David Chapman

Default [?] How to clean a marble headstone in a cemetery.

Hi all,

I would like to clean up a marble headstone that has been exposed to
the elements in a cemetery for the last 20 years.

Searching the 'web' has, so far, not turned up any sensible DIY
options. Most of the comments that I have read so far are statements
that marble headstones need to be removed and taken away for
professional cleaning and then refitted, all at considerable cost.

I can understand the need for professional treatment when the
headstone is VERY old and delicate, but surely there is a simpler DIY
method suitable for cleaning one that is only 20 years old. One
suggestion stated that 'Cif' was good for the job but, on the container
it specifically states that it is not suitable for use on any marble
surfaces.

Any constructive suggestions will be much appreciated.

ATB - Dave

David C.Chapman - )

Any constructive suggestions will be much appreciated.

I googled "clean marble" and came up with this address, among others:

http://doityourself.com/clean/marble.htm

Tony.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
David Chapman wrote:
I can understand the need for professional treatment when the
headstone is VERY old and delicate, but surely there is a simpler DIY
method suitable for cleaning one that is only 20 years old. One
suggestion stated that 'Cif' was good for the job but, on the container
it specifically states that it is not suitable for use on any marble
surfaces.

Any constructive suggestions will be much appreciated.

I was told to use VIM and water on a marble fireplace. Basically, you need
a fine water based abrasive.

--
*Elephants are the only mammals that can't jump *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.