Peter

Default Aldi Router and table compatibility. Can't see how to secure the router properly?

I bough the Aldi offer this week of a router and table, plus a few
bits, but I can't figure how to secure the router to the underside of
the table. It seems a sloppy fit at best and the brackets they supply
are in very engineering-like positions, certainly not stable.

Has anybody else figured this puzzle?
Chris Bacon

Peter wrote:
I bough the Aldi offer this week of a router and table, plus a few
bits, but I can't figure how to secure the router to the underside of
the table. It seems a sloppy fit at best and the brackets they supply
are in very engineering-like positions, certainly not stable.

Has anybody else figured this puzzle?

I didn't get a table, 'cos all 60 were sold in the
first 3 1/2 hours. Grr. Have you tried the help line?
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Peter wrote:
I bough the Aldi offer this week of a router and table, plus a few
bits, but I can't figure how to secure the router to the underside of
the table. It seems a sloppy fit at best and the brackets they supply
are in very engineering-like positions, certainly not stable.

Has anybody else figured this puzzle?

They are supposed to grip the routers outer lip, I agree that holes in the
routers base would have been better.
The table is no differrent than others that are available in its
construction and router mounting.
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Peter

I didn't get a table, 'cos all 60 were sold in the
first 3 1/2 hours. Grr. Have you tried the help line?

I have a sneaking suspicion that, if you still want one, you will have
no trouble getting one tomorrow.

Here is the deal.

The router table states on the side of its box, now that I have
bothered to look, that it is compatible with routers of diameter up to
6 and 1/4 inches, however, the routers on sale next to the table have
a base of 6 and 3/8 inches; the units are not compatible. I cannot see
a way of making them compatible without a lot of fuss and the help of
a lathe or a milling machine, so both my units are going back to Aldi
tomorrow.

Pity, the table, apart from its flimsy wings and legs, seemed
adequate, as did the router.

Grunff

Peter wrote:
I bough the Aldi offer this week of a router and table, plus a few
bits, but I can't figure how to secure the router to the underside of
the table. It seems a sloppy fit at best and the brackets they supply
are in very engineering-like positions, certainly not stable.

Has anybody else figured this puzzle?

Surely it comes with a reel of sticky tape for this purpose?

--
Grunff

The3rd Earl Of Derby

Peter wrote:
I didn't get a table, 'cos all 60 were sold in the
first 3 1/2 hours. Grr. Have you tried the help line?

I have a sneaking suspicion that, if you still want one, you will have
no trouble getting one tomorrow.

Here is the deal.

The router table states on the side of its box, now that I have
bothered to look, that it is compatible with routers of diameter up to
6 and 1/4 inches, however, the routers on sale next to the table have
a base of 6 and 3/8 inches; the units are not compatible. I cannot see
a way of making them compatible without a lot of fuss and the help of
a lathe or a milling machine, so both my units are going back to Aldi
tomorrow.

Pity, the table, apart from its flimsy wings and legs, seemed
adequate, as did the router.

Or you just don't know how to fit it?
For the life of me I cannot see the Manu selling a router of their own
brand and making a table of the same brand not fitting the router. lol
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Peter

...the routers on sale next to the table have
a base of 6 and 3/8 inches...

Sorry, I just measured the base of the router again, it's 6 and
11/16th inches at maximum diameter. It won't even nearly fit the
aperture provided by the table and without some proper modifications
it will wobbles and be far too unstable for safe use.

The3rd Earl Of Derby

Peter wrote:
...the routers on sale next to the table have
a base of 6 and 3/8 inches...

Sorry, I just measured the base of the router again, it's 6 and
11/16th inches at maximum diameter. It won't even nearly fit the
aperture provided by the table and without some proper modifications
it will wobbles and be far too unstable for safe use.

Keep the table and go buy another brand of cheap router then.
Like...
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...er/7110632.htm
or...
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...er/7107236.htm

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Lurch

On Thu, 06 Oct 2005 17:18:42 GMT, "The3rd Earl Of Derby"
scrawled:

For the life of me I cannot see the Manu selling a router of their own
brand and making a table of the same brand not fitting the router.

Well, some do. I have a Ryobi 1/4" router and table. My Dads 1/2"
router won't fit in it. Not a problem really. I suspect that in this
instance Aldi just bought a load of cheap incompatible crap as they
haven't the first idea about routers and tables.
--
Stuart @ SJW Electrical

Please Reply to group
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Lurch wrote:
On Thu, 06 Oct 2005 17:18:42 GMT, "The3rd Earl Of Derby"
scrawled:

For the life of me I cannot see the Manu selling a router of their
own brand and making a table of the same brand not fitting the
router.

