Junior Member

Default Help with wiring for automatic gates

Hi,

I am just about to embark on installing some automatic gates. The mains wiring will be done by a qualified sparky.

I am going to do the rest of the wiring, this is all 24v to sensors, warning lights and control pad. The instructions suggest minimum 0.5mm 4-core cable. I have searched a number of electrical suppliers and am struggling to find cable with this spec.

Would Alarm Cable be suitable? Is this ok being installed outside?

Regards, G.
John Rumm

st-elmo wrote:

I am going to do the rest of the wiring, this is all 24v to sensors,
warning lights and control pad. The instructions suggest minimum 0.5mm
4-core cable. I have searched a number of electrical suppliers and am
struggling to find cable with this spec.

Would Alarm Cable be suitable? Is this ok being installed outside?

If you mean the thin wire telephone type of stuff, then possibly not.
The resistance tends to creep up with long lengths so it is not much cop
if you want to pass much current through it.

How about something liks:

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSea...CBBR1102&N=411

--
Cheers,

John.

Lurch

On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 12:35:33 +0100, st-elmo
scrawled:

I am going to do the rest of the wiring, this is all 24v to sensors,
warning lights and control pad. The instructions suggest minimum 0.5mm
4-core cable.

Novel, can't say as I have ever seen any wiring to gate sensors and
keypads in anything more than alarm cable, and that's for anything
from 1-100's of metres.

I have searched a number of electrical suppliers and am
struggling to find cable with this spec.

Electrical wholesalers. 3184Y flexible cable.

Would Alarm Cable be suitable? Is this ok being installed outside?

If the spec definitely says 0.5mm then alarm cable is way short of
0.5mm.
--
Stuart @ SJW Electrical

Please Reply to group
Chip

On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 21:33:24 +0100,it is alleged that Lurch
spake thusly in uk.d-i-y:

On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 12:35:33 +0100, st-elmo
scrawled:

I am going to do the rest of the wiring, this is all 24v to sensors,
warning lights and control pad. The instructions suggest minimum 0.5mm
4-core cable.

Novel, can't say as I have ever seen any wiring to gate sensors and
keypads in anything more than alarm cable, and that's for anything
from 1-100's of metres.

I have searched a number of electrical suppliers and am
struggling to find cable with this spec.

Electrical wholesalers. 3184Y flexible cable.

Would Alarm Cable be suitable? Is this ok being installed outside?

If the spec definitely says 0.5mm then alarm cable is way short of
0.5mm.

Often with these type of things they specify the diameter of the wire
rather than CSA as is more usual, telephone cable is around 0.5mm
diameter cores, however, I would (for longevity and lack of problems)
wholeheartedly endores the use of 3184Y flexible for this (or
alternatively 1.0 or 1.5mm singles in conduit, although this may be
overkill)

--
We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very
average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something