keith_765

Default Iron Gates: worth anything?

"Haymish" wrote in message
. uk...

Hi all

We have some iron gates that used to span our driveway. There are three
sections, two of which are hinged in the middle. Each section is about 4

ft
wide and 4ft high. They are in need of wire brushing and painting and both
supports were cut off at ground level with an angle grinder. I was going

scrap them but someone said they might be worth something. What do you
think?

Anyone know of a reclamation yard near Telford / Shropshire that might pay
something for them?

Many thanks

Haymish

you could try e-Bay

Haymish

Hi all

We have some iron gates that used to span our driveway. There are three
sections, two of which are hinged in the middle. Each section is about 4 ft
wide and 4ft high. They are in need of wire brushing and painting and both
supports were cut off at ground level with an angle grinder. I was going to
scrap them but someone said they might be worth something. What do you
think?

Anyone know of a reclamation yard near Telford / Shropshire that might pay
something for them?

Many thanks

Haymish

Steve Walker

keith_765 wrote:
"Haymish" wrote in message
. uk...

Hi all

We have some iron gates that used to span our driveway.

you could try e-Bay

Lots of demand in Nigeria apparently.... )

chris French

In message , Haymish
writes

Hi all

We have some iron gates that used to span our driveway. There are three
sections, two of which are hinged in the middle. Each section is about 4 ft
wide and 4ft high. They are in need of wire brushing and painting and both
supports were cut off at ground level with an angle grinder. I was going to
scrap them but someone said they might be worth something. What do you
think?

Anyone know of a reclamation yard near Telford / Shropshire that might pay
something for them?

any thing special about them, are they particularly old or anything?

Can't imagine a reclamation yard would otherwise be interested, don't
think you'd get anything much for the scrap value

--
Chris French

raden

In message , Haymish
writes

Hi all

We have some iron gates that used to span our driveway. There are three
sections, two of which are hinged in the middle. Each section is about 4 ft
wide and 4ft high. They are in need of wire brushing and painting and both
supports were cut off at ground level with an angle grinder. I was going to
scrap them but someone said they might be worth something. What do you
think?

Anyone know of a reclamation yard near Telford / Shropshire that might pay
something for them?

Phone up Blists Hill and ask them

--
geoff

someone here

"Haymish" wrote in message
. uk...

Hi all

We have some iron gates that used to span our driveway. There are three
sections, two of which are hinged in the middle. Each section is about 4

ft
wide and 4ft high. They are in need of wire brushing and painting and both
supports were cut off at ground level with an angle grinder. I was going

scrap them but someone said they might be worth something. What do you
think?

Anyone know of a reclamation yard near Telford / Shropshire that might pay
something for them?

Many thanks

Haymish

Try,

to dispose of them. But My neighbour might have use for some gates
whereabouts are you?

Talk to me at gmail dot com

Oddballdave

Broadback

someone here wrote:
"Haymish" wrote in message
[...]

Advertised mine in the local paper, they were snapped up, several after
them, sold to the first enquirer.

Default Iron Gates: worth making ? (was: worth anything?)

Haymish wrote:
Hi all

We have some iron gates that used to span our driveway. There are three
sections, two of which are hinged in the middle. Each section is about 4 ft
wide and 4ft high. They are in need of wire brushing and painting and both
supports were cut off at ground level with an angle grinder. I was going to
scrap them but someone said they might be worth something. What do you
think?

Anyone know of a reclamation yard near Telford / Shropshire that might pay
something for them?

Too far away for me, and i'm after a set of reasonably secure gates for
my driveway. About 6 ft tall and hard to break down/cut through.

Are these worth making to spec or getting a mannufacturing metalworker
to do it ?

I suppose it depends on the availability of cheap steel, anyone got any
plans or specs of steel (i.e. tube thickness) required ? I would
imagine that they'd be fairly easy to fabricate, but might looks a bit
'industrial' in my case (with my welding skills ...) ! Not after any
fancy swirls or 'wrought' features.

Alternatively anyone have any, or know a source of cheap gates in the
Hampshire area ?! Std driveway width (8ft ?)

Cheers

Paul.