darren_forward

Default Combi Condensing boiler

Hi everyone, Ive norrowd my choice of new boiler down to two models
Alpha CD32C and Ideal Isar 30. This is to replace my dead Servowarm
boiler.

Anyone have any experiance of the two models, who could give me their
experiance of either.

Thanks

Darren

Ed Sirett

On Fri, 07 Oct 2005 10:33:06 -0700, darren_forward wrote:

Hi everyone, Ive norrowd my choice of new boiler down to two models
Alpha CD32C and Ideal Isar 30. This is to replace my dead Servowarm
boiler.

Anyone have any experiance of the two models, who could give me their
experiance of either.

Early Isar models had problems but I have fitted one and it has been fine.
Most installers who have worked on offerings from these two makers would
rate Ideal as the better built.

John Rumm

darren_forward wrote:

Hi everyone, Ive norrowd my choice of new boiler down to two models
Alpha CD32C and Ideal Isar 30. This is to replace my dead Servowarm
boiler.

Anyone have any experiance of the two models, who could give me their
experiance of either.

I have an Isar HE35 - same design but 5kW more powerful... personally I
find that 35kW is borderline power wise - I would not want anything
less. If you are mostly into showers though you may be ok with the 30.

On the plus side:

It works better than any combi I have used in the past. It is physically
very small and neat (and needs only 5mm clearance space each side) and
was a doddle to install. It is nice and quite in operation. It maintains
quite good temperature control even at very low flow rates (obviously
once you exceed the power output at high flow rates the temperature will
fall). It includes a small store of pre-tempered water to cut down heat
up time when you turn a tap on. It modulates over quite a wide range so
can manage long low power runs for the heating which helps keep
efficiency up. Fluing options are not bad, although not as flexible as
some. It has a downward firing burner and single piece Si coated Ali
heat exchanger.

Down sides:

It has no built in timer or programmer (I use a programmable thermostat
which does the job nicely). The compactness may prove a hindrance when
servicing, since you may end up having to remove lots of stuff to get to
the bit you want. The filling loop is not included in the main box like
it is on some (although the pressure gauge is included in the mounting
tray / pipe connection points).

Unknowns:

Don't know what reliability will be like in the long term (only 18
months old so far), but not too many horror stories being told. Don't
know what the price of spares is like.

All in all very pleased with the boiler (allowing for the general
limitations of combis). Would benefit from being on a slightly better
rising main (ours can only do about 20lpm) but that is not really the
fault of the boiler.

--
Cheers,

John.

John H

On 7 Oct 2005 10:33:06 -0700, "darren_forward"
wrote:

Hi everyone, Ive norrowd my choice of new boiler down to two models
Alpha CD32C and Ideal Isar 30. This is to replace my dead Servowarm
boiler.

Anyone have any experiance of the two models, who could give me their
experiance of either.

I've got an Ideal Isar 30HE

I had it fitted back in April and so far had no problems whatsoever
and I'm mighty impressed.

As another poster said it doesn't have a timer, but the programmable
thermostat I have does the job.

It is a neat compact unit and undoubtedly may cause access problems
when servicing it.

John
Doctor Drivel

"John Rumm" wrote in message
darren_forward wrote:

[...]

Ideal say no part takes more than 15 mins to replace.

The filling loop is not included in the main box like
it is on some (although the pressure gauge is included in the mounting
tray / pipe connection points).

Unknowns:

Don't know what reliability will be like in the long term (only 18
months old so far), but not too many horror stories being told. Don't
know what the price of spares is like.

All in all very pleased with the boiler (allowing for the general
limitations of combis). Would benefit from being on a slightly better
rising main (ours can only do about 20lpm) but that is not really the
fault of the boiler.

--
Cheers,

John.

Doctor Drivel

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 07 Oct 2005 10:33:06 -0700, darren_forward wrote:

Hi everyone, Ive norrowd my choice of new boiler down to two models
Alpha CD32C and Ideal Isar 30. This is to replace my dead Servowarm
boiler.

Anyone have any experiance of the two models, who could give me their
experiance of either.

Early Isar models had problems but I have fitted one and it has been fine.
Most installers who have worked on offerings from these two makers would
rate Ideal as the better built.

Alpha are giving 5 year guarantees on their models having upped quality.
Not so long ago B Gas would not sell the Istar and Icos they were so bad.
Matter have changed there too. I would rate them about the same.

Kalico

On Fri, 7 Oct 2005 22:47:58 +0100, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 07 Oct 2005 10:33:06 -0700, darren_forward wrote:

Hi everyone, Ive norrowd my choice of new boiler down to two models
Alpha CD32C and Ideal Isar 30. This is to replace my dead Servowarm
boiler.