Well, some do. I have a Ryobi 1/4" router and table. My Dads 1/2"
router won't fit in it. Not a problem really. I suspect that in this
instance Aldi just bought a load of cheap incompatible crap as they
haven't the first idea about routers and tables.

Are the table and both routers 'Ryobi'?
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Lurch

On Thu, 06 Oct 2005 17:56:42 GMT, "The3rd Earl Of Derby"
scrawled:

Lurch wrote:
On Thu, 06 Oct 2005 17:18:42 GMT, "The3rd Earl Of Derby"
scrawled:

For the life of me I cannot see the Manu selling a router of their
own brand and making a table of the same brand not fitting the
router.

Well, some do. I have a Ryobi 1/4" router and table. My Dads 1/2"
router won't fit in it. Not a problem really. I suspect that in this
instance Aldi just bought a load of cheap incompatible crap as they
haven't the first idea about routers and tables.

Are the table and both routers 'Ryobi'?

Yes, I meant to insert 'Ryobi' before the '1/4" router' bit, sorry!
Table and both routers are Ryobi.
--
Stuart @ SJW Electrical

Please Reply to group
Doctor Drivel

"Peter" wrote in message

I bough the Aldi offer this week of a router and table, plus a few
bits, but I can't figure how to secure the router to the underside of
the table. It seems a sloppy fit at best and the brackets they supply
are in very engineering-like positions, certainly not stable.

Has anybody else figured this puzzle?

In Aldi they are selling a Makita look-alike SDS drill with drill, etc. Is
is going for £25 with a 3 year guarantee. As these are on deals I assume
they are normally £50-60. For £25 and a 3 year guarantee it can't be that
bad at all. They look OK. Out of interest has anyone bought one?

Andy Hall

On Thu, 06 Oct 2005 17:26:59 +0100, Peter
wrote:

I bough the Aldi offer this week of a router and table, plus a few
bits, but I can't figure how to secure the router to the underside of
the table. It seems a sloppy fit at best and the brackets they supply
are in very engineering-like positions, certainly not stable.

Has anybody else figured this puzzle?

What on earth would lead you to believe that they would be in any way
compatible?

This is a box shifting operation that does not have sentient beings in
marketing.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Andy Hall

On Thu, 6 Oct 2005 19:57:39 +0100, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

"Peter" wrote in message
.. .

I bough the Aldi offer this week of a router and table, plus a few
bits, but I can't figure how to secure the router to the underside of
the table. It seems a sloppy fit at best and the brackets they supply
are in very engineering-like positions, certainly not stable.

Has anybody else figured this puzzle?

In Aldi they are selling a Makita look-alike SDS drill with drill, etc. Is
is going for £25 with a 3 year guarantee. As these are on deals I assume
they are normally £50-60. For £25 and a 3 year guarantee it can't be that
bad at all. They look OK. Out of interest has anyone bought one?

It can be. The other crap they are selling with the descriptions
"router" and "router table" don't even fit together.

Goodness only knows what a £25 SDS drill will be like.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Doctor Drivel

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Thu, 6 Oct 2005 19:57:39 +0100, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

"Peter" wrote in message
.. .

I bough the Aldi offer this week of a router and table, plus a few
bits, but I can't figure how to secure the router to the underside of
the table. It seems a sloppy fit at best and the brackets they supply
are in very engineering-like positions, certainly not stable.

Has anybody else figured this puzzle?

In Aldi they are selling a Makita look-alike SDS drill with drill, etc.

Is
is going for £25 with a 3 year guarantee. As these are on deals I assume
they are normally £50-60. For £25 and a 3 year guarantee it can't be

that
bad at all. They look OK. Out of interest has anyone bought one?

It can be. The other crap they are selling with the descriptions
"router" and "router table" don't even fit together.

Goodness only knows what a £25 SDS drill will be like.

But you haven't bought one. That was what I asked, not a rambling drivel
comment.

Doctor Drivel

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message
enews.net...

"Peter" wrote in message

I bough the Aldi offer this week of a router and table, plus a few
bits, but I can't figure how to secure the router to the underside of
the table. It seems a sloppy fit at best and the brackets they supply
are in very engineering-like positions, certainly not stable.

Has anybody else figured this puzzle?

In Aldi they are selling a Makita look-alike SDS drill with drill, etc.

Is
is going for £25 with a 3 year guarantee. As these are on deals I assume
they are normally £50-60. For £25 and a 3 year guarantee it can't be that
bad at all. They look OK. Out of interest has anyone bought one?

