Army

Default Conservatory footing depth + general muck shifting questions!

Hi all,

I'm planning the footings for our self-build conservatory and need
some advice.

I have dug an investigatory hole to see how deep the house foundations
are. The house is a 1980s 2 storey detached. So far I have (from DPC
down over) three courses of brick followed by three courses of blocks.
I haven't managed to dig any deeper yet because the small area of the
hole is making it rather difficult. Assuming that there are 3 courses
of blocks + 3 courses of bricks that is about 900 to dpc plus I guess
about 250m of concrete for the footings. DPC is about 2 bricks height
above ground level so that leaves a dig of around 1000.

To be as safe as possible I guess that my conservatory foundations
should match the house foundations in depth and construction.

I'm wondering whether this is going to be overkill given that the
conservatory with 600 dwarf wall is going to be much lighter than the
house.

I will be doing all the work myself. If the foundation trench needs
to be 1000 deep to match the house then the conservatory of 3400 x
4000 with a trench width of 450 is going to entail digging away 4.725
cube of earth! Clearly that is quite a lot and if I can safely keep
the foundations shallower then that would be great!

I notice that picture 3 on
http://www.conservatoriesonline.com/construct1.htm shows a foundation
trench where the blockwork foundations of the main house can be seen
thus indicating that the main foundations are much deeper than the
conservatories. Is this acceptable practice?

Would anyone care to comment on whether I am taking on too much work
for one person here. In addition to the digging for the foundations I
will need to strip off some topsoil in readiness for the hardcore, I
will have about 1 cube of concrete to mix and pour for the footings,
about 1.5 cube of hardcore to move and compact, blinding and
insulation to lay and then another approx 1 cube of concrete to mix
and lay for the floor, not to mention the brick laying. My QS pal
recons that's about 2 weeks work for 2 big lads. I thought that
seemed a bit over the top.

Any thoughts, am I mad to even consider it?

Thanks

Mike
Rick

On Wed, 05 Oct 2005 09:57:50 GMT, Army wrote:

[...]

I think you need some advice on how much footings to make, you may be
best having a slab.

A mini digger will cost you a hundred quid for a weekend, and is MUCH
safer. That depth of hole will be nasty if it falls in on you. a mirco
digger will do what you need, and will fit through a normal doorway. A
mini dumper may help shift the muck if you have any distance to move
it.

I mixed & layed 1 cube last weekend, in about 3 hours. If I had chosen
a hot day I would have been in trobble. I only did this cause getting
a concrete truck is a pain, as it can't get to my house. I would
always recommend you get a truck, or a mix & barrow service.

If you are happy for the build to take a while, then its not too much
work, if you want it done in a week, you will be dissapointed.

Foundations are the worst bit, once you have dug a massive hole, its
full of dangers, its much easier to sleep if you go in hard and fast
with decent equipment, and the holes are filled in with stuff asap.

Rick

Peter Crosland

Why don't you go and talk to your local building control office? You need
their approval anyway AFAIK so be guided by them.

--
Peter Crosland

AlexW

Peter Crosland wrote:
Why don't you go and talk to your local building control office? You need
their approval anyway AFAIK so be guided by them.

Not that that is a bad idea, but often then are exempt, quoting my BCO:

"Works exempt from Building Regulations
..
..
..
Conservatories – these must be separated from the dwelling by a door,
have at least three quarters of the area of the roof and half the area
of the walls made of light transmitting material and should incorporate
safety glazing where appropriate."
Peter Crosland

Why don't you go and talk to your local building control office? You need
their approval anyway AFAIK so be guided by them.

Not that that is a bad idea, but often then are exempt, quoting my BCO:
"Works exempt from Building Regulations
.
.
.
Conservatories – these must be separated from the dwelling by a door, have
at least three quarters of the area of the roof and half the area of the
walls made of light transmitting material and should incorporate safety
glazing where appropriate."

Interesting! A friend recently had one installed and the BCO had to approve
the footings and base. I would be interested to know if there is a size
limit below which there is an exemption.

Peter Crosland

Andy Hall

On Wed, 5 Oct 2005 19:10:36 +0100, "Peter Crosland"
wrote:

Why don't you go and talk to your local building control office? You need
their approval anyway AFAIK so be guided by them.

Not that that is a bad idea, but often then are exempt, quoting my BCO:
"Works exempt from Building Regulations
.
.
.
Conservatories – these must be separated from the dwelling by a door, have
at least three quarters of the area of the roof and half the area of the
walls made of light transmitting material and should incorporate safety
glazing where appropriate."

Interesting! A friend recently had one installed and the BCO had to approve
the footings and base. I would be interested to know if there is a size
limit below which there is an exemption.

Peter Crosland

Yes. Less than 30m^2 inside measurements.

