fred

Default Scrap metal prices

I'm about to barter some lead & block tin for some sash weights at a local
scrappie, can anyone point me to a scrap metal price guide, Google is
being most uncooperative.

Need prices for 10s of kgs for lead, block tin & cast iron (I think that's what
they made the weights from, as opposed to cast steel).
--
fred
Andrew Mawson

"fred" wrote in message ...
I'm about to barter some lead & block tin for some sash weights at a

local
scrappie, can anyone point me to a scrap metal price guide, Google

is
being most uncooperative.

Need prices for 10s of kgs for lead, block tin & cast iron (I think

that's what
they made the weights from, as opposed to cast steel).
--
fred

Fred if you want sash weights I have a pile of them and could use the
tin !

(De spam my return address)

AWEM

Chris Bacon

Andrew Mawson wrote:
"fred" wrote...
I'm about to barter some lead & block tin for some sash weights at a
local scrappie, can anyone point me to a scrap metal price guide

CI weights should not be expensive... add say £5 or at most £10 as
an admin. charge to a couple of quid, and you should be given as
many as you can carry.

Need prices for 10s of kgs for lead, block tin & cast iron (I think
that's what they made the weights from, as opposed to cast steel).

Lead, yes. Block tin, I very, very much doubt it. Lead, maybe - you
can still buy lead weights.

Price of lead at scrap merchant (holds finger in air) - £0.3/Kg?
Tin probably buys at about £6,500/1,000Kg, I'm assuming it hasn't
changed much in the last 20 years, so expect .5 of that. Cast iron?
I dunno. Say £40/tonne.

Fred if you want sash weights I have a pile of them and could use the
tin !

Heh. "tin" being a slang word for cash?
fred

In article ,
Andrew Mawson writes

"fred" wrote in message ...
I'm about to barter some lead & block tin for some sash weights at a

local
scrappie, can anyone point me to a scrap metal price guide, Google

is
being most uncooperative.

Need prices for 10s of kgs for lead, block tin & cast iron (I think

that's what
they made the weights from, as opposed to cast steel).
--
fred

Fred if you want sash weights I have a pile of them and could use the
tin !

Time is of the essence I'm afraid, going to the scrappy 10am tmrw. Just in
case tho', where are you, I'm in Glasgow. I'm looking for 3x33lb, 2x27lb &
4x24lb.
--
fred
Andrew Mawson

"fred" wrote in message ...
In article ,
Andrew Mawson writes

"fred" wrote in message ...
[...]

Couldn't be much further away - I'm in Bromley in Kent ! n'ere mind eh
!

AWEM

fred

In article , Chris Bacon
writes
Andrew Mawson wrote:
"fred" wrote...
I'm about to barter some lead & block tin for some sash weights at a
local scrappie, can anyone point me to a scrap metal price guide

CI weights should not be expensive... add say £5 or at most £10 as
an admin. charge to a couple of quid, and you should be given as
many as you can carry.

Need prices for 10s of kgs for lead, block tin & cast iron (I think
that's what they made the weights from, as opposed to cast steel).

Lead, yes. Block tin, I very, very much doubt it. Lead, maybe - you
can still buy lead weights.

Price of lead at scrap merchant (holds finger in air) - £0.3/Kg?
Tin probably buys at about £6,500/1,000Kg, I'm assuming it hasn't
changed much in the last 20 years, so expect .5 of that. Cast iron?
I dunno. Say £40/tonne.

That's useful Chris, thanks:

30kg lead £9
2.5kg block tin £8
128kg cast iron weights £5 scrap value + £10 hassle factor

Looks like pretty much a straight swap but I'll happily pay him more for
being good enough to keep them rather than melt them down. I needed a
reference point as this lot from Mighton was going to cost £180 :-!
--
fred
fred

In article , Andrew
Mawson writes

Couldn't be much further away - I'm in Bromley in Kent ! n'ere mind eh
!

Thanks for the offer tho'.
--
fred
Chris Bacon

fred wrote:
30kg lead £9
2.5kg block tin £8

I have simply no idea why you think it's "block tin", but I will
be very interested to find out - as far as I am aware this term
relates to a historical form of the mostly purified tin metal.

Why would people use tin for sash weights, when the denser lead,
or cheaper iron, was available? As I said above, I'd love to
hear more.

128kg cast iron weights £5 scrap value + £10 hassle factor

Ooooh don't quote me!

Looks like pretty much a straight swap but I'll happily pay him more for
being good enough to keep them rather than melt them down. I needed a
reference point as this lot from Mighton was going to cost £180 :-!

That is quite a lot[1]. I've a few big lumps of lead you could have
had in the garage, but you're up there, & I ain't. The Mighton ones
I ame sure are top quality, cast in an antique mould, finished in
the most traditional way, and given a final rubbing down with a
chamois-style leather made out of the soft seat-skin of a Building
Control Officer that has been boiled in his own fat for a furlong
fathom fortnight.

