condensation on new double glazed windows...

Old October 8th 05, 11:19 AM
dkh

Default condensation on new double glazed windows...

We got new upvc double glazed windows fitted to the front of our house this
week.

My wife is convinced that all our condensations problems on windows would
disappear (we had pretty bad condensation on the old single pane sash
windows)

However this morning we noticed that the windows in our bedroom were a bit
(not enough to need wiped down) steamed up (say bottom 15-20% of each pane)

There was no condensation on any other of the new windows but there was a
bit on each pane in our bedroom (6 panes).

Is this just due to the moisture from our breath during the night?
Is it fair to expect zero condensation on the windows, should we contact
the DG company..

I did google a bit on this but most posts referred to moisture condensation
between the panes which is not what we are experiencing.

--dkh

Old October 8th 05, 11:59 AM
John Laird

On Sat, 08 Oct 2005 10:19:55 GMT, dkh wrote:

We got new upvc double glazed windows fitted to the front of our house this
week.

My wife is convinced that all our condensations problems on windows would
disappear (we had pretty bad condensation on the old single pane sash
windows)

However this morning we noticed that the windows in our bedroom were a bit
(not enough to need wiped down) steamed up (say bottom 15-20% of each pane)

There was no condensation on any other of the new windows but there was a
bit on each pane in our bedroom (6 panes).

Is this just due to the moisture from our breath during the night?
Is it fair to expect zero condensation on the windows, should we contact
the DG company..

I did google a bit on this but most posts referred to moisture condensation
between the panes which is not what we are experiencing.

Some condensation on DG is to be expected. To eliminate it completely, you
would need better insulation around the frame (it's conduction through that
which leads to the glass getting cold enough for moist air to condense out).
I think some makes are better than others in this respect.

I've also had a couple of DG windows fitted this summer. On the first cold
night, I was alarmed to see condensation along the bottom of each panel,
which wasn't on the inside. I was pondering the likelihood of both units
having failed so soon, when it occurred to me to open a window and stick my
hand out. The moisture was on the outside (as it often is on your car
windows). The DG unit was obviously allowing the outer pane to get very
cold.

--
Honk if you've slept with Commander Riker!
Old October 8th 05, 12:05 PM
Uno Hoo!

"dkh" wrote in message
[...]

Condensation forms, of course, when damp humid air comes into contact with a
cold surface. If the inner pane of your double glazing is cold, and humid
air contacts it, then you will get condensation. The condensation will be
exacerbated by lack of ventilation.

So a few questions to ask:
Why is the inner pane cold, where is the damp air coming from, and is there
any ventilation in your bedroom (eg an open window)?
If your house is cold - then the inner pane will be cold. If you keep all
the windows closed (and your bedroom door closed) then there is a lack of
ventilation. Certainly there is a lot of moisture in exhaled breath - but is
your house damp as well? Do you have, for example, a tumble drier that
vents into the house rather than through an outside wall? Did the window
fitters have to do any re-plastering that is now drying out?
I have double glazing and occasionally, if the weather is very cold, there
is a small amount of condensation on bedroom windows in the morning (right
at the bottom) - at this time of year, however, none at all.

Kev

Old October 8th 05, 12:05 PM
The Natural Philosopher

dkh wrote:

[...]

Even DG is not a perfect insulator. Its just BETTER.

Sounds like you have a very humid room - try a little ventilation in it.
Old October 8th 05, 04:56 PM
borgmaster

dkh wrote:
We got new upvc double glazed windows fitted to the front of our
house this week.

My wife is convinced that all our condensations problems on windows
would disappear (we had pretty bad condensation on the old single
pane sash windows)

However this morning we noticed that the windows in our bedroom were
a bit (not enough to need wiped down) steamed up (say bottom 15-20%
of each pane)

There was no condensation on any other of the new windows but there
was a bit on each pane in our bedroom (6 panes).

Is this just due to the moisture from our breath during the night?
Is it fair to expect zero condensation on the windows, should we
contact the DG company..

Buy a dehumidifier, problem sorted without opening windows and letting
cold air in.

Old October 8th 05, 05:29 PM
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"borgmaster" writes:
Buy a dehumidifier, problem sorted without opening windows and letting
cold air in.

But you haven't said how to repair the resulting dished
floorboards, plaster which has come away from shrunk laths,
etc. Far better to ventilate the house properly.

--
Andrew Gabriel