MM

Default How does one use a carpet washer?

I'm thinking of getting a VAX or Bissel. Is the appliance simply
rolled across the carpet (this is wall-to-wall fitted carpet), as if
mowing the lawn? Or does one continually go over the same strip
several times? Is there a "Techniques" page anywhere?

Oh, and how much more effective is it with a machine than doing it by
hand with 1001 foam? I assume, a great deal more effective, otherwise
the high price of these appliances wouldn't be justified.

MM
--s-p-o-n-i-x--

On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 18:11:49 +0100, MM wrote:

I'm thinking of getting a VAX or Bissel. Is the appliance simply
rolled across the carpet (this is wall-to-wall fitted carpet), as if
mowing the lawn? Or does one continually go over the same strip
several times? Is there a "Techniques" page anywhere?

It's basically like hoovering. If there are persistent stains then you
may need to go over them more than once.

FWIW, I wouldn't recomment a vax or bisel but one of the Numatic
offerings for best results at a budget price.

Oh, and how much more effective is it with a machine than doing it by
hand with 1001 foam? I assume, a great deal more effective, otherwise
the high price of these appliances wouldn't be justified.

DO NOT use 1001 foam (Or similar) as they leave residue behind which
simply encourages dirt build up. A proper hot water extraction machine
will leave the carpet perfectly clean.

sponix

When I did mine, I rented one of the "carpet doctor" machines from Focus.

It was certainly very easy, just like mowing the lawn. And I believe it had
a hose with attachments for awkward corners.

Also, i'd try and get them done early in the morning on a nice day and make
sure you can leave the windows open to get the carpet properly dry,
otherwise you'll have a damp smell for some time.

Unless you plan on doing a lot, I'd just rent one.

HTH

John Cartmell

In article ,
MM wrote:
I'm thinking of getting a VAX or Bissel. Is the appliance simply
rolled across the carpet (this is wall-to-wall fitted carpet), as if
mowing the lawn? Or does one continually go over the same strip
several times? Is there a "Techniques" page anywhere?

Oh, and how much more effective is it with a machine than doing it by
hand with 1001 foam? I assume, a great deal more effective, otherwise
the high price of these appliances wouldn't be justified.

They suck up the mucky water so you can put more water down in the first
place.
They work faster than when you do it on hands & knees and so the water can be
hotter.
They keep mucky and clean water separate.
You can clean carpets faster with them and you can destroy carpets faster.
And don't do rugs on top of laminate flooring.

MM

--s-p-o-n-i-x-- wrote:
On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 18:11:49 +0100, MM wrote:

I'm thinking of getting a VAX or Bissel. Is the appliance simply
rolled across the carpet (this is wall-to-wall fitted carpet), as if
mowing the lawn? Or does one continually go over the same strip
several times? Is there a "Techniques" page anywhere?

It's basically like hoovering. If there are persistent stains then you
may need to go over them more than once.

FWIW, I wouldn't recomment a vax or bisel but one of the Numatic
offerings for best results at a budget price.

I had a look at the Numatic web site, but it gives a very poor overview
of what they offer, which seems to be mainly industrial machines. Did
you have a particular model in mind? I never found a specific
applicance that appeared to compete directly with the VAX.

MM

Chris Bacon

MM wrote:
I had a look at the Numatic web site, but it gives a very poor overview
of what they offer, which seems to be mainly industrial machines. Did
you have a particular model in mind? I never found a specific
applicance that appeared to compete directly with the VAX.

You want a George, you do.
MM

On Tue, 06 Sep 2005 10:41:58 +0100, Chris Bacon
wrote:

MM wrote:
I had a look at the Numatic web site, but it gives a very poor overview
of what they offer, which seems to be mainly industrial machines. Did
you have a particular model in mind? I never found a specific
applicance that appeared to compete directly with the VAX.

You want a George, you do.

Isn't that just a vacuum cleaner than can also suck up wet stuff?

By the way, I noticed that my local Co-op yesterday was selling the
Bissel QuickWash at £79.99, or *twenty quid* under the Argos price!
The Russel Hobbs toaster I bought at £19.99 also undercut Argos by
around £3.

MM
Chris Bacon

MM wrote:
Chris Bacon wrote:
MM wrote:
I had a look at the Numatic web site, but it gives a very poor overview
of what they offer, which seems to be mainly industrial machines. Did
you have a particular model in mind? I never found a specific
applicance that appeared to compete directly with the VAX.

You want a George, you do.

Isn't that just a vacuum cleaner than can also suck up wet stuff?

http://www.chemiclean.co.uk/George.htm

and others - Google "numatic george carpet clean".

MM wrote:
I'm thinking of getting a VAX or Bissel.

Vax! V-027 =A3150 does everything below

Is the appliance simply
rolled across the carpet (this is wall-to-wall fitted carpet), as if
mowing the lawn? Or does one continually go over the same strip
several times? Is there a "Techniques" page anywhere?

Oh, and how much more effective is it with a machine than doing it by
hand with 1001 foam? I assume, a great deal more effective,

dramatically so. have tried both, theres no comparison.

key features to look for a
pumped liquid delivery, not gravity feed
twin contrarotating rollers
hand tool for doing edges, harder to reach areas, upholstery etc

otherwise
the high price of these appliances wouldn't be justified.

NT

Dave

wrote:

MM wrote:

I had a look at the Numatic web site, but it gives a very poor overview
of what they offer, which seems to be mainly industrial machines. Did
you have a particular model in mind? I never found a specific
applicance that appeared to compete directly with the VAX.

You want a George, you do.

Isn't that just a vacuum cleaner than can also suck up wet stuff?

Not quite. A George has a pump to spray the hot water extraction liquid
into the carpet. You move the vacuum end towards you as you squeeze the
trigger to get the water/shampoo onto the carpet.

Basically, water and shampoo is pressure sprayed into the carpet pile
and is immediately sucked out. This means that you end up with a damp
carpet, rather than a wet one.

Dave