How to fill hole in brick/block wall? Last block at top?

Old September 25th 05, 09:21 PM
David Pearson

Default How to fill hole in brick/block wall? Last block at top?

G'day.

There are various holes that I need to fix. One of them
is in my knowledge.

Hole Number 1 is in a concrete-block wall. I can see
how to start filling it up with blocks and mortar, starting
from the bottom. But how do I fill the final gap at the top?
When I push the block (or chopped-down block) into
this final hole, will this not just push the mortar through
into the cavity? Maybe it is easy, but I have not done
this or anything like it before.

Hole Number 2 is... brick-shaped and -sized, where
I pulled a lintel out of the wall. (Definitely safe in this
case, in case you are worried about me...). But I guess
the answer to Number 1 will also apply here?

Thanks very much,
D Pearson.

Old September 25th 05, 11:51 PM
The Natural Philosopher

David Pearson wrote:

G'day.

There are various holes that I need to fix. One of them
is in my knowledge.

Hole Number 1 is in a concrete-block wall. I can see
how to start filling it up with blocks and mortar, starting
from the bottom. But how do I fill the final gap at the top?
When I push the block (or chopped-down block) into
this final hole, will this not just push the mortar through
into the cavity? Maybe it is easy, but I have not done
this or anything like it before.

Hole Number 2 is... brick-shaped and -sized, where
I pulled a lintel out of the wall. (Definitely safe in this
case, in case you are worried about me...). But I guess
the answer to Number 1 will also apply here?

Thanks very much,
D Pearson.

stuff mortar in the crack. You can fill up to 6 inches with very thick
strong mortar.

Of course if you want it to match existing brickwork, its going to take
time with a bolster to cut each course in..
Old September 26th 05, 12:13 AM
[email protected]

David Pearson wrote:
G'day.

There are various holes that I need to fix. One of them
is in my knowledge.

Hole Number 1 is in a concrete-block wall. I can see
how to start filling it up with blocks and mortar, starting
from the bottom. But how do I fill the final gap at the top?
When I push the block (or chopped-down block) into
this final hole, will this not just push the mortar through
into the cavity?

to some extent yes. Then you fill up as required. Or you can lay mortat
under the block, not on top, place, then fil the top gap.

NT

Old September 26th 05, 02:28 PM
Rick

On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 19:21:40 +0000 (UTC), "David Pearson"
wrote:

G'day.

There are various holes that I need to fix. One of them
is in my knowledge.

Hole Number 1 is in a concrete-block wall. I can see
how to start filling it up with blocks and mortar, starting
from the bottom. But how do I fill the final gap at the top?
When I push the block (or chopped-down block) into
this final hole, will this not just push the mortar through
into the cavity? Maybe it is easy, but I have not done
this or anything like it before.

Hole Number 2 is... brick-shaped and -sized, where
I pulled a lintel out of the wall. (Definitely safe in this
case, in case you are worried about me...). But I guess
the answer to Number 1 will also apply here?

Thanks very much,
D Pearson.

Answer for hole 1 - say a window sized hole
I do this in stages, I build the wall neer the top, say 1 brick away,
and let be for a day. THis stops it all moving as you mess arround in
the next step.
Next put in a final row of blocks, with a ridge of mortar at the back,
the ridge does not have to be neet, let it be a day
finally push mortar tight into the last bit of gap, the bits of ridge
of mortar you left will stop the stuff pushing straight through.

Answer for hole 2 = use final 2 steps for hole 1.

Finally I reckon a pro will do this differently.

Rick

Old September 26th 05, 04:10 PM
Rob Morley

In article , news@pen-y-
geulan.com says...
snip
Answer for hole 1 - say a window sized hole
I do this in stages, I build the wall neer the top, say 1 brick away,
and let be for a day. THis stops it all moving as you mess arround in
the next step.
Next put in a final row of blocks, with a ridge of mortar at the back,
the ridge does not have to be neet, let it be a day
finally push mortar tight into the last bit of gap, the bits of ridge
of mortar you left will stop the stuff pushing straight through.

Answer for hole 2 = use final 2 steps for hole 1.

Finally I reckon a pro will do this differently.

I don't know about pros, but I've thought of maybe using a bit of UPVC
plaster bead or similar wedged around the edge of the hole to stop the
mortar from falling through the back.
Old September 26th 05, 04:24 PM
Rick

On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 15:10:39 +0100, Rob Morley
wrote:

In article , news@pen-y-
geulan.com says...
snip
Answer for hole 1 - say a window sized hole
I do this in stages, I build the wall neer the top, say 1 brick away,
and let be for a day. THis stops it all moving as you mess arround in
the next step.
Next put in a final row of blocks, with a ridge of mortar at the back,
the ridge does not have to be neet, let it be a day
finally push mortar tight into the last bit of gap, the bits of ridge
of mortar you left will stop the stuff pushing straight through.

Answer for hole 2 = use final 2 steps for hole 1.

Finally I reckon a pro will do this differently.

I don't know about pros, but I've thought of maybe using a bit of UPVC
plaster bead or similar wedged around the edge of the hole to stop the
mortar from falling through the back.

When you fill in the bulk of the hole, in the first stage I descibe,
you can use your hand - with appropriate protective gloves. The harder
bits are when you get to the top ......
Old September 27th 05, 01:35 PM
Lobster

Rick wrote:

When you fill in the bulk of the hole, in the first stage I descibe,
you can use your hand - with appropriate protective gloves. The harder
bits are when you get to the top ......

I'm always hearing how you mustn't get cement on your skin because of
potential burning - indeed, there's a nice(?) photo at
http://www.pavingexpert.com/mortars.htm! but I have to say that not once
have I experienced even any discomfort, despite years of pratting about
with wet cement on my hands, and TBH these days I never even bother
specifically trying to protect my hands from it. Is it something that
some folk are maybe more susceptible to than others?

I remember once, years ago, having to paddle through an ankle-deep
puddle of highly cementitious water in my trainers (long story), and not
having the opportunity to get cleaned up for ages afterwards, and being
quite worried about it - but nothing happened at all.

David
Old September 27th 05, 03:43 PM
Rob Morley

In article , davidlobsterpot601
@hotmail.com says...
I remember once, years ago, having to paddle through an ankle-deep
puddle of highly cementitious water in my trainers (long story), and not
having the opportunity to get cleaned up for ages afterwards, and being
quite worried about it - but nothing happened at all.

A bloke I used to work for told a story of a labourer he was working
with on a big pour who got his rigger boots full of slurry - he didn't
notice anything until he was washing his feet later and all the skin
came off.
Old September 29th 05, 09:02 PM
David Pearson

Thanks everyone, I know what to do now.

-David P.

P.S. top-posting is sometimes the best.

Old September 29th 05, 10:00 PM
Chris Bacon

David Pearson wrote:
Thanks everyone, I know what to do now.

I should hope so, and I hope it's a deep one.

-David P.

P.S. top-posting is sometimes the best.

Considering your general and obvious lack of savvy, with DIY as
well as anything else, may I take this opportunity to say that
I hope that your ludicrously inept efforts combined with your
obvious ignorance result in a catastrophe (for you) leading to
your walling-in, or the collapse of whatever hovel it is that
you may be bodging upon your pointed head.

Goodbye.