[1] Don't tell your scrap man about it.
fred

In article , Chris Bacon
writes
fred wrote:
30kg lead £9
2.5kg block tin £8

I have simply no idea why you think it's "block tin", but I will
be very interested to find out - as far as I am aware this term
relates to a historical form of the mostly purified tin metal.

No dear, here, have the other end of the stick :-), I _have_ scrap lead &
block tin and am looking to barter it for sash weights

Why would people use tin for sash weights, when the denser lead,
or cheaper iron, was available? As I said above, I'd love to
hear more.

Block tin was in common usage up here in gas piping around the turn of
the century, softer than lead and a bright finish when scraped, that is what
I've got here.

128kg cast iron weights £5 scrap value + £10 hassle factor

Ooooh don't quote me!

Don't worry, just wanted to check whether the CI value was 10, 50 or
100quid and will act accordingly

Looks like pretty much a straight swap but I'll happily pay him more for
being good enough to keep them rather than melt them down. I needed a
reference point as this lot from Mighton was going to cost £180 :-!

That is quite a lot[1]. I've a few big lumps of lead you could have
had in the garage, but you're up there, & I ain't. The Mighton ones
I ame sure are top quality, cast in an antique mould, finished in
the most traditional way, and given a final rubbing down with a
chamois-style leather made out of the soft seat-skin of a Building
Control Officer that has been boiled in his own fat for a furlong
fathom fortnight.

I was going to cast my own from scrap lead but time, hassle & danger are
all factors, yes I'm sure the Mighton ones will be polished to a fine lustre
but not even I have that much eye for detail on something that is that well
hidden.

[1] Don't tell your scrap man about it.

Don't worry.
--
fred
Andy Dingley

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 16:45:13 GMT, fred wrote:

Need prices for 10s of kgs for lead, block tin & cast iron

Lead all depends on what it is. Roofing lead (low alloy) is worth money,
clean linotype is worth even more to shooters. Wheel weights, plumbing
or dirty lead are barely worth the transport costs and batteries you
can't give away.

I know few scrappies who I'd trust to give me a fair price for tin (it's
obscure) . However anyone doing castings (that includes me) will give
you a much better price (if you're anywhere near Bristol or South Wales,
drop me a line).

Cast iron depends on the grade and the volume, but for domestic scrap
it's again sqrt (bugger all)

fred

In article , Andy
Dingley writes
On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 16:45:13 GMT, fred wrote:

Need prices for 10s of kgs for lead, block tin & cast iron

Lead all depends on what it is. Roofing lead (low alloy) is worth money,
clean linotype is worth even more to shooters. Wheel weights, plumbing
or dirty lead are barely worth the transport costs and batteries you
can't give away.

I know few scrappies who I'd trust to give me a fair price for tin (it's
obscure) . However anyone doing castings (that includes me) will give
you a much better price (if you're anywhere near Bristol or South Wales,
drop me a line).

Cast iron depends on the grade and the volume, but for domestic scrap
it's again sqrt (bugger all)

In the end my scrappy didn't have anything close to the sizes of sash
weights I needed but he did have a 4m length of 50mm round steel bar
(70kg) so it'll be true diy making them up.

The lead was dirty (pipe stuff) and we traded 7quid for my 20kg (~30p/kg)
against 12quid for the bar.

They swore blind the block tin was lead so I kept it, very funny as a bloke
who saw me unloading the car looked from 20 feet and said, "ah, old BT,
don't see that much any more", he had been a gas fitter of old.

Thanks for all the replies.
--
fred
Badger

Andy Dingley wrote:

Lead all depends on what it is. Roofing lead (low alloy) is worth money,
clean linotype is worth even more to shooters. Wheel weights, plumbing
or dirty lead are barely worth the transport costs and batteries you
can't give away.

Wheel weights actually are good for shooters, better than linotype in
modern high pressure guns, the extra tin makes it harder, casts truer to
size in the mould and doesn't tend to *strip* in the rifling as much so
can be driven harder/faster with less leading to clean out after, base
melting can still be as issue though....
Andy Dingley

On Sat, 01 Oct 2005 21:01:54 GMT, Badger
wrote:

Wheel weights actually are good for shooters,

They're closer to an "ideal" ball alloy, but most would rather start
with linotype (a very well-known alloy - 12% antimony, 3-4% tin) and
alloy the rest up by mixing it with pure roofing lead. Wheel weights can
have all sorts of crap in them, particularly bismuth and cadmium,

Wheel weights are OK for casting balls, but if you're trying to make
bullets, esp. Minies, then IMHO you're better off doing your own
alloying.