Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cat6 unshielded with mains power?

I've an opportunity to run mains power and CAT6 to a garden summerhouse. Can they run in the same conduit? One cable each in separate conduit? Get some shielded Cat6 and use that instead?

I already have unshielded CAT6 so would prefer to use that if possible.

Cheers
Jon
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 24 Oct 2020 03:33:14 -0700 (PDT), Jon Parker wrote:

I've an opportunity to run mains power and CAT6 to a garden summerhouse.
Can they run in the same conduit?

No.

One cable each in separate conduit?

Yes. But if you're putting in once Cat6 put in another if not three
more. They can share the same conduit. As can the mains. Cable is
cheap, installing it isn't.

Get some shielded Cat6 and use that instead?

Interference isn't the problem, CAT6 insulation isn't mains rated.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, October 24, 2020 at 11:38:16 AM UTC+1, Dave Liquorice wrote:
Yes. But if you're putting in once Cat6 put in another if not three
more. They can share the same conduit. As can the mains. Cable is
cheap, installing it isn't.

Interference isn't the problem, CAT6 insulation isn't mains rated.

Thanks Dave, perfect answer.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jon Parker wrote:

I've an opportunity to run mains power and CAT6 to a garden
summerhouse. Can they run in the same conduit? One cable each in
separate conduit? Get some shielded Cat6 and use that instead?

They can only run in the same conduit if both cables are mains voltage
rated, I've not seen any 230V cat5, but there is this

http://www.doncastercables.com/cables/17/77/EV-Ultra/Power-and-data-connectivity-combined-in-one-cable

Beware that one type has a single data pair (no use for ethernet) and
another type has four pairs.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:

http://www.doncastercables.com/cables/17/77/EV-Ultra/Power-and-data-connectivity-combined-in-one-cable

Beware that one type has a single data pair (no use for ethernet) and
another type has four pairs.

And quite surprisingly, toolsatan sell it by the metre (no conduit
required direct burial for the SWA version)

https://toolstation.com/p14259

or if you've got a conduit already, there's the hi-tuff version, except
they're out of stock

https://toolstation.com/p56272

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:

if you've got a conduit already, there's the hi-tuff version, except
they're out of stock

No, that was the single pair version, the cat5e hi-tuff is

https://toolstation.com/p66096
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/10/2020 11:38, Dave Liquorice wrote:
?

Yes. But if you're putting in once Cat6 put in another if not three
more. They can share the same conduit. As can the mains. Cable is
cheap, installing it isn't.

Switches are cheap, too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24 Oct 2020 at 11:58:18 BST, "Pancho"
wrote:

On 24/10/2020 11:38, Dave Liquorice wrote:
?

Yes. But if you're putting in once Cat6 put in another if not three
more. They can share the same conduit. As can the mains. Cable is
cheap, installing it isn't.

Switches are cheap, too.

Having more than one LAN and not wanting to use VPNs is cheap too.
--
Roger Hayter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 24 Oct 2020 11:58:18 +0100, Pancho wrote:

Yes. But if you're putting in once Cat6 put in another if not

three
more. They can share the same conduit. As can the mains. Cable is
cheap, installing it isn't.

Switches are cheap, too.

If you're thinking just bung in one cable and pop a switch on the end
yes that works, provided the single cable doesn't fail. Should it do
so you don't have a "spare" to quickly change to.

Replacement brings you straight back to where you are now, installing
from scratch. Do not expect to be able to pull a new cable through
(or the old one out) of the conduit unless it is dead straight and
you have access at any bends. You *might* be able to if you can find
a proper cable pulling lubricant but I wouldn't like to bet on it.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 24/10/2020 11:38, Dave Liquorice wrote:
?

Yes. But if you're putting in once Cat6 put in another if not three
more. They can share the same conduit. As can the mains. Cable is
cheap, installing it isn't.

Switches are cheap, too.

Having more than one LAN and not wanting to use VPNs is cheap too.

Do you mean VLAN rather than VPN? But I'm not sure I recognise the use case?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 24 Oct 2020 14:01:09 +0100, Pancho wrote:

Having more than one LAN and not wanting to use VPNs is cheap too.

Do you mean VLAN rather than VPN? But I'm not sure I recognise the use
case?

I should imagine LANs (plural) over seperate cables rather than VPNs
over a single cable.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/10/2020 13:57, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sat, 24 Oct 2020 11:58:18 +0100, Pancho wrote:

Yes. But if you're putting in once Cat6 put in another if not

three
more. They can share the same conduit. As can the mains. Cable is
cheap, installing it isn't.