The complete list:

1) The conservatory will be used solely for domestic purposes
2) The conservatory is to be built at ground floor level
3) The conservatory will not contain any sleeping accommodation
4) A minimum of 75% of the conservatory roof will be glazed with
translucent or transparent materials
5) A minimum of 50% of the conservatory walls will be glazed with
translucent or transparent materials
6) The floor area of the conservatory will be less than 30 metres
squared (internal measurement)
7) The construction of the conservatory will not affect the existing
drainage system
8) The conservatory will not be 'permanently heated' (This can be
achieved by thermostatic radiator valves)
9) The conservatory must be separated from the existing property by a
wall, door or glazed screen
10) No part of the conservatory shall be within one metre of the
boundary of the property

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Army

On Wed, 05 Oct 2005 11:12:33 GMT, Rick wrote:

On Wed, 05 Oct 2005 09:57:50 GMT, Army wrote:

snip my ramblings

I think you need some advice on how much footings to make, you may be
best having a slab.

Hi Rick. I have since spoken to my local building control dept. The
conservatory is of course exempt but he did let me pick his brains re
foundation depth. He correctly identified the soil in my area as
being of a sandy/gravely consistency and recommended 600-750 to bottom
of trench with at least 6 inches of concrete. I was going to lay
about 250 of concrete.

A trench of say 700 doesn't seem quite so daunting having done a test
dig and having found the soil to be quite manageable so I'm going to
manually dig it. I think that I will splash out on the luxury of
getting a large skip with a fold down door though!

A mini digger will cost you a hundred quid for a weekend, and is MUCH
safer. That depth of hole will be nasty if it falls in on you. a mirco
digger will do what you need, and will fit through a normal doorway. A
mini dumper may help shift the muck if you have any distance to move
it.

I mixed & layed 1 cube last weekend, in about 3 hours. If I had chosen
a hot day I would have been in trobble. I only did this cause getting
a concrete truck is a pain, as it can't get to my house. I would
always recommend you get a truck, or a mix & barrow service.

I think I may owe you big time for that suggestion. I had costed the
concrete to mix myself including cement, ballast and mixer hire to be
£152 for the 2 cube that I'll need (1 for footings, 1 for slab). I've
since found a mix and barrow service who will do one visit for the
footings for £132.50 and another trip a week or so later for the slab
for £138. This includes barrowing it all around the back of the
house. Nearly double the cost but experience has taught me that it is
sometimes worth putting your hand in your pocket...

If you are happy for the build to take a while, then its not too much
work, if you want it done in a week, you will be dissapointed.

No hurry here!

Foundations are the worst bit, once you have dug a massive hole, its
full of dangers, its much easier to sleep if you go in hard and fast
with decent equipment, and the holes are filled in with stuff asap.

Rick

I have found in my test trench, a horizontal pipe of about 10-15mm
diameter. It looks like it is coming from the base of the gutter
downpipe so I assume it is a rainwater pipe. Looking at my levels, I
think that the concrete footings are going to come up to about level
with the centre of this pipe. How does one cope with this? I guess
that if the pipe is at brick level then one forms an opening using a
concrete lintel for it. If the pipe is at concrete level is it safe
just to pour the concrete around it? I would worry about any slight
movement breaking the pipe (although I also realise that there
shouldn't be any movement at all!) The pipe is thick brown plastic,
not ceramic.

Thanks

Mike
mike. buckley

In message , Andy Hall
writes

[...]

Oops.

We fall down on 8, 10 and possibly 5 (one wall is solid as it's close to
the fence).

Surely just about every conservatory on a semi or modern build detached
will fall foul of 10?

Next time I'm in a shed I'd better pick up a thermostatic valve!

--
Mike Buckley
RD350LC2
Peter Crosland

[...]

Remember that if and when you come to sell your house you will be required
to prove you have had all relevant planning and building control
permissions. Doing it right now will save you time and money in the long
run.

Peter Crosland

Peter Crosland wrote:
[...]

When we thought of having a conservatory the supplier recommended
applying for both planning and building regulations if only to receive
letters saying we were exempt, within permitted development, etc. It
can save some toing and froing if you want to sell in the future.

Father in law was prevented from having a conservatory due to the "45
degree rule". Has anyone heard of that? If a neighbour could see the
conservatory when looking out of their window at 45 degrees then it was
not allowed. Could it be a local byelaw? It was applied for at the same
time as a conventional extension and I suspect something was lost in
the translation.

MBQ

John Cartmell

In article .com,
wrote:
Father in law was prevented from having a conservatory due to the "45
degree rule". Has anyone heard of that? If a neighbour could see the
conservatory when looking out of their window at 45 degrees then it was
not allowed. Could it be a local byelaw?

Oops for practically every conservatory in the country!

Power Supply Repair fernando1222 Electronics Repair 0 June 7th 05 09:18 PM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Conservatory Ridge Lighting bigbrian UK diy 9 September 25th 04 05:50 PM
GE HTS22GBMARWW Digital Controls refrig 22 cu ft.....main bord failure number #3! henrib7 Home Repair 7 June 13th 04 09:30 AM
Bob The Builder: New Episodes Recently Discovered Wendy UK diy 2 July 24th 03 02:15 PM