How much is it to rent a 900w SDS? It is probably worth just buying this
drill, and if it does 2 jobs then you are in - 3 yr guarantee so no probs.

Andy Hall

On Fri, 7 Oct 2005 00:30:22 +0100, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 6 Oct 2005 19:57:39 +0100, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

"Peter" wrote in message
.. .

I bough the Aldi offer this week of a router and table, plus a few
bits, but I can't figure how to secure the router to the underside of
the table. It seems a sloppy fit at best and the brackets they supply
are in very engineering-like positions, certainly not stable.

Has anybody else figured this puzzle?

In Aldi they are selling a Makita look-alike SDS drill with drill, etc.

Is
is going for £25 with a 3 year guarantee. As these are on deals I assume
they are normally £50-60. For £25 and a 3 year guarantee it can't be

that
bad at all. They look OK. Out of interest has anyone bought one?

It can be. The other crap they are selling with the descriptions
"router" and "router table" don't even fit together.

Goodness only knows what a £25 SDS drill will be like.

But you haven't bought one.

No need. Equating £25 and a 3 year warranty to making something worth
buying is completely illogical.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Andy Hall

On Fri, 7 Oct 2005 00:33:10 +0100, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message
eenews.net...

"Peter" wrote in message

I bough the Aldi offer this week of a router and table, plus a few
bits, but I can't figure how to secure the router to the underside of
the table. It seems a sloppy fit at best and the brackets they supply
are in very engineering-like positions, certainly not stable.

Has anybody else figured this puzzle?

In Aldi they are selling a Makita look-alike SDS drill with drill, etc.

Is
is going for £25 with a 3 year guarantee. As these are on deals I assume
they are normally £50-60. For £25 and a 3 year guarantee it can't be that
bad at all. They look OK. Out of interest has anyone bought one?

How much is it to rent a 900w SDS? It is probably worth just buying this
drill, and if it does 2 jobs then you are in - 3 yr guarantee so no probs.

That would assume that it actually works and doesn't catch fire, fall
apart or cause injury into the bargain.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Lobster

wrote:

I bough the Aldi offer this week of a router and table, plus a few
bits, but I can't figure how to secure the router to the underside of
the table. It seems a sloppy fit at best and the brackets they supply
are in very engineering-like positions, certainly not stable.

Has anybody else figured this puzzle?

What on earth would lead you to believe that they would be in any way
compatible?

Brilliant! I was in Aldi myself yesterday, and there were loads of
folk pushing around trolleys containing the router and the table.

David
dennis@home

"Andy Hall" wrote in message

But you haven't bought one.

No need. Equating £25 and a 3 year warranty to making something worth
buying is completely illogical.

Have you any idea how much it costs to make an SDS drill?
Looking at them I would say there is no more than £2 in components.

So being cheap doesn't always equate to making no profit or being poor
quality.
It does mean no expensive brand name.

Andy Hall

On Fri, 07 Oct 2005 06:58:54 GMT, "dennis@home"
wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
.. .

But you haven't bought one.

No need. Equating £25 and a 3 year warranty to making something worth
buying is completely illogical.

Have you any idea how much it costs to make an SDS drill?

It depends on where you make it, the design and the type and quality
of materials used.

Looking at them I would say there is no more than £2 in components.

Quite possibly if you buy one of these really cheap ones.

However, a product at this price point is a world apart from a decent
SDS drill such as a Bosch, Makita or DeWalt.

So being cheap doesn't always equate to making no profit or being poor
quality.

Generally it does.

"It is unwise to pay too much, but is is worse to pay too little. The
common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a
lot. . . . it can't be done. When you deal with the lowest bidder, it
is wise to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you
will have enough to pay for something better!"- John Ruskin
(1819-1900)

It does mean no expensive brand name.

There is certainly a level of cost associated with maintaining a
brand. However, in the case of the leading power tool manufacturers,
it also means getting a good quality product that works properly and
safely over a long period of time without being an ergonomic problem
to use, and for which proper spares and service are available if ever
required.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Andy Hall

wrote:

I bough the Aldi offer this week of a router and table, plus a few
bits, but I can't figure how to secure the router to the underside of
the table. It seems a sloppy fit at best and the brackets they supply
are in very engineering-like positions, certainly not stable.

Has anybody else figured this puzzle?

What on earth would lead you to believe that they would be in any way
compatible?

Brilliant! I was in Aldi myself yesterday, and there were loads of
folk pushing around trolleys containing the router and the table.

David

The photo wiht the user trying to operate the router while wearing a
thick pair of gardening gloves says it all.

