Steve Harvey

Default Help - Laying Laminate Flooring without "beading"

Hi,
I am planning to lay a new laminate floor in my living room shortly. I
have just been told by SWMBO said she does not want to have any "edge
beading" which is used to hide the expansion gaps.

What are my options in laying the floor (with skirting boards already in
place) which leave sufficient expansion gaps and also hide the edges of the
floor. I presume that I would need to cut a rebate into the fitted skirting
board... ?? If so what power tool would I need to hire ??

Thanks in advance

Steve

steveharvey [at] dsl [dot] pipex [dot] com

ben

Steve Harvey wrote:
Hi,
I am planning to lay a new laminate floor in my living room
shortly. I have just been told by SWMBO said she does not want to
have any "edge beading" which is used to hide the expansion gaps.

What are my options in laying the floor (with skirting boards
already in place) which leave sufficient expansion gaps and also hide
the edges of the floor. I presume that I would need to cut a rebate
into the fitted skirting board... ?? If so what power tool would I
need to hire ??

Thanks in advance

Steve

It would be quicker and cheaper to replace the skirting. :-)

david lang

Steve Harvey wrote:
Hi,
I am planning to lay a new laminate floor in my living room
shortly. I have just been told by SWMBO said she does not want to
have any "edge beading" which is used to hide the expansion gaps.

Hi Steve

Only two options really - edge beading or remove & replace the skirting.
Cutting a rebate would be a terrible job, almost impossible to do IMO.

Pre primed MDF skirting is fairly cheap & easy to use.

Dave

ben

david lang wrote:
Steve Harvey wrote:
Hi,
I am planning to lay a new laminate floor in my living room
shortly. I have just been told by SWMBO said she does not want to
have any "edge beading" which is used to hide the expansion gaps.

Hi Steve

Only two options really - edge beading or remove & replace the
skirting. Cutting a rebate would be a terrible job, almost impossible
to do IMO.

Pre primed MDF skirting is fairly cheap & easy to use.

Dave

A biscuit jointer would take care of the rebating, however how far off the
floor (for the rebate) it would go is another matter?

Matt

"Steve Harvey" wrote:

Hi,
I am planning to lay a new laminate floor in my living room shortly. I
have just been told by SWMBO said she does not want to have any "edge
beading" which is used to hide the expansion gaps.

What are my options in laying the floor (with skirting boards already in
place) which leave sufficient expansion gaps and also hide the edges of the
floor. I presume that I would need to cut a rebate into the fitted skirting
board... ?? If so what power tool would I need to hire ??

Build a new patio with a convenient concrete lined cavity, trade in
SWMBO for one that isn't so fussy.

Alternatively have wall to wall fitted carpets instead - laminate
floors went out of fashion a couple of years ago ;-)

John Rumm

Steve Harvey wrote:

What are my options in laying the floor (with skirting boards already in
place) which leave sufficient expansion gaps and also hide the edges of the
floor. I presume that I would need to cut a rebate into the fitted skirting
board... ?? If so what power tool would I need to hire ??

You can get cork strips that can be inserted in the gap to disguise it.
Only really works on lightish colourd floors though.

In a small room you can also get away with a much smaller expansion gap
than the 1cm normally recommended. This gap can them be sealed with
mastic or something elxe flexible.

--
Cheers,

John.

TheScullster

"Steve Harvey" said:

I am planning to lay a new laminate floor in my living room shortly. I
have just been told by SWMBO said she does not want to have any "edge
beading" which is used to hide the expansion gaps.

If you are looking for a rustic look, I've seen rope used to good effect
(laid where the bead would be).
Best budget for annual replacement due to dirt collecting though.

Phil

Bob Mannix

"TheScullster" wrote in message

"Steve Harvey" said:

I am planning to lay a new laminate floor in my living room shortly. I
have just been told by SWMBO said she does not want to have any "edge
beading" which is used to hide the expansion gaps.

If you are looking for a rustic look, I've seen rope used to good effect
(laid where the bead would be).
Best budget for annual replacement due to dirt collecting though.

Phil

There's only one way to do it properly without beading and that is to remove
the skirting board and refit. To make a neat job you always end up fitting
new back. I do have a patent method for painting the skirting board
afterwards if you are interested.The skirting will be higher but that covers
the edge where you removed it (a good thing if you are not going to
redecorate).

Bob Mannix

Mr Fizzion

"Steve Harvey" said:

I am planning to lay a new laminate floor in my living room shortly. I
have just been told by SWMBO said she does not want to have any "edge
beading" which is used to hide the expansion gaps.

If you are looking for a rustic look, I've seen rope used to good effect
(laid where the bead would be).
Best budget for annual replacement due to dirt collecting though.

Phil

There's only one way to do it properly without beading and that is to remove
the skirting board and refit. To make a neat job you always end up fitting
new back. I do have a patent method for painting the skirting board
afterwards if you are interested.The skirting will be higher but that covers
the edge where you removed it (a good thing if you are not going to
redecorate).

Bob Mannix

Removing the skirting can cause significant damage to the lower part
of the wall if it has been there a long time. I removed a section a
couple of days ago and there's no way I could refit it without a lot
of plaster or filler on bottom of the wall.

(Actually almost anything that is nailed on is hard to remove and
refit!)

Why was it that in the 50s, 60s and 70s they preferred such big
skirting?!

Mr F.

ben

"Steve Harvey" said:

[...]

If I'm replacing skirting I try to find out where the nails are by using
nitro mors and then get an idea at what distance the nails are spaced, once
found I put my smallest scarat(hole cutter), in drill then drill the
section out surrounding the nail and remove skirting this way.

6", 8" taurus looks a damn site more elegant than the 4" plain crap.

Simon

Steve Harvey wrote:
Hi,
I am planning to lay a new laminate floor in my living room shortly. I
have just been told by SWMBO said she does not want to have any "edge
beading" which is used to hide the expansion gaps.

What are my options in laying the floor (with skirting boards already in
place) which leave sufficient expansion gaps and also hide the edges of the
floor. I presume that I would need to cut a rebate into the fitted skirting
board... ?? If so what power tool would I need to hire ??

Thanks in advance

Steve

steveharvey [at] dsl [dot] pipex [dot] com

What about a flat edging strip?

http://www.flooringsupplies.co.uk/ac...=51&type=&cat=

RG

"Simon" wrote in message
ups.com...

What about a flat edging strip?

http://www.flooringsupplies.co.uk/ac...=51&type=&cat=

30mm wide? That's probably double the width of any beading you would need if
the laminate is fitted properly.

RG

Simon

RG wrote:
"Simon" wrote in message
ups.com...

What about a flat edging strip?

http://www.flooringsupplies.co.uk/ac...=51&type=&cat=

30mm wide? That's probably double the width of any beading you would need if
the laminate is fitted properly.

RG

I suppose it looks more like part of the floor than a tacked on bit of
beading...