Valerie

Default cooker hood

I have a old cooker hood over my cooker as part of the work units - the
type that when you open the 'door' it can start either the light, or
fan, or both. It is linked to a vent in an outside wall.

There is also an opening on the top of the work units over the fan, and
this causes the ceiling to get covered in grease deposits (which then
attract dust) and is a pain to periodically.

Does anyone know if I can safely cover the hole on top of the work
unit?

thanks

Andy Pandy

On 6 Oct 2005 04:57:33 -0700, "Valerie"
wrote:

I have a old cooker hood over my cooker as part of the work units - the
type that when you open the 'door' it can start either the light, or
fan, or both. It is linked to a vent in an outside wall.

There is also an opening on the top of the work units over the fan, and
this causes the ceiling to get covered in grease deposits (which then
attract dust) and is a pain to periodically.

Does anyone know if I can safely cover the hole on top of the work
unit?

thanks

If it's vented to the outside from the back of the unit, the top hole
should be covered with a circular plastic cover. It only there as an
alternative route and can be blocked up..

Andy
Valerie

Thanks
I've now used a small piece of broken paving stone that I had lying
around. The hood's old so doubt I could find the part anywhere on line
(I've tried looking for the hood online without sucess. I guess the
builders just forgot to put the cover on.

Val

Andy Pandy wrote:

If it's vented to the outside from the back of the unit, the top hole
should be covered with a circular plastic cover. It only there as an
alternative route and can be blocked up..

Andy

Andy Pandy

On 6 Oct 2005 09:09:55 -0700, "Valerie"
wrote:

Thanks
I've now used a small piece of broken paving stone that I had lying
around. The hood's old so doubt I could find the part anywhere on line
(I've tried looking for the hood online without sucess. I guess the
builders just forgot to put the cover on.

Val

You wont get a replacement separately now, apart from off an old one.

You would get a better seal by running a bead of mastic around the
hole - cleaning of the grease first ;-) - and placing a suitable
sized piece of hardboard over the top or even better, something
plastic faced.

Andy
Lurch

On 6 Oct 2005 09:09:55 -0700, "Valerie"
scrawled:

Thanks
I've now used a small piece of broken paving stone that I had lying
around. The hood's old so doubt I could find the part anywhere on line
(I've tried looking for the hood online without sucess. I guess the
builders just forgot to put the cover on.

And it is vented outside?

Personally, I wouldn't throw a bit of paving slab on it, maybe a piece
of plastic siliconed on would be better.
--
Stuart @ SJW Electrical

Please Reply to group

Cooker Hood and Open (Conventional) Flue Oil Combi Boiler chopsaw UK diy 2 March 15th 05 11:37 PM
Ducting for kitchen cooker hood Mark UK diy 8 March 3rd 05 10:50 AM
cooker hood davef UK diy 1 November 28th 04 10:48 PM
Cooker Hood and Gas Hob (mains) supply Richard Savage UK diy 11 May 12th 04 09:22 PM
Cooker hood wiring again! John Greenwood UK diy 3 July 31st 03 11:10 AM