These kind of products are a joke. I really hope for the sake of the
people using them that they don't turn out to be a dangerous joke.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
david lang

Andy Hall wrote:
However, a product at this price point is a world apart from a decent
SDS drill such as a Bosch, Makita or DeWalt.

So being cheap doesn't always equate to making no profit or being
poor quality.

Generally it does.

I seem to recall a bunch of British motorcycle manufacturers using similar
arguments when the first Japanese bikes came out in the UK. All these cheap
unknown brands like Honda, Yammaha etc. They won't last, they won't be
reliable etc, etc.

Then we heard the same arguments about cheap Japanese cars. All these cheap
unknown brands like Datsun, Toyota etc. They won't last, they won't be
reliable etc, etc.

The rest, as they say, is history.

Dave

Doctor Drivel

"Peter" wrote in message

[...]

Matt, I asked for opinions from people who have used one, not your inane
ramblings.

Doctor Drivel

wrote:

I bough the Aldi offer this week of a router and table, plus a few
bits, but I can't figure how to secure the router to the underside of
the table. It seems a sloppy fit at best and the brackets they supply
are in very engineering-like positions, certainly not stable.

Has anybody else figured this puzzle?

What on earth would lead you to believe that they would be in any way
compatible?

Brilliant! I was in Aldi myself yesterday, and there were loads of
folk pushing around trolleys containing the router and the table.

David

The photo wiht the user trying to operate the router while wearing a
thick pair of gardening gloves says it all.

These kind of products are a joke.

Matt, have you used this product?

dennis@home

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Fri, 07 Oct 2005 06:58:54 GMT, "dennis@home"
wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
. ..

But you haven't bought one.

No need. Equating £25 and a 3 year warranty to making something worth
buying is completely illogical.

Have you any idea how much it costs to make an SDS drill?

It depends on where you make it, the design and the type and quality
of materials used.

Looking at them I would say there is no more than £2 in components.

Quite possibly if you buy one of these really cheap ones.

However, a product at this price point is a world apart from a decent
SDS drill such as a Bosch, Makita or DeWalt.

No you misunderstand.
There are no more than £2 of components in an SDS drill even if it is
branded Makita or DeWalt.

Andy Hall

On Fri, 07 Oct 2005 07:58:03 GMT, "david lang"
wrote:

Andy Hall wrote:
However, a product at this price point is a world apart from a decent
SDS drill such as a Bosch, Makita or DeWalt.

So being cheap doesn't always equate to making no profit or being
poor quality.

Generally it does.

I seem to recall a bunch of British motorcycle manufacturers using similar
arguments when the first Japanese bikes came out in the UK. All these cheap
unknown brands like Honda, Yammaha etc. They won't last, they won't be
reliable etc, etc.

Then we heard the same arguments about cheap Japanese cars. All these cheap
unknown brands like Datsun, Toyota etc. They won't last, they won't be
reliable etc, etc.

The rest, as they say, is history.

Dave

Yes, but this is a rather different game.

The vendors that you mention do produce quality products and support
them properly. Those that I mentioned certainly do manufacture in low
cost areas but use quality materials, designs and components.

What we are talking about here is simply volume manufacture and
warehouse shifting of cheap junk of poor quality, little or no backup
addressing a market for disposable products where people buy only on
price.

There's nothing wrong with that as long as people understand that
there is no backup apart from a unit replacement, accuracy and
ergonomics of use are poor and that there could well be safety issues
in some cases.

There's also nothing wrong with buying on price, but it's a nonsense
to suggest that the quality is the same as a decent product, that the
3 year warranty is a substitute for proper service and spares and that
such a product is equivalent to a quality brand when plainly it isn't.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Andy Hall

On Fri, 07 Oct 2005 08:29:43 GMT, "dennis@home"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message

But you haven't bought one.

No need. Equating £25 and a 3 year warranty to making something worth
buying is completely illogical.

Have you any idea how much it costs to make an SDS drill?

It depends on where you make it, the design and the type and quality
of materials used.

Looking at them I would say there is no more than £2 in components.

Quite possibly if you buy one of these really cheap ones.

However, a product at this price point is a world apart from a decent
SDS drill such as a Bosch, Makita or DeWalt.

No you misunderstand.
There are no more than £2 of components in an SDS drill even if it is
branded Makita or DeWalt.

I don't misunderstand at all. Have you looked inside each type of
product and compared?

There is a huge difference.

There is also the issue of development and support which does not come
for nothing.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Andy Hall

On Fri, 7 Oct 2005 09:19:34 +0100, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

I bough the Aldi offer this week of a router and table, plus a few
bits, but I can't figure how to secure the router to the underside of
the table. It seems a sloppy fit at best and the brackets they supply
are in very engineering-like positions, certainly not stable.

