Earl Kella

Default Cleaning combi CH system

If I put the cleaning solution into the system how is the best way to
'flush' the system?

1. Pressurise and run the boiler to circulate the fluid (i.e. heating ON)
2. Just leave the cold water inlet feeding water in with a hose connected
to the drain

None of the above?

Thanks & regards

Earl

raden

In message , Earl Kella
writes
If I put the cleaning solution into the system how is the best way to
'flush' the system?

1. Pressurise and run the boiler to circulate the fluid (i.e. heating ON)
2. Just leave the cold water inlet feeding water in with a hose connected
to the drain

First get some sludge buster and run that round the system for 2-3 days
and flush the system a couple of times

Then depending if it's badly scaled or not, run some descaler through
the system

Finally flush the system well and add inhibitor to the final fill

You are likely to be doing a fair amount of bleeding radiators while
doing this

Fernox and Kamco have some useful information on their websites

--
geoff
Ed Sirett

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 19:43:19 +0100, Earl Kella wrote:

If I put the cleaning solution into the system how is the best way to
'flush' the system?

1. Pressurise and run the boiler to circulate the fluid (i.e. heating ON)
2. Just leave the cold water inlet feeding water in with a hose connected
to the drain

None of the above?

Thanks & regards

Both are useful tactics.
The best way is to remove each radiator in turn and flush with a hose in
the back yard.
The in situ flushing with mains water is pretty good at removing the
sludge at the bottom of an old rad.

I have no idea why you are attempting this and it may well be the correct
course of action. There is also the possibility that you have been told
that a problem s due to 'sludge'. You should be aware that some companies
(including national ones) have been known to suggest sludge as the default
diagnosis when they have run out of other ideas.

Earl Kella

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
news
[...]

Thanks for the replies. I was not sure if I should run the system with
cleaner or not, but I will probably just flush with cold before re-filling.

Heating system is only 2 years old and I have just had to drain it to remove
a few rads due to plastering. Before re-filling I thought I might give it a
clean through.

Only problem with trying to flush with mains water is how to get it to reach
the rads at the top of the house and not just come straight out the drain
tap at the bottom via the lower rads return feed. I think I will just
re-pressurise and then drain a few times.

Regards

Earl

raden

In message , Earl Kella
writes

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
news
[...]

2 years old ?

As long as you have some inhibitor in the system, I wouldn't have
thought you would have much as a problem

--
geoff

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Earl Kella wrote:
Thanks for the replies. I was not sure if I should run the system with
cleaner or not, but I will probably just flush with cold before
re-filling.

Heating system is only 2 years old and I have just had to drain it to
remove a few rads due to plastering. Before re-filling I thought I
might give it a clean through.

If the system has had proper inhibitor used from new and isn't leaking it
will survive for tens of years with no sludging.

For a steel rad to start corroding requires oxygen in the water, and
unless fresh water is being continually introduced there won't be any.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Ed Sirett

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 21:21:50 +0100, Earl Kella wrote:

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
news
[...]

I'm rather pleased I queried your need to clear out the system which
almost certainly will be entirely unnecessary.

You force the mains water through only one rad at a time.

Junior Member

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl Kella
If I put the cleaning solution into the system how is the best way to
'flush' the system?

1. Pressurise and run the boiler to circulate the fluid (i.e. heating ON)
2. Just leave the cold water inlet feeding water in with a hose connected
to the drain

None of the above?

Thanks & regards

Earl
News to me as I didnt think you were supposed to add inhibitor to a Combi system. Just give it the regular drain/refill.
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
ceetee wrote:
News to me as I didnt think you were supposed to add inhibitor to a
Combi system. Just give it the regular drain/refill.

'Regular' drain/refills are the last thing any central heating system
needs. Each time you introduce fresh water it is oxygenated and it's this
which causes steel to rust. Then there's also the impurities in the water
- more so in a hard water area.

Inhibiter is a must in *any* system for long life.

--
*Windows will never cease *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Ed Sirett

On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 23:18:26 +0100, ceetee wrote:

Earl Kella Wrote:
If I put the cleaning solution into the system how is the best way to
'flush' the system?

1. Pressurise and run the boiler to circulate the fluid (i.e. heating
ON)
2. Just leave the cold water inlet feeding water in with a hose
connected
to the drain

None of the above?

Thanks & regards

Earl

News to me as I didnt think you were supposed to add inhibitor to a
Combi system. Just give it the regular drain/refill.

Not only are you 'supposed' to but the instructions may even specify which
make to use.

Best way to clean and flush a combi central heating system? [email protected] UK diy 1 February 8th 05 09:23 AM
Remove radiator on a combi system Chris S UK diy 8 October 2nd 04 12:53 AM
Topping up system pressure on Ferroli combi Nigel UK diy 2 September 22nd 04 09:22 PM
Which Combi System Arthur UK diy 59 April 13th 04 08:29 PM
Convert standard HW/CH system to Combi Bolier Charlie UK diy 5 July 10th 03 04:43 PM