T i m

Default Pointing over slate dpc?

Hi All,

So, there I was ready to rig up the water saver thingy and install
Mums water butts.

I removed the old grey Marley gutter, downpipe and the brackets with
rusted in screws.

The wooden facia was ok at the bottom but a bit rough at the top so we
decided to go plastic. I had to split the old facia off as it was too
tight to the wall plate to get the sabre saw up behind it and the roof
tiles were quite 'delicate' so I didn't want to jemmy it off (it was
held on with some seriously long 'cut' nails).

Anyway, once the facia was removed I found the mortar / pointing
between the top of the bricks and wall plate was quite broken so I
raked it out and re-pointed. While I was there I raked out and
re-pointed all the loose bits I could see (and patched up some of the
spalled yellow stock bricks) but then came to the (damaged / missing)
pointing over the slate dpc.

Now, am I supposed to add a waterproofer to the mortar mix for that
area or will plain motar be ok? (this is a single 4 1/2" brick wall,
rendered on the inside and the dpc is only about 1 brick course above
the surrounding hard standing).

All the best ..

T i m

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
T i m writes:
spalled yellow stock bricks) but then came to the (damaged / missing)
pointing over the slate dpc.

Now, am I supposed to add a waterproofer to the mortar mix for that
area or will plain motar be ok? (this is a single 4 1/2" brick wall,
rendered on the inside and the dpc is only about 1 brick course above
the surrounding hard standing).

Just make sure the slate edge is exposed and not bridged by mortar.
If the slate is missing at that point, put a piece of modern damp
course in instead.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Chris Bacon

T i m wrote:
Now, am I supposed to add a waterproofer to the mortar mix for that
area or will plain motar be ok? (this is a single 4 1/2" brick wall,
rendered on the inside and the dpc is only about 1 brick course above
the surrounding hard standing).

Chuck some waterproofer in (read the instructions, it's *not*
good for your skin, and makes the mix smell of pss) and make
a wide weatherstruck joint over the DPC. If you haven't damp
problems now, the "1 course above level" isn't an issue.
T i m

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 10:09:59 +0100, Chris Bacon
wrote:

T i m wrote:
Now, am I supposed to add a waterproofer to the mortar mix for that
area or will plain motar be ok? (this is a single 4 1/2" brick wall,
rendered on the inside and the dpc is only about 1 brick course above
the surrounding hard standing).

Chuck some waterproofer in (read the instructions, it's *not*
good for your skin, and makes the mix smell of pss) and make
a wide weatherstruck joint over the DPC. If you haven't damp
problems now, the "1 course above level" isn't an issue.

Cheers Chris ..

All the best ..

T i m