John

Default Sanding floorboards - Drum Sander and or Edge Sander

I am after a bit of advice. I have the floorboards in one room to sand
down before varnishing. The room is about 4m square. I was going to
hire a Drum Sander but I have heard some bad stories aboout using one.
I was going to use it with an Edge Sander but it has been suggested
that I only use the Edge Sander.

Is this a reasonable idea

How much easier is it to use the Edge Sander

What would the difference be in finish between the two sanders

How much longer would it take just using the Edge Sander

Any other comments (apart from the differnece in cost)
Michael Mcneil

"John" wrote in message

I am after a bit of advice. I have the floorboards in one room to sand
down before varnishing. The room is about 4m square.

That is a small room and a floor sander will be difficult to control. If
it is 4 x 4 metres then a drum sander will be a time saver; if
expensive.
You might buy a belt sander for that cost of hiring a drum sander
though.

Before doing either, get some Nitromorse and test the floor with it.
After scrubbing it up with Nitromorse and wire-wool -if it brings it up
anything like I imagine it will, it will be a lot less work.

But then you have the problem of clearing up the chemicals afterwards.

Andy

"Michael Mcneil" wrote in message
news:24aa089b1c0d427e65799b3f6b3299b2.45219@mygate .mailgate.org...
"John" wrote in message

I am after a bit of advice. I have the floorboards in one room to sand
down before varnishing. The room is about 4m square.

What have you been told about a drum sander? The only thing I found you had
to be careful about was to tilt the handle down as you came to the end of a
sweep, so lifting the drum away from the floor, otherwise you get a scoop
taken out of the floorboards. I didn't find that it was a difficult action
coordinate. The edge sander was the one to look out for, any indecision
with it left a scoop out of your boards in an arc shape. You have to keep
these
things moving at a constant speed so long as they are touching the floor.

Andy.

david lang

John wrote:
I am after a bit of advice. I have the floorboards in one room to sand
down before varnishing. The room is about 4m square.

Hi John

If it's that small maybe a proper floor sander will be too big. You could
buy a cheapo belt sander to do the job. If you buy from one of the sheds,
even if it broke down during the jon it wouldn't matter, just take it back &
get a new one.

A cheapo random orbit sander might be the ideal tool fitted with the right
grit paper - easier to control.

You can pick either up for less than a days hire on a big floor sander.

Dave

John

Sorry
The room is 4m x 4m

On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 21:37:50 GMT, "david lang"
wrote:

John wrote:
I am after a bit of advice. I have the floorboards in one room to sand
down before varnishing. The room is about 4m square.

Hi John

If it's that small maybe a proper floor sander will be too big. You could
buy a cheapo belt sander to do the job. If you buy from one of the sheds,
even if it broke down during the jon it wouldn't matter, just take it back &
get a new one.

A cheapo random orbit sander might be the ideal tool fitted with the right
grit paper - easier to control.

You can pick either up for less than a days hire on a big floor sander.

Dave

Rembrandt Kuipers

John wrote:
I am after a bit of advice. I have the floorboards in one room to sand
down before varnishing. The room is about 4m square. I was going to
hire a Drum Sander but I have heard some bad stories aboout using one.
I was going to use it with an Edge Sander but it has been suggested
that I only use the Edge Sander.

Do you mean the that room is 4m x 4m (IOW 16 sq m), or that the floor
area is 4 square metres (for example a 2m x 2m room)?

I am interested in the answer too this too, but I want to make sure the
answers are answering the right question.

I have a 3x3 room, that has a large opening to a 3x4 room, that also
joins onto a corridor of about 3x1. (All dimensions in meters.)
Essentially the floor to be sanded is approximately 6x4, but has some
walls in the way. There are a few other bits too. I have been presuming
that I should hire both a drum and edge sander for a weekend, Jewson's
does a reduced rate for both. (Is there a better place to hire from?)

Rem
david lang

John wrote:
Sorry
The room is 4m x 4m

Forget what I said, go hire a proper floor sander & edger.

Dave

Henry

"david lang" wrote in message
. ..
John wrote:
Sorry
The room is 4m x 4m

Forget what I said, go hire a proper floor sander & edger.

Yeah me too don't **** about :-)

Henry

Weatherlawyer

Henry wrote:
"Rob Morley" wrote in message
t...

Why does there seem to be so much confusion about the difference between
"metres square" and "square metres"? On the planet that I inhabit "4m
square" is a square 4m on each side, and "4 square metres" is the same
area as a square 2m on each side.

You're ****ed Nicky!, do you have one of these just the same except full?

Chemically induced mistakes about who to blame for the uncertainty
principle of dealing with amateurs?

Tell him to pys off.