Dee

Default Carbon monoxide

have a CH boiler on my landing - a Potterton Flamingo 20 -30. I also have
a carbon monoxide alarm across the landing from it and just recently the
alarm has gone off a couple of times. I know the boiler is an old one but,
just off the top of your head, could it be anything simple to fix? (The
flame doesn't burn yellow by the way). At the
moment I really can't afford to have a new boiler fitted.

Also had a look at boilers in B&Q but how on earth do you know which kind to
get?

Christian McArdle

have a CH boiler on my landing - a Potterton Flamingo 20 -30. I also have
a carbon monoxide alarm across the landing from it and just recently the
alarm has gone off a couple of times.

Turn it off immediately. Whilst it may be a false alarm, you should always
take a CO alarm seriously.

I know the boiler is an old one but, just off the top of your head, could
it be anything simple to fix?

We can't possibly know from the description. You should get someone out to
look at it, really.

Christian.

Ed Sirett

On Tue, 04 Oct 2005 18:01:58 +0100, Dee wrote:

have a CH boiler on my landing - a Potterton Flamingo 20 -30. I also have
a carbon monoxide alarm across the landing from it and just recently the
alarm has gone off a couple of times. I know the boiler is an old one but,
just off the top of your head, could it be anything simple to fix? (The
flame doesn't burn yellow by the way). At the
moment I really can't afford to have a new boiler fitted.

Also had a look at boilers in B&Q but how on earth do you know which kind to
get?

This is an open flued appliance. It really does need proper and
regular maintenance if it is to remain safe enough to use.

The flue liner may have failed?
The heat exchanger may be full of soot?
The flames may not be visibly yellow but still bad enough.

Stop using it now and get someone in if you need to.

Dee

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
news
[...]

We are going to get a Ravenheat CSI Primary condensing boiler but I'm really
worried about how to get someone to fit it. Rogue Traders unfortunately
makes everyone really wary about choosing a tradesman you can trust. Whilst
I know I can get someone Corgi registered, I don't know whether he'll rip
me off saying extra work needs to be done etc. does anyone have an idea how
much replacing a boiler should cost, just for the fitting?

Terry

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
. net...
have a CH boiler on my landing - a Potterton Flamingo 20 -30. I also have
a carbon monoxide alarm across the landing from it and just recently the
alarm has gone off a couple of times.

Turn it off immediately. Whilst it may be a false alarm, you should always
take a CO alarm seriously.

I know the boiler is an old one but, just off the top of your head,
could
it be anything simple to fix?

We can't possibly know from the description. You should get someone out to
look at it, really.

Christian.

Sounds very dangerous!!!!!!!
As weather gets colder all hot water and heating appliances will work more
often?
Check your (life) insurance!
If it turns out, eventually, to be a faulty CO alarm that has to be
replaced, that's pretty cheap protection against potentially fatal
conditions.
PS. during recent hurricanes and electrical power failures one US couple
took their propane fired barbecue into their house, never opened any doors
or windows and asphyxiated themselves.

Richard Conway

Terry wrote:
[...]

Kinky!

Gas Hot Water Heater and Carbon Monoxide Amateur Home Ownership 4 August 11th 05 08:36 PM
Carbon monoxide detectors chemqueries Home Repair 24 March 25th 05 02:09 AM
Carbon Monoxide Detector F UK diy 18 February 4th 05 01:59 PM
What amount of CO2 Carbon Dioxide is reasonable in the home to maintain good health 1_Patriotic_Guy Home Repair 19 December 6th 04 01:54 AM