John

Default Pilot light gas consumption?

Out of curiosity I calculated how much gas my boiler pilot light
consumed and took a meter reading at 9pm and again at exactly 9pm the
next day. The heating & water have been off all that time with just the
boiler pilot light lit. I included the 2 red decimal numbers in the
meter readings and in 24hrs it had used 0.18 unit, which over a year is
65.70 units. If my sums are correct (Calorific Value of 39.4) I work
that out to be around 2081kWh. Is that amount of consumption about
right for a pilot light? On 2p per kwh that would be around £41 a year.
The boiler is a Potterton Prima B about 6 years old.

Ben Blaukopf

John wrote:
Out of curiosity I calculated how much gas my boiler pilot light
consumed and took a meter reading at 9pm and again at exactly 9pm the
next day. The heating & water have been off all that time with just the
boiler pilot light lit. I included the 2 red decimal numbers in the
meter readings and in 24hrs it had used 0.18 unit, which over a year is
65.70 units. If my sums are correct (Calorific Value of 39.4) I work
that out to be around 2081kWh. Is that amount of consumption about
right for a pilot light? On 2p per kwh that would be around £41 a year.
The boiler is a Potterton Prima B about 6 years old.

http://www.jobnut.co.uk/services/uti...ectricity.html

says 3-5/month, so it sounds like you're bang on.

Ben
mrcheerful

"John" wrote in message
Out of curiosity I calculated how much gas my boiler pilot light consumed
and took a meter reading at 9pm and again at exactly 9pm the next day. The
heating & water have been off all that time with just the boiler pilot
light lit. I included the 2 red decimal numbers in the meter readings and
in 24hrs it had used 0.18 unit, which over a year is 65.70 units. If my
sums are correct (Calorific Value of 39.4) I work that out to be around
2081kWh. Is that amount of consumption about right for a pilot light? On
2p per kwh that would be around £41 a year. The boiler is a Potterton
Prima B about 6 years old.

Some friends of mine had their gas meter run out of money on a regular basis
(and electric) The meter let through enough gas for a pilot light. They
always had a kettle over the pilot light on the stove or a pan of stew, they
lived like that for years, so yes even a tiny flame is a significant number
of btus per year.

mrcheerful

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
John wrote:
Out of curiosity I calculated how much gas my boiler pilot light
consumed and took a meter reading at 9pm and again at exactly 9pm the
next day. The heating & water have been off all that time with just the
boiler pilot light lit. I included the 2 red decimal numbers in the
meter readings and in 24hrs it had used 0.18 unit, which over a year is
65.70 units. If my sums are correct (Calorific Value of 39.4) I work
that out to be around 2081kWh. Is that amount of consumption about
right for a pilot light? On 2p per kwh that would be around £41 a year.
The boiler is a Potterton Prima B about 6 years old.

Remember not all that energy is wasted unless you never use the boiler.
Some of it will go towards keeping the heat exchanger warm, and in cold
weather help to heat the room.

--
*How about "never"? Is "never" good for you?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Bob Eager

On Thu, 1 Sep 2005 11:04:28 UTC, Ben Blaukopf
wrote:

John wrote:
Out of curiosity I calculated how much gas my boiler pilot light
consumed and took a meter reading at 9pm and again at exactly 9pm the
next day. The heating & water have been off all that time with just the
boiler pilot light lit. I included the 2 red decimal numbers in the
meter readings and in 24hrs it had used 0.18 unit, which over a year is
65.70 units. If my sums are correct (Calorific Value of 39.4) I work
that out to be around 2081kWh. Is that amount of consumption about
right for a pilot light? On 2p per kwh that would be around œ41 a year.
The boiler is a Potterton Prima B about 6 years old.

http://www.jobnut.co.uk/services/uti...ectricity.html

It may be old and due for replacement, but there's something to be said
for a Netaheat!

http://laminateflooring.oncloud8.com

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Bob Eager wrote:
The boiler is a Potterton Prima B about 6 years old.

It may be old and due for replacement, but there's something to be said
for a Netaheat!

I'm surprised to find any boiler this recent using a permanent pilot light.

--
*Does fuzzy logic tickle? *

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
that out to be around 2081kWh. Is that amount of consumption about
right for a pilot light? On 2p per kwh that would be around =A341 a yea=

r=2E
The boiler is a Potterton Prima B about 6 years old.

