinner time, wait while the game of darts
finishes, then shout out "Drinks all round guv'nor!". When the place goes
deathly quiet and everyone looks round in amazement say "I bet none of you
guys can lift a cast iron bath". Works a treat. )

Old October 13th 05, 10:43 AM
s--p--o--n--i--x

On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 20:59:43 GMT, "wounded horse"
wrote:

Anyone know what a std size cast iron tub weighs, give or take a few pounds.
Bloody heavy I know that. Don't fancy getting it downstairs in one piece.

Break it up in-situ. With a decent sized clubhammer it should break
easily.

Whack it near the rim until it cracks-keep whacking and chase the
crack until it breaks into bits. It's sort of like breaking a really
tough bit of toffee.

Wear goggles, ear defenders, overalls and gloves-the enamel splinters
go everywhere and are VERY sharp.

sponix
Old October 13th 05, 10:53 AM
Matt

"Peter Taylor" wrote:

You could do what I did when I needed help getting a piano downstairs -
Go down the local on a Saturday dinner time, wait while the game of darts
finishes, then shout out "Drinks all round guv'nor!". When the place goes
deathly quiet and everyone looks round in amazement say "I bet none of you
guys can lift a cast iron bath". Works a treat. )

OK so they lifted your cast iron bath but how did that help get your
piano downstairs?

:-)

Cast Iron Enamel Bath Hugh UK diy 0 August 17th 05 09:21 AM
acrylic vs cast iron bath tub pat Home Repair 10 May 8th 05 07:43 PM
Cast Iron Soil Pipe Advice Stephen UK diy 2 May 4th 05 07:18 AM
Special Bolts for Cast Iron bath feet Rob Graham UK diy 2 July 22nd 03 01:48 PM
Cleaning outside of Cast Iron bath for Painting Rob Graham UK diy 4 July 21st 03 08:56 AM