yitzak

Default Acrylic paint

Having some new sash windows being put in - the fitter is priming them
with an acrylic primer. Never heard of this paint which drys very fast
- hence the interest.

I'm interested if it exists; an equivalent Acrylic top coat similar in
ware and durabilty to gloss.

I will paint the rest of the windows - exposed wood in undercoat &
gloss. But would like to use a quick drying paint to paint the box
frame where the slash windows slide so the window can be closed
a.s.a.p. Must be completely dry before I slide windows over freshly
painted wood. Gloss takes 16hrs for this

Frank Erskine

On 30 Aug 2005 07:35:09 -0700, "yitzak"
wrote:

Having some new sash windows being put in - the fitter is priming them
with an acrylic primer. Never heard of this paint which drys very fast
- hence the interest.

I'm interested if it exists; an equivalent Acrylic top coat similar in
ware and durabilty to gloss.

I will paint the rest of the windows - exposed wood in undercoat &
gloss. But would like to use a quick drying paint to paint the box
frame where the slash windows slide so the window can be closed
a.s.a.p. Must be completely dry before I slide windows over freshly
painted wood. Gloss takes 16hrs for this

I was once told by an old joiner that it's traditional to use only
primer for sash window "runners".

--
Frank Erskine
yitzak

See your point - not sticking - but esp near the bottom you need a
wipeable surface - otherwise primer goes grey with dust.

Peter Johnson

wrote:

Having some new sash windows being put in - the fitter is priming them
with an acrylic primer. Never heard of this paint which drys very fast
- hence the interest.

I'm interested if it exists; an equivalent Acrylic top coat similar in
ware and durabilty to gloss.

Acrylic gloss is only fit for interior use at present. Decorators like
the acrylic undercoat (or often acrylic primer undercoat) because it
means they can get two coats (undercoat and gloss) applied in a day
and the gloss can dry overnight.
RedOnRed

"yitzak" wrote in message
oups.com...
Having some new sash windows being put in - the fitter is priming them
with an acrylic primer. Never heard of this paint which drys very fast
- hence the interest.

I'm interested if it exists; an equivalent Acrylic top coat similar in
ware and durabilty to gloss.

I will paint the rest of the windows - exposed wood in undercoat &
gloss. But would like to use a quick drying paint to paint the box
frame where the slash windows slide so the window can be closed
a.s.a.p. Must be completely dry before I slide windows over freshly
painted wood. Gloss takes 16hrs for this

Just pop down to your local decorators merchant. Not your local large DIY
B&Q place.

If it's any thing like our local one it will have every brand of paint,
stain etc on earth - no matter how obscure.

Stuart Noble

Peter Johnson wrote:

Acrylic gloss is only fit for interior use at present. Decorators like
the acrylic undercoat (or often acrylic primer undercoat) because it
means they can get two coats (undercoat and gloss) applied in a day
and the gloss can dry overnight.

Most of the sheds do acrylic gloss branded as Stay White or somesuch.
A nasty synthetic shine, not unlike a plastic bag, with virtually zero
resistance to wear and bad adhesion to surfaces that aren't perfect.
However, it doesn't yellow with age and looks fine from a distance so is
ideal for stuff you need a ladder to get to.
I use acrylic undercoat all the time but usually topcoat with oil based
gloss. The only way you can tell the products apart on the shelf now is
the "quick drying" label, oh and the price.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

yitzak wrote:

Having some new sash windows being put in - the fitter is priming them
with an acrylic primer. Never heard of this paint which drys very fast
- hence the interest.

I'm interested if it exists; an equivalent Acrylic top coat similar in
ware and durabilty to gloss.

I will paint the rest of the windows - exposed wood in undercoat &
gloss. But would like to use a quick drying paint to paint the box
frame where the slash windows slide so the window can be closed
a.s.a.p. Must be completely dry before I slide windows over freshly
painted wood. Gloss takes 16hrs for this

I am considering using white acrylic eggshell for interior doors and
staircase.
Are there any advantages or disadvantages over an oil based eggshell
paint?

Regards
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I am considering using white acrylic eggshell for interior doors and
staircase.
Are there any advantages or disadvantages over an oil based eggshell
paint?

Advantages (of water based acrylic):

Easier to paint (opinions do vary, however)
Environmentally friendlier
Does not yellow with age
Does not stink
Fewer nasty chemicals

Disadvantages:

Less hard wearing
Less easy to clean

I always use water based acrylic myself, as the environmental aspect is of
high importance to me.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"newman" wrote in message
yitzak wrote:

Having some new sash windows being put in - the fitter is priming them
with an acrylic primer. Never heard of this paint which drys very fast
- hence the interest.

I'm interested if it exists; an equivalent Acrylic top coat similar in
ware and durabilty to gloss.

I will paint the rest of the windows - exposed wood in undercoat &
gloss. But would like to use a quick drying paint to paint the box
frame where the slash windows slide so the window can be closed
a.s.a.p. Must be completely dry before I slide windows over freshly
painted wood. Gloss takes 16hrs for this

I am considering using white acrylic eggshell for interior doors and
staircase.
Are there any advantages or disadvantages over an oil based eggshell
paint?

I heard somewhere that within a few years all paint will be water based,
even the likes of hammerite.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Christian McArdle wrote:
I am considering using white acrylic eggshell for interior doors and
staircase.
Are there any advantages or disadvantages over an oil based eggshell
paint?

Advantages (of water based acrylic):

Easier to paint (opinions do vary, however)
Environmentally friendlier
Does not yellow with age
Does not stink
Fewer nasty chemicals

Disadvantages:

Less hard wearing
Less easy to clean

I always use water based acrylic myself, as the environmental aspect is of
high importance to me.

I like it too (and TBH I'm not particularly fussed about the eco-aspect
I'm afraid). I'd add:

Advantages:
Easier to clean up equipment/spills/overpainting and easier to stay
clean while painting!
Dries very quickly

Disadvantages:
Pretty expensive compared with oil-based.

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Scabbydug wrote:
"newman" wrote in message
yitzak wrote:
[...]

Emulsion technology has a long way to go before they'll be a match for
solvent based paints. The resins exist but they need a controlled
environment to cure, restricting their use mainly to industry.
IIRC some car manufacturers use water based paints.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from "Christian McArdle" contains
