DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   B&Q Performance Pro portable table saw. (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/121146-b-q-performance-pro-portable-table-saw.html)

Peter Hughes September 16th 05 10:51 PM

B&Q Performance Pro portable table saw.

Popped into the local B&Q today and found them selling their Performance
Pro 10" portable table saw for a tad under £50 (claimed £75 off). On
top of this it's a 10% discount weekend, so it seemed rather rude not to
buy one at £45.

Now I'm not expecting miracles at this price - I've bought cheap power
tools (e.g. Wickes (Silverline?) 1650 1/2" router - ha-ha!!) and wished
I hadn't, but i've got a few little jobs to do where a table saw might
be useful so here we go.

So, have I bought a donkey, or with a little careful setting up can it
be useful? Hints/ tips etc? I can already see the guide is only
clamped at one end so is not reliably exactly square, and a few test
cuts show the blade bends off vertical quite easily so it don't look too
good!!

Peter

david lang September 16th 05 11:40 PM

Peter Hughes wrote:
|| Popped into the local B&Q today and found them selling their
|| Performance Pro 10" portable table saw for a tad under £50 (claimed
|| £75 off). On top of this it's a 10% discount weekend, so it seemed
|| rather rude not to buy one at £45.

Hi Peter

If it's the one with wheels on one set of legs,
http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/produc...ODID=7 940061
it's almost certainly made by Ryobi, so it shouldn't be too bad.

Add one of these
http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.a...ile=1&jump =0

Which bizarrely will cost as much as the saw and you are in business. Can't
recommend this fence upgrade too highly - completely transformed my
Charnwood table saw.

Dave

Andy Hall September 17th 05 12:27 AM

On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 21:51:38 +0000 (UTC), Peter Hughes
wrote:

Popped into the local B&Q today and found them selling their Performance
Pro 10" portable table saw for a tad under £50 (claimed £75 off). On
top of this it's a 10% discount weekend, so it seemed rather rude not to
buy one at £45.

You would have been better off being rude.

So, have I bought a donkey, or with a little careful setting up can it
be useful? Hints/ tips etc? I can already see the guide is only
clamped at one end so is not reliably exactly square, and a few test
cuts show the blade bends off vertical quite easily so it don't look too
good!!

Peter

If there is a way to fasten the fence at both ends or replace it with
a better one, then you might be able to address that issue.

A decent blade is almost always an improvement but could cost more
than the saw.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Liam797 July 12th 20 06:44 PM

B&Q Performance Pro portable table saw.

replying to david lang, Liam797 wrote:
Hi Peter, late to the party, which after market product did you use, the link
is down. Thanks, Liam

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...aw-193391-.htm

[email protected] July 13th 20 10:10 AM

On Sunday, 12 July 2020 18:44:05 UTC+1, Liam797 wrote:
replying to david lang, Liam797 wrote:
Hi Peter, late to the party, which after market product did you use, the link
is down. Thanks, Liam

Ater 15 years I expect the model of saw is no longer sold & Peter has long gone. What do you reckon?

Dave Plowman (News) July 13th 20 02:00 PM

B&Q Performance Pro portable table saw.

In article ,
wrote:
On Sunday, 12 July 2020 18:44:05 UTC+1, Liam797 wrote:
replying to david lang, Liam797 wrote:
Hi Peter, late to the party, which after market product did you use, the link
is down. Thanks, Liam

Ater 15 years I expect the model of saw is no longer sold & Peter has long gone. What do you reckon?

Do B&Q still badge their own brand Performance Power? Not a name that
inspired confidence anyway. ;-)

--
*If at first you do succeed, try not to look too astonished.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

brian douglas January 6th 21 06:01 PM

B&Q Performance Pro portable table saw.

I have found their products pretty good.
I have recently had a loss of power and opened it up to find the box housing the on off button and reset.
Chocked with sawdust on reassembly shouldhave marked the connections
Iam reluctant to take A chance so was looking for a manual if anyone can help?
Thanks

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...aw-193391-.htm

alan_m January 6th 21 07:30 PM

On 06/01/2021 18:01, brian douglas wrote:
I have found their products pretty good.
I have recently had a loss of power and opened it up to find the box
housing the on off button and reset.
Chocked with sawdust on reassembly shouldhave marked the connections Iam
reluctant to take A chance so was looking for a manual if anyone can help?
Thanks

Another post thread dated 15 years ago!

Dave Plowman (News) January 7th 21 11:02 AM

alan_m wrote:
On 06/01/2021 18:01, brian douglas wrote:
I have found their products pretty good.
I have recently had a loss of power and opened it up to find the box
housing the on off button and reset.
Chocked with sawdust on reassembly shouldhave marked the connections Iam
reluctant to take A chance so was looking for a manual if anyone can help?
Thanks

Another post thread dated 15 years ago!

Well, yes. Must be ancient if they think B&Q PP stuff pretty good.

--
*Parenthetical remarks (however relevant) are (usually) unnecessary *