Anyone have any experiance of the two models, who could give me their
experiance of either.

Early Isar models had problems but I have fitted one and it has been fine.
Most installers who have worked on offerings from these two makers would
rate Ideal as the better built.

Alpha are giving 5 year guarantees on their models having upped quality.
Not so long ago B Gas would not sell the Istar and Icos they were so bad.
Matter have changed there too. I would rate them about the same.

I would go with the one with the longer guarantee, assuming all else
equal. My experience of combi boilers (and I have a few in rented
properties) is that they are certain to break down within 3 weeks of
the guarantee running out.

Replace 'spam' with 'org' to reply
Doctor Drivel

"Kalico" wrote in message
On Fri, 7 Oct 2005 22:47:58 +0100, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
news
[...]

Buy the best quality. The same in buying any product.

Andy Hall

On Sat, 8 Oct 2005 12:06:13 +0100, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

Buy the best quality. The same in buying any product.

That's a bit inconsistent with your normal approach, isn't it?

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ws.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
Buy the best quality. The same in buying any product.

So that would be the same as you recommending cheap 'shed' power tools?

Using a hacksaw to cut plastic pipe rather than buying the correct tool?

Which face are you wearing today?

--
*Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Doctor Drivel

news
wrote:

Buy the best quality. The same in buying any product.

That's a bit inconsistent with your normal approach, isn't it?

Matt, you are a very confused Little Middle England type of person.

...Lord Hall he has a problem, problems he always makes
...his problem is his brain as it aches and aches and aches

...every time he has a thought the aches they always come
...Lord Hall went to the doctor to find where aches came from

...the doctor said you must not think
...its' not for you, the sort of thing you should not do

...the doctor screamed, "you cannot think"
..."Lord Hall do not try or you will sink"

..."you must be around the nice blue clouds", stated by the leading Quack
...chirping at the cuckoos who will cluck right back

Doctor Drivel

"Dave Plowman (News)" through a haze of senile
faltulence wrote in message ...
In article ws.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:

Buy the best quality. The same in buying any product.

So that

snip senile drivel

....this senile man is clearly mad
....not just a tad
....he's clearly all the way
...."confusion in a derranged mind", the experts had to say
....he spouts aloud
....this is so sad
....praising God is his latest fad
....walking down the High St, this man is to be seen
....in flashers mack, "the end is nigh", he gives a constant scream

Kalico

On Sat, 8 Oct 2005 12:06:13 +0100, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
news On Fri, 07 Oct 2005 10:33:06 -0700, darren_forward wrote:

[...]

I used to use that maxim, but now with combi boilers look to the
guarantee.

All plumbers I've spoken to swear by the Worcester Bosch ranges and
indeed they are usually a little more expensive than the others.
However, out of all the ones I've fitted in the rented houses, guess
which brand has had the most failures!

I was also told years ago that Potterton were a good brand since many
of the parts that were plastic in other boilers were brass in the
Potterton. Not sure about that but I know they stink when it comes to
customer service. 18 month old boiler needing a new heat exchanger?
I think not. A clear case of a Friday afternoon machine to me,
but they would offer nothing towards a replacement.

I last fitted a Saunier Duval cheapo on the basis of a policy change
to fitting cheaper units and then replacing when they develop a fault
(yes, that is how bad it has got). Interestingly, it's been fine
with no problems whatsoever.

Maybe just my experience of the damn things though. I have to say I
am not too impressed with combi boilers. The old multipoint heaters
used to go on for years and we had a floor standing Ideal Mexico in
use for 32 years before it packed up, but I guess combis are a lot
more complicated.

Rob

Replace 'spam' with 'org' to reply
Doctor Drivel

"Kalico" wrote in message
On Sat, 8 Oct 2005 12:06:13 +0100, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
[...]

Every seen a Viessmann, Eco-Homtec, ACV or Buderus? You will change your
mind. But they cost more.

Doctor Drivel

"Kalico" wrote in message

I guess combis are a lot
more complicated.

Not really they are same as a standard system boiler with a water section
added.

New condensing boiler installation - truth or lies Martin Evans UK diy 57 July 2nd 05 02:13 PM
Condensing Boiler News RedOnRed UK diy 0 April 9th 05 05:37 PM
new combi experience report Fred UK diy 12 December 5th 04 09:11 PM
Best boiler - Condensing (not combi) - unvented......some questions...? Simon Hawthorne UK diy 20 February 3rd 04 10:42 PM
New Combi boiler GB UK diy 7 September 7th 03 11:34 PM