Remember not all that energy is wasted unless you never use the boiler.
Some of it will go towards keeping the heat exchanger warm, and in cold
weather help to heat the room.

The same is true of all the "wasted" energy from all those filament
light bulbs, TV and video left on standby, wall warts left plugged in
and switched on, etc, etc. If you really want to save energy, turn the
thermostat down or wear an extra layer of clothing.

MBQ

Ed Sirett

On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 12:04:28 +0100, Ben Blaukopf wrote:

John wrote:
Out of curiosity I calculated how much gas my boiler pilot light
consumed and took a meter reading at 9pm and again at exactly 9pm the
next day. The heating & water have been off all that time with just the
boiler pilot light lit. I included the 2 red decimal numbers in the
meter readings and in 24hrs it had used 0.18 unit, which over a year is
65.70 units. If my sums are correct (Calorific Value of 39.4) I work
that out to be around 2081kWh. Is that amount of consumption about
right for a pilot light? On 2p per kwh that would be around £41 a year.
The boiler is a Potterton Prima B about 6 years old.

http://www.jobnut.co.uk/services/uti...ectricity.html

says 3-5/month, so it sounds like you're bang on.

around 240W - plausible.

Ed Sirett

On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 13:34:02 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
John wrote:
Out of curiosity I calculated how much gas my boiler pilot light
consumed and took a meter reading at 9pm and again at exactly 9pm the
next day. The heating & water have been off all that time with just the
boiler pilot light lit. I included the 2 red decimal numbers in the
meter readings and in 24hrs it had used 0.18 unit, which over a year is
65.70 units. If my sums are correct (Calorific Value of 39.4) I work
that out to be around 2081kWh. Is that amount of consumption about
right for a pilot light? On 2p per kwh that would be around £41 a year.
The boiler is a Potterton Prima B about 6 years old.

Remember not all that energy is wasted unless you never use the boiler.
Some of it will go towards keeping the heat exchanger warm, and in cold
weather help to heat the room.

I reckon on this being allowed for in comparisons. The 'book' figure for a
permanent pilot is a -5% on the SEDBUK rating of the boiler.

raden

In message , Bob Eager
writes
wrote:

John wrote:
Out of curiosity I calculated how much gas my boiler pilot light
consumed and took a meter reading at 9pm and again at exactly 9pm the
next day. The heating & water have been off all that time with just the
boiler pilot light lit. I included the 2 red decimal numbers in the
meter readings and in 24hrs it had used 0.18 unit, which over a year is
65.70 units. If my sums are correct (Calorific Value of 39.4) I work
that out to be around 2081kWh. Is that amount of consumption about
right for a pilot light? On 2p per kwh that would be around Å“41 a year.
The boiler is a Potterton Prima B about 6 years old.

http://www.jobnut.co.uk/services/uti...ectricity.html

It may be old and due for replacement, but there's something to be said
for a Netaheat!

The Prima does have an electronic ignition version too

(it uses the same control as the Profile)

--
geoff
raden

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article ,
Bob Eager wrote:
The boiler is a Potterton Prima B about 6 years old.

It may be old and due for replacement, but there's something to be said
for a Netaheat!

I'm surprised to find any boiler this recent using a permanent pilot light.

The Potterton Puma (which is also not so long in the tooth) has a PP as
well as an electronic version

--
geoff
John

news

John wrote:
that out to be around 2081kWh. Is that amount of consumption about
right for a pilot light? On 2p per kwh that would be around £41 a
year.
The boiler is a Potterton Prima B about 6 years old.

http://www.jobnut.co.uk/services/uti...ectricity.html

says 3-5/month, so it sounds like you're bang on.

around 240W - plausible.

Well I'm due a boiler service soon so I'll ask them to give the pilot
light a good once over and to check that the flame is within the
manufacturers spec. That might save me a fiver a year which I can put
towards a litre of petrol

Pete C

On Thu, 1 Sep 2005 11:26:59 +0100, "John"
wrote:

Out of curiosity I calculated how much gas my boiler pilot light
consumed and took a meter reading at 9pm and again at exactly 9pm the
next day. The heating & water have been off all that time with just the
boiler pilot light lit. I included the 2 red decimal numbers in the
meter readings and in 24hrs it had used 0.18 unit, which over a year is
65.70 units. If my sums are correct (Calorific Value of 39.4) I work
that out to be around 2081kWh. Is that amount of consumption about
right for a pilot light? On 2p per kwh that would be around £41 a year.
The boiler is a Potterton Prima B about 6 years old.