Switches are cheap, too.

If you're thinking just bung in one cable and pop a switch on the end
yes that works, provided the single cable doesn't fail. Should it do
so you don't have a "spare" to quickly change to.

Replacement brings you straight back to where you are now, installing
from scratch. Do not expect to be able to pull a new cable through
(or the old one out) of the conduit unless it is dead straight and
you have access at any bends. You *might* be able to if you can find
a proper cable pulling lubricant but I wouldn't like to bet on it.

I recently did some cable pulling, electric ring circuit, I used talc,
it seemed to work, but I had meant to ask here if it was a good idea.

I take the point about failure, but will counter with the "you ain't
going to need it" maxim. Cables are reliable. In the future cat 6 will
probably be replaced by fibre or wifi. If I wanted to be future proof I
would ensure the conduit could have new cable pulled though it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 24/10/2020 11:38, Dave Liquorice wrote:
?
Â* Yes. But if you're putting in once Cat6 put in another if not three
Â* more. They can share the same conduit. As can the mains. Cable is
Â* cheap, installing it isn't.

Switches are cheap, too.

Having more than one LAN and not wanting to use VPNs is cheap too.

Do you mean VLAN rather than VPN? But I'm not sure I recognise the use
case?

Or even WLAN?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/10/2020 14:07, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sat, 24 Oct 2020 14:01:09 +0100, Pancho wrote:

Having more than one LAN and not wanting to use VPNs is cheap too.

Do you mean VLAN rather than VPN? But I'm not sure I recognise the use
case?

I should imagine LANs (plural) over seperate cables rather than VPNs
over a single cable.

Yes, a VLAN is a work around when you only have one cable and want
subnet separation (or whatever the proper term is for ensuring no route
between the subnets).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 24/10/2020 11:38, Dave Liquorice wrote:
?

Yes. But if you're putting in once Cat6 put in another if not three
more. They can share the same conduit. As can the mains. Cable is
cheap, installing it isn't.

Switches are cheap, too.

Having more than one LAN and not wanting to use VPNs is cheap too.

Do you mean VLAN rather than VPN? But I'm not sure I recognise the use case?

Yes I mean VLAN and I can't afford switches that support it, let alone the
time to configure them. It's not my use case, but a good one would be to
isolate IoT members.

--
Roger Hayter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24 Oct 2020 at 14:08:17 BST, "Pancho"
wrote:

[...]

In which case, use a decent sized duct, maybe 70mm, swept bends and leave some
nylon cord in it. I don't know what is in cable pulling lubricants but people
say they make a big difference, Talc is very unpopular nowadays, as it is
thought to have quite a lot of long term toxicity, but I suppose it wouldn't
matter if both ends are sealed, as they should be.

--
Roger Hayter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Hayter wrote:

I don't know what is in cable pulling lubricants but people
say they make a big difference

silicone oil, amongst other things ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/10/2020 11:53, Andy Burns wrote:
Andy Burns wrote:

http://www.doncastercables.com/cables/17/77/EV-Ultra/Power-and-data-connectivity-combined-in-one-cable

Beware that one type has a single data pair (no use for ethernet) and
another type has four pairs.

And quite surprisingly, toolsatan sell it by the metre (no conduit
required direct burial for the SWA version)

https://toolstation.com/p14259

or if you've got a conduit already, there's the hi-tuff version, except
they're out of stock

https://toolstation.com/p56272

"Branches open as normal, Including WALES" :-), Up yours Mark Drakeford
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/10/2020 11:55, Andy Burns wrote:
Andy Burns wrote:

if you've got a conduit already, there's the hi-tuff version, except
they're out of stock

No, that was the single pair version, the cat5e hi-tuff is

https://toolstation.com/p66096

"Minimum operating temperature -15C".

Could be tricky in parts of Scotland if surface mounted.

Interesting that the weight is quoted as Kilograms per
Kilometre. The voltage drop would be a bit excessive if
your garden was that long !
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Hayter wrote:
Yes I mean VLAN and I can't afford switches that support it, let alone the
time to configure them. It's not my use case, but a good one would be to
isolate IoT members.

You must be skint then:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/TL-SG108E-U.../dp/B00K4DS5KU
Config is filling in a box on a web interface.

Theo