NatterJak

Default Cooker Hood Carbon Filter Life?

I've just installed a basic type of cooker hood (bought from Screwfix)
and it includes a carbon filter to allow air recirc within the room.
The documentation which came with the product is a bit sketchy and
although it says to replace the grease filter every 3 months, there's
no mention of how long the carbon filter will last.

Does anyone know what kind of lifespan I can expect? It's only going
to get domestic usage.

--
"And in the end it's not the years in your life that count. It's the
life in your years."
Andy Hall

On 24 Aug 2003 19:37:36 GMT, "NatterJak" wrote:

I've just installed a basic type of cooker hood (bought from Screwfix)
and it includes a carbon filter to allow air recirc within the room.
The documentation which came with the product is a bit sketchy and
although it says to replace the grease filter every 3 months, there's
no mention of how long the carbon filter will last.

Does anyone know what kind of lifespan I can expect? It's only going
to get domestic usage.

It really depends (as does the grease filter) on what you do.
Cooking involving fats will tend to saturate it fairly quickly.

Do you have the possibility of venting the hood outside? If it's an
exterior wall then this is fairly easy to do by making a hole and
using a ducting kit. Otherwise you can get ducting that is
rectangular in cross section and will run along the top of kitchen
cupboards.

This is well worth doing if you can because apart from saving quite a
bit on filters, the results will be much better in that it will clear
the room of water vapour as well.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
NatterJak

On 24/08/2003 at 21:19:01, Andy Hall decided to regale the world with:

On 24 Aug 2003 19:37:36 GMT, "NatterJak" wrote:

I've just installed a basic type of cooker hood (bought from

Screwfix) and it includes a carbon filter to allow air recirc within
the room. The documentation which came with the product is a bit
sketchy and although it says to replace the grease filter every 3
months, there's no mention of how long the carbon filter will last.

Does anyone know what kind of lifespan I can expect? It's only going
to get domestic usage.

It really depends (as does the grease filter) on what you do.
Cooking involving fats will tend to saturate it fairly quickly.

Do you have the possibility of venting the hood outside?

It's feasible technically, I mean there is an outside wall immediately
adjacent, but I'm in a shared block of flats (leasehold) and I don't
think I'm allowed to just go hacking lumps out of the walls.

--
"And in the end it's not the years in your life that count. It's the
life in your years."
Andy Hall

On 24 Aug 2003 20:28:01 GMT, "NatterJak" wrote:

[...]

You might be allowed if you get agreement from the freeholder or
agent.... It would depend on the lease terms and conditions.

There are cases where this is inevitable. For example, let's say a
boiler replacement were required. This would almost certainly
require some wall surgery because an originally fitted model may no
longer be available.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
NatterJak

On 24/08/2003 at 21:59:14, Andy Hall typed:

On 24 Aug 2003 20:28:01 GMT, "NatterJak" wrote:

snip
It's feasible technically, I mean there is an outside wall

immediately adjacent, but I'm in a shared block of flats (leasehold)
and I don't think I'm allowed to just go hacking lumps out of the
walls.

You might be allowed if you get agreement from the freeholder or
agent.... It would depend on the lease terms and conditions.

True, I think the answer would be no though..

There are cases where this is inevitable. For example, let's say a
boiler replacement were required. This would almost certainly
require some wall surgery because an originally fitted model may no
longer be available.

All electric here.

The performance on recirc isn't bad though, I've been cooking curry all
day (for freezing in batches) and the pong isn't *too* bad.

--
"And in the end it's not the years in your life that count. It's the
life in your years."

Posted with Xananews version 1.15.6.1