Over 15 years that could pay for a condensing boiler....

cheers,
Pete.
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Pete C wrote:
Out of curiosity I calculated how much gas my boiler pilot light
consumed and took a meter reading at 9pm and again at exactly 9pm the
next day. The heating & water have been off all that time with just the
boiler pilot light lit. I included the 2 red decimal numbers in the
meter readings and in 24hrs it had used 0.18 unit, which over a year is
65.70 units. If my sums are correct (Calorific Value of 39.4) I work
that out to be around 2081kWh. Is that amount of consumption about
right for a pilot light? On 2p per kwh that would be around £41 a year.
The boiler is a Potterton Prima B about 6 years old.

Over 15 years that could pay for a condensing boiler....

But the calculation is flawed by making it at this time of the year with
the boiler not in use. For the 6 months or so of the year when the heating
is needed - or it's used for just heating hot water - all that energy
won't be wasted. There's probably a diversity calculation that takes this
into account.

--
*Wrinkled was not one of the things I wanted to be when I grew up

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

John

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message

But the calculation is flawed by making it at this time of the year
with
the boiler not in use. For the 6 months or so of the year when the
heating
is needed - or it's used for just heating hot water - all that energy
won't be wasted. There's probably a diversity calculation that takes
this
into account.

Ah, so during the time the boiler is in use the pilot light will be
going towards heating the boiler and not wasted. Now I feel a whole lot
better, cheers.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
John wrote:
But the calculation is flawed by making it at this time of the year
with the boiler not in use. For the 6 months or so of the year when
the heating is needed - or it's used for just heating hot water - all
that energy won't be wasted. There's probably a diversity calculation
that takes this into account.

Ah, so during the time the boiler is in use the pilot light will be
going towards heating the boiler and not wasted. Now I feel a whole lot
better, cheers.

Even when the boiler isn't actually firing, some of the energy from the
pilot light will help keep the water inside it warm for when it next does.

However, it's a less than ideal device. Obviously, some means of lighting
the boiler on demand should be better. Assuming it has a long life and
doesn't cost more in replacements than the energy it saves. ;-)

My real point is that some adverts quote the sort of figures you did and
suggest you'll get those savings without one. Drivel would be proud of
them.

--
*Why is the man who invests all your money called a broker? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Pete C

On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 15:00:08 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Pete C wrote:
[...]

What happens when the pump is running but the boiler isn't firing on
an old style boiler, I'd have thought there are convection losses up
the flue? Maybe worth another condensing boiler over 15 years...

cheers,
Pete.

Ed Sirett

On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 19:54:09 +0100, Pete C wrote:

On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 15:00:08 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Pete C wrote:
[...]

For sure. This is the biggest _single_ item in the older designs that
impacts efficiency.

Doctor Drivel

Dave Plowman (News) through a haze of senile flatulence wrote:
In article ,
Pete C wrote:

Out of curiosity I calculated how much gas my boiler pilot light
consumed and took a meter reading at 9pm and again at exactly 9pm the
next day. The heating & water have been off all that time with just the
boiler pilot light lit. I included the 2 red decimal numbers in the
meter readings and in 24hrs it had used 0.18 unit, which over a year is
65.70 units. If my sums are correct (Calorific Value of 39.4) I work
that out to be around 2081kWh. Is that amount of consumption about
right for a pilot light? On 2p per kwh that would be around £41 a year.
The boiler is a Potterton Prima B about 6 years old.

Over 15 years that could pay for a condensing boiler....

Yep.

But the calculation is flawed by making it at this time of the year with
the boiler not in use. For the 6 months or so of the year when the heating
is needed - or it's used for just heating hot water - all that energy
won't be wasted. There's probably a diversity calculation that takes this
into account.

8760 hours in a year. A boiler is firing for about 10% of that time, if
that. So, 90% of the time the pilot is not needed and a waste heating the
outside, and adds nothing. So, £37 per year for 10 years is £370, probably
a lot more as gas goes up in price. Which more than pays for a condensing
boiler. Anyway you have to fit condensers anyway.

Junior Member

Is it possible to convert a satanding pilot to an electronic type?
John

"jackpona" wrote in message

Is it possible to convert a satanding pilot to an electronic type?

Yes but without design approval and testing its illegal