How can I open a trade card/account

Old October 5th 05, 05:49 AM
[email protected]

Default How can I open a trade card/account

Like many people here, I am a big DIYer. I am now doing friends and at
this rate should give up the day job !

No, that will never happen. So I am looking at getting access to trade
prices as a 'normal JOE'. It seems everyone has a different trick.

So far I've managed to gleem the following

- Open a bank account in the name of the company.
- Don't bother registering as a Ltd no point
- Use bank as a reference
- Open you have a card from one, use it to get others.
- Visit them during a normal working day. Avoid early AM
- Cover your mobile in dust, paint and scratches
- Ensure your work clothes are filthy in dust, paint cement

The next step for me is to get a trade card. I'm not looking for any 30
days credit. Just the discount. Can anyone recomend a merchant thats
the easiest to get one.

The projects I need the discounts for are
- TILING (Topps Tiles offer %40 off their bulk prices)
- Bathroom (seems plumbcenter is what people recomend)
- Flooring (carpet..not sure about who/where for this

In terms of previous posts, I have already noted the screwfix and
wickes can offer good prices depending..

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk....7eca3409 27d0

Old October 5th 05, 10:56 AM
T i m

On Wed, 05 Oct 2005 09:51:18 +0100, Chris Bacon

I am looking at getting access to trade prices as a 'normal JOE'.

What's a JOE?

Joe Bloggs, ordinary man in the street (in this case *not* a
tradesman).

T i m
Old October 5th 05, 11:18 AM
[email protected]

No, that will never happen. So I am looking at getting access to trade
prices as a 'normal JOE'. It seems everyone has a different trick.

I will be doing an extension soon. I was thinking about this yesterday.
I would love to get trade discounts. Are there any laws governing all
this ?
I guess anyone can get bulk discounts, say buying 2000 tiles, haggle a
bit etc.
I have found that wearing dirty clothes makes me feel like a real
builder, but I've no idea if the feeling projects !
Simon.

Old October 5th 05, 01:09 PM
[email protected]

Great to start up a discussion on the topic.

I've since found that there are at least 2 trade cards that I can apply
for over the internet that allow me in some case to use anyone of 3000
merchants.

And like I say, it seems that once you have 1 or 2 then you can get
others from smaller companies that can open trade accounts.

We'll I'm off to the bank to open a bussiness account..

Old October 5th 05, 03:36 PM
Lobster

Chris Bacon wrote:

Go into the BM, tell them what you're likely to spend per month,
ask for a cash card. TP or Jewson's certainly would issue them
to all comers a year or three ago. You might have to fill in a
short form. Getting an account is a bit difficult.

TP still certainly do a trade card
(see http://www.trademate.co.uk/Accounts/TCCInfo.asp)
I have one; it gives me 20-30% off list automatically (ie without having
to do the "wot's yer best price fer..." dance). However, list prices are
so high that this is still very uncompetitive - Screwfix et al are way
cheaper. They'll always negotiate on individual purchases, but it's
about how much you can blag it, and significantly, how much business you
put their way.

Catch 22, of course, as I said to the salesman last time I was in; I'm
not about to start spending loads of extra cash at TP in the hope that
in a few months they might condescend to raise my discount level.

The one good thing about a TP trade card is that it affords free delivery.

Anyway, I loathe the place and use it only when I can't find something
unusual at Wickes or Screwfix (or if I want a ton of sand delivered!).
Being a BM of course nothing is priced so you have to ask; and your
invoice gives no clue as to the level of discount you've been given.
You can get list prices off their website, however.

Where else... I have trade accounts at Howden's - just told them I was
setting up in business; think they might have asked my bank for a
reference (and I only have a personal account). Also Plumbcenter; never
use it as it's quite like TP. I get trade at a local one-man plumber's
merchant though; just by going in there enough I think I'm just now
established as a 'regular'!

David

The projects I need the discounts for are
- TILING (Topps Tiles offer %40 off their bulk prices)
- Bathroom (seems plumbcenter is what people recomend)
- Flooring (carpet..not sure about who/where for this

No idea about them, also I've never used "plumbcenter" as
a) I don't know where there is one, and b) the name.

In terms of previous posts, I have already noted the screwfix and
wickes can offer good prices depending..

Yup. I wouldn't bother with all the subterfuge of getting
dirty, it'll get you nowhere. If you are worried you
might be refused, go into a non-local branch and ask.

Old October 5th 05, 06:56 PM
Ian White

Anna Kettle wrote:

Agreed. At my local Jewsons I mutter the magic words 'Cash Trade' and
get their standard discount. I don't buy enough stuff there to get any
super discounts.

What do you classify as "standard" and as "super" discounts?

--
Ian White