Geoffrey

Default Freezer door seal

The rubber seal on my freezer door (it's an AEG Arctis model 2674-6GS)
has failed. This of course means that frost builds up rapidly so I
have to fix it. Is it an easyish DIY job? I've done a web search for
new seals but I cannot find this model anywhere, anyone any idea where
I could look?

I've never done anything like this before (normally I'd get a repair
man in but ATM I'm skint) would you say it is within the capability of
a reasonably intelligent housewife? (no oxymoron jokes please).

--
Warning: Do not look directly into laser with remaining eye.
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Geoffrey wrote:
The rubber seal on my freezer door (it's an AEG Arctis model 2674-6GS)
has failed. This of course means that frost builds up rapidly so I
have to fix it. Is it an easyish DIY job? I've done a web search for
new seals but I cannot find this model anywhere, anyone any idea where
I could look?

I've never done anything like this before (normally I'd get a repair
man in but ATM I'm skint) would you say it is within the capability of
a reasonably intelligent housewife? (no oxymoron jokes please).

Have you thought of contacting them?
http://www.aeg-electrolux.co.uk/index.asp

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Geoffrey

On Sun, 09 Oct 2005 11:54:50 GMT, "The3rd Earl Of Derby"
wrote:

Geoffrey wrote:
The rubber seal on my freezer door (it's an AEG Arctis model 2674-6GS)
has failed. This of course means that frost builds up rapidly so I
have to fix it. Is it an easyish DIY job? I've done a web search for
new seals but I cannot find this model anywhere, anyone any idea where
I could look?

I've never done anything like this before (normally I'd get a repair
man in but ATM I'm skint) would you say it is within the capability of
a reasonably intelligent housewife? (no oxymoron jokes please).

Have you thought of contacting them?
http://www.aeg-electrolux.co.uk/index.asp

First thing I did! The link to the spares department is broken.

I did say I was reasonably intelligent...

--
Warning: Do not look directly into laser with remaining eye.
The3rd Earl Of Derby

wrote:

Geoffrey wrote:
The rubber seal on my freezer door (it's an AEG Arctis model
2674-6GS) has failed. This of course means that frost builds up
rapidly so I have to fix it. Is it an easyish DIY job? I've done a
web search for new seals but I cannot find this model anywhere,
anyone any idea where I could look?

I've never done anything like this before (normally I'd get a repair
man in but ATM I'm skint) would you say it is within the capability
of a reasonably intelligent housewife? (no oxymoron jokes please).

Have you thought of contacting them?
http://www.aeg-electrolux.co.uk/index.asp

First thing I did! The link to the spares department is broken.

I did say I was reasonably intelligent...

The link is fine here?

Are you sure?

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Geoffrey

wrote:

Geoffrey wrote:
The rubber seal on my freezer door (it's an AEG Arctis model
2674-6GS) has failed. This of course means that frost builds up
rapidly so I have to fix it. Is it an easyish DIY job? I've done a
web search for new seals but I cannot find this model anywhere,
anyone any idea where I could look?

I've never done anything like this before (normally I'd get a repair
man in but ATM I'm skint) would you say it is within the capability
of a reasonably intelligent housewife? (no oxymoron jokes please).

Have you thought of contacting them?
http://www.aeg-electrolux.co.uk/index.asp

First thing I did! The link to the spares department is broken.

I did say I was reasonably intelligent...

The link is fine here?

Are you sure?

Bugger.

All I got when I selected the spares online ordering link was
"§@scope=page§"

tried again, got the same thing and then noticed Firefox had blocked a
pop-up. Allowed the pop-up and hey presto, there it was!
Found the door seal (gasket) at £72.60

Thanks - now I feel really stupid

I shall continue to search to see if I can get it any cheaper.

--
Warning: Do not look directly into laser with remaining eye.

The3rd Earl Of Derby

wrote:

Geoffrey wrote:
[...]

At that price I think I'd try to find a local 'white goods' scrap yard and
see if there's any newish models in there and take the seal.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
Geoffrey writes:

tried again, got the same thing and then noticed Firefox had blocked a
pop-up. Allowed the pop-up and hey presto, there it was!
Found the door seal (gasket) at £72.60

I shall continue to search to see if I can get it any cheaper.

Try CPC. If it's a common component to fail on that model,
there's probably a third party manufacturer too, and CPC
will often give you the choice of genuine part or third
party part.

--
Andrew Gabriel
david lang

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Try CPC. If it's a common component to fail on that model,
there's probably a third party manufacturer too, and CPC
will often give you the choice of genuine part or third
party part.

Worth trying Parts Center as well
http://www.partscenter.co.uk/hrpc/default.html

Dave

Set Square

Geoffrey wrote:

tried again, got the same thing and then noticed Firefox had blocked a
pop-up. Allowed the pop-up and hey presto, there it was!
Found the door seal (gasket) at £72.60

That sounds a hell of a lot - I'd want a new fridge for that amount! g

Can you buy a generic product in a long strip, and cut nicks for the
corners - rather than buying the official spare part?
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Geoffrey

On Sun, 9 Oct 2005 15:39:46 +0100, "Set Square"

Geoffrey wrote:

tried again, got the same thing and then noticed Firefox had blocked a
pop-up. Allowed the pop-up and hey presto, there it was!
Found the door seal (gasket) at £72.60

That sounds a hell of a lot - I'd want a new fridge for that amount! g

I know that feeling! I can't believe it costs so much for a strip of
rubber.

Can you buy a generic product in a long strip, and cut nicks for the
corners - rather than buying the official spare part?

I would certainly have a go if I could find it. So far I haven't found
anywhere at all that sells the correct seal or a generic product. If
fact I haven't found any site at all (apart from AEG) that sells any
parts at all for AEG freezers - fridges yes, fridge freezers yes,
ovens yes but no freezers

There is nothing (that I can find) at CPC or partcenter. Anyone else
have any suggestions?

--
Warning: Do not look directly into laser with remaining eye.

Rusty

Geoffrey wrote:

tried again, got the same thing and then noticed Firefox had blocked a
pop-up. Allowed the pop-up and hey presto, there it was!
Found the door seal (gasket) at £72.60

Before doing that, sure its not a warped door or clapped out hinges ?

rusty

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
Geoffrey writes:

There is nothing (that I can find) at CPC or partcenter. Anyone else
have any suggestions?

You have to ring CPC. They stopped publishing their White Goods
Spares catalogue ~6 years ago and most of the white goods spares
are not in their regular catalogue or website, but you can order
over the phone, or just get the part numbers by phone and then
order online. If you are the first person to order a part, they
will allocate a new part number for it.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Geoffrey

On Sun, 9 Oct 2005 21:30:14 +0100, "Rusty"
wrote:

.. .

Geoffrey wrote:

tried again, got the same thing and then noticed Firefox had blocked a
pop-up. Allowed the pop-up and hey presto, there it was!
Found the door seal (gasket) at £72.60

Before doing that, sure its not a warped door or clapped out hinges ?

No, the seal actually has a break in it but it was certainly a good
thought.

--
Warning: Do not look directly into laser with remaining eye.