Sparks

What are the odds on the actual immersion heater elements inside the
hot water cylinder being knackered & tripping the circuit?Is there
anyway of knowing that the elements are knackered from just looking at
them?If they are the problem which I suspect, are they easy to remove &
replace?

Sounds like this is the problem - can you disconnect the heater's Neutral
only, then see if it still trips? (you need to tape up the this disconnected
wire, and not touch anything in there when it is on, obviously)

If this still causes tripping, disconnect it completely, and try again, if
this still results in a trip, then it isn't the element, but if then stops
the tripping, pretty sure it is! (How old is it?)

When you say it trips, do you mean an RCD or MCB (You mention a fuse in your
post too)

Sparks...

Junior Member

Default economy 7 water heater tripping electrical circuit

Hi there,my economy 7 water heater has just started to trip the electrical circuit in my house whenever I switch it on.Initially it only tripped the circuit on the cheap rate heating during the early hours of the morning but that soon progressed onto tripping out when using the booster switch too.So now I can't use the economy 7 water heater completely.I've tried a new 30 amp fuse but the problem still persists & the wiring to the thermostat & immersion heater elements all seem to be intact.
What are the odds on the actual immersion heater elements inside the hot water cylinder being knackered & tripping the circuit?Is there anyway of knowing that the elements are knackered from just looking at them?If they are the problem which I suspect, are they easy to remove & replace?

Thanks so much for reading this posting, any constructive feedback would be very much appreciated as winter is soon on it's way!

regards

Crispin
Dave Liquorice

On Thu, 6 Oct 2005 19:00:12 +0100, kjhi98 wrote:

I've tried a new 30 amp fuse ...

When you say "trip the electrical circuit in my house" what do you
mean? An RCD trips (thing with a test button on it) or the fuse blows
(30A probably with quite a bang...)

What are the odds on the actual immersion heater elements inside the
hot water cylinder being knackered & tripping the circuit?

Very high.

Is there anyway of knowing that the elements are knackered from just
looking at them?

Possibly but the only way to look at 'em is to take 'em out. So you
may as well simply take them out and replace.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Mark Carver

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Thu, 6 Oct 2005 19:00:12 +0100, kjhi98 wrote:

I've tried a new 30 amp fuse ...

When you say "trip the electrical circuit in my house" what do you
mean? An RCD trips (thing with a test button on it) or the fuse blows
(30A probably with quite a bang...)

What are the odds on the actual immersion heater elements inside the
hot water cylinder being knackered & tripping the circuit?

Very high.

In a hard water area almost certainly, the limescale build up on the element
eventually causes local hotspots and the device will rupture. My parents'
element would go (normally short to earth) every two to three years, since
getting a water softener it's been in use for almost 10 years (saying that will
make it fail now !)

--
Mark

Water heater leak? Jim Z Home Repair 1 July 18th 04 02:57 PM
Power cost of idle electric water heater Phil Sherrod Home Repair 57 April 2nd 04 11:51 PM
Electric Water Heater Problem, Repair or Buy new, please help Robert Home Repair 10 January 10th 04 02:09 AM
Cost to install gas hot water heater Walleye Home Ownership 8 September 10th 03 04:20 AM
hot water recirculator, instant hot water but not a water heating unit, saves water, gas, time, money HeatMan Home Repair 0 August 24th 03 01:26 PM