Has anybody else figured this puzzle?

What on earth would lead you to believe that they would be in any way
compatible?

Brilliant! I was in Aldi myself yesterday, and there were loads of
folk pushing around trolleys containing the router and the table.

David

The photo wiht the user trying to operate the router while wearing a
thick pair of gardening gloves says it all.

These kind of products are a joke.

Matt, have you used this product?

You had better ask Matt that question.

dennis@home

"Andy Hall" wrote in message

I don't misunderstand at all. Have you looked inside each type of
product and compared?

Some of them in the past.
Not the Aldi one.

There is a huge difference.

Yes the quality ones use designs that are *cheaper* to make.
E.g. tooled for robotic assembly.

There is also the issue of development

No.. that is why they can assemble them using machines.

and support which does not come
for nothing.

This about the only thing that costs more.
Does it cost 20 times more?
How many people are going to use it?

Chris Bacon

Andy Hall wrote:
Goodness only knows what a £25 SDS drill will be like.

My one, which I bought some time ago, and included a set
of bits/chisels in the price, has done loads of heavy work
since, and is still going fine. The bits are still OK, too.
The3rd Earl Of Derby

wrote:

I bough the Aldi offer this week of a router and table, plus a few
bits, but I can't figure how to secure the router to the underside
of the table. It seems a sloppy fit at best and the brackets they
supply are in very engineering-like positions, certainly not
stable.

Has anybody else figured this puzzle?

What on earth would lead you to believe that they would be in any
way compatible?

Brilliant! I was in Aldi myself yesterday, and there were loads of
folk pushing around trolleys containing the router and the table.

David

The photo wiht the user trying to operate the router while wearing a
thick pair of gardening gloves says it all.

These kind of products are a joke. I really hope for the sake of the
people using them that they don't turn out to be a dangerous joke.

As much as I hate to say this but the router table is as exactly the same
as what's being offred by Ryobi,MachineMart,Trend ect.

However the tools are a joke but aimed at the once or twice used
householder who don't give a toss about its reliability, its cheap it will
drill,cut,sand and it will do for the next job is all they are worried
about.
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Chris Bacon

Doctor Drivel wrote:
How much is it to rent a 900w SDS? It is probably worth just
buying this (Aldi) drill, and if it does 2 jobs then you are in
- 3 yr guarantee so no probs.

The one I bought has a sort of barrel type motor pointing
down, rather than being inline with the bit. It's great.
It came with some bits, and a 25mm chisel, and a pointed
breaking chisel, too. You could buy two for fifty quid,
and either keep one in case of breakdown, or use one in
each hand.
Matt

"dennis@home" wrote:

No you misunderstand.
There are no more than £2 of components in an SDS drill even if it is
branded Makita or DeWalt.

Dribble, by that wildly inaccurate comment it can be safely assumed
you have never been involved in any manufacturing industry.

Chris Bacon

Lobster wrote:
Brilliant! I was in Aldi myself yesterday, and there were loads of
folk pushing around trolleys containing the router and the table.

Their advert. did say they are compatible. They said "most routers"
are. Perhaps the OP just had an off day mounting the router. I've no
idea, 'cos they'd sold out by the time I got there.
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Chris Bacon wrote:
Lobster wrote:
Brilliant! I was in Aldi myself yesterday, and there were loads of
folk pushing around trolleys containing the router and the table.

Their advert. did say they are compatible. They said "most routers"
are. Perhaps the OP just had an off day mounting the router. I've no
idea, 'cos they'd sold out by the time I got there.

Router Tables are still available at my local Aldi. ;-)
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Chris Bacon

Andy Hall wrote:
"dennis@home"wrote:
No you misunderstand.
There are no more than £2 of components in an SDS drill even if it is
branded Makita or DeWalt.

I don't misunderstand at all. Have you looked inside each type of
product and compared? There is a huge difference.

What, have you taken each product apart and compared them? I bet you
have not!
dennis@home

"Matt" wrote in message
"dennis@home" wrote:

No you misunderstand.
There are no more than £2 of components in an SDS drill even if it is
branded Makita or DeWalt.

Dribble, by that wildly inaccurate comment it can be safely assumed
you have never been involved in any manufacturing industry.

The fact that you have no idea how much components costs prove you don't.
How do you think they make a profit on £20 SDS drills?

Do you think the price you pay in a shop has any bearing on the
manufacturing costs?

Chris Bacon

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
Router Tables are still available at my local Aldi. ;-)

Oh, bum. Now you're really rubbing it in. Where, approx.?