Acedrew

Default Mains powered downlighters

In my large "lean to" extension on my 1930's semi, I left the ceiling out
and plasterboarded straight onto the rafters. For lighting, I installed
about 15 mains powered, downlighters - recessed into the plasterboard
between the rafters (with the insulation cut away).

This looks great and gives good lighting, but is a complete pain in the
backside since the R63 bulbs are forever blowing. I used to keep on top of
this, but it is so frequent I've now given up.

Although the fittings are not brilliant (i.e poor mechanical design makes
for dodgy contact with the bulb) I suspect it is the cold/hot affect that
kills the bulbs on switch on.

Will moving over to LV or halogen improve my situation?

Any recommends as to a good brand of fitting?

TIA

Andy

Acedrew wrote:
In my large "lean to" extension on my 1930's semi, I left the ceiling out
and plasterboarded straight onto the rafters.

eh? you dont mean... like a ceiling?

For lighting, I installed
about 15 mains powered, downlighters - recessed into the plasterboard
between the rafters (with the insulation cut away).

This looks great and gives good lighting, but is a complete pain in the
backside since the R63 bulbs are forever blowing. I used to keep on top of
this, but it is so frequent I've now given up.

Ah. Mains R63s only last 1000 hrs ave. With 15 thats about 60 hours
between bulb pops! Sheesh.

Although the fittings are not brilliant (i.e poor mechanical design makes
for dodgy contact with the bulb) I suspect it is the cold/hot affect that
kills the bulbs on switch on.

no, its just filament bulbs only last 1000 hrs. And you got 15!

Will moving over to LV or halogen improve my situation?

no. The only things that will a
1=2E use CFL bulbs instead
2=2E change your whole lighting scheme to something with a more sensible
bulb count.
3=2E use a switchbank and only use some of the lights when all arent
needed. This doesnt solve the problem, but does reduce the rate of
bulbpops and cuts your excessive lighting run cost.

re 1., there are 2 choices for R80s:

- Genuras @ =A320 a piece, very very very long lived. Pricey, but worth
it. (They save more than that over their life)
- screwfix =A38 jobs, reduced light output, larger bulb looks like its
falling out.

Now, since youve got R63s, youre probably stuffed. Other than replacing
them with a bettter designed system, all I can suggest is small
non-reflector CFL bulbs, which will probably be 40w equivalent each,
and look not much like R63s. You might also need to add a white
reflector in the fitting so you dont lose half the light.

NT