Chris

Default The pilot light on my gas fire won't stay on

The pilot light on my gas fire won't stay on.

Any ideas?

As soon as I release the gas push-button, after the recommended twenty
seconds, the pilot light goes out.
--
Chris
Sparks

"Chris" ] wrote in message
]...
The pilot light on my gas fire won't stay on.

Any ideas?

As soon as I release the gas push-button, after the recommended twenty
seconds, the pilot light goes out.

It is probably the thermocouple

if you look at the flame (while holding the button) is there something the
flame is licking round?

Sparks...

Chris

In article , Sparks
writes
"Chris" ] wrote in message
]...
The pilot light on my gas fire won't stay on.
Any ideas?
As soon as I release the gas push-button, after the recommended twenty
seconds, the pilot light goes out.

It is probably the thermocouple
if you look at the flame (while holding the button) is there something the
flame is licking round?

Well ... I think so - and the manual makes reference to a thermocouple.
The stove is a Jotul GF 3 BV CE.
It's four years old.
For the first three years I left the pilot light on - but for this
summer I turned it off - and last week it wouldn't stay on.
Should I have left the pilot light on throughout the summer?
How much gas would that use, anyway?
--
Chris
Sparks

Well ... I think so - and the manual makes reference to a thermocouple.
The stove is a Jotul GF 3 BV CE.
It's four years old.
For the first three years I left the pilot light on - but for this summer
I turned it off - and last week it wouldn't stay on.
Should I have left the pilot light on throughout the summer?
How much gas would that use, anyway?
--
Chris

I think is is somthing like £15-20 per yer IIRC

If it's this one
http://www.jotulflame.com/allag.html
It looks like it may well have a 5 year warranty

Sparks...

Set Square

Chris ] wrote:

The pilot light on my gas fire won't stay on.

Any ideas?

As soon as I release the gas push-button, after the recommended twenty
seconds, the pilot light goes out.

The pilot light heats up a thermocouple which produces a very small amount
of electric current - but sufficient to feed a coil in the gas valve which
holds the gas on. Pressing the button over-rides the flame failure device,
and allows the pilot to be lit.

If the pilot doesn't stay lit, the possible causes a
* Pilot flame not strong enough to heat the thermocouple
* Incorrectly aligned thermocouple
* Crud in the pilot jet, deflecting the flame away from the thermocouple
* Duff electrical connection between thermocouple and gas valve
* Duff coil in gas valve

So check that the flame is of a reasonable size, and that the TC is in the
hottest (blue) part of the flame. Check the connections and, if necessary,
check the continuity of the coil to which the TC connects.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Rob Morley

In article ], ] says...
The pilot light on my gas fire won't stay on.

Any ideas?

As soon as I release the gas push-button, after the recommended twenty
seconds, the pilot light goes out.

I have a "living flame" gas fire that does this - the thermocouple
doesn't get warm enough and the gas cuts out because it thinks the pilot
light has gone out. If I warm the thermocouple with a blowlamp the
pilot light manages to keep it warm and the pilot stays lit. It could
be that the thermocouple is faulty or wrongly positioned, or that the
pilot jet is partially blocked.
Dave Fawthrop

On Wed, 5 Oct 2005 20:27:45 +0100, "Sparks" wrote:

| "Chris" ] wrote in message
| ]...
| The pilot light on my gas fire won't stay on.
|
| Any ideas?
|
| As soon as I release the gas push-button, after the recommended twenty
| seconds, the pilot light goes out.
|
| It is probably the thermocouple
|
| if you look at the flame (while holding the button) is there something the
| flame is licking round?

I have had a thermocouple which was there by the above test but did not
work. Thermocouples are commonly available and easily replaced.

--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk
The London suicide bombers killed innocent commuters.
Ed Sirett

On Thu, 06 Oct 2005 07:48:21 +0100, Dave Fawthrop wrote:

On Wed, 5 Oct 2005 20:27:45 +0100, "Sparks" wrote:

| "Chris" ] wrote in message
| ]...
| The pilot light on my gas fire won't stay on.
|
| Any ideas?
|
| As soon as I release the gas push-button, after the recommended twenty
| seconds, the pilot light goes out.
|
| It is probably the thermocouple
|
| if you look at the flame (while holding the button) is there something the
| flame is licking round?

I have had a thermocouple which was there by the above test but did not
work. Thermocouples are commonly available and easily replaced.

..... on boilers.

For many gas fires the pilot is also an atmospheric
sensing device. These are usually sold as complete units. I think the
manufacturers don't trust anyone to install the t/couple in the
right position. The positioning of the t/couple is crucial to the correct
operation.

However with a bit of luck you just might have some debris stopping the
flame neatly hit the end of the t/couple.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The pilot light on my gas heater won't stay on

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...on-199410-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Must be pretty old, Pilot lights went out with the dinosaurs.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Kevin" wrote in message
roupdirect.com...
The pilot light on my gas heater won't stay on

--
For full context, visit
https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...on-199410-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/08/2020 16:48, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
Must be pretty old, Pilot lights went out with the dinosaurs.
Brian

The fire was 3 years old 14 years ago when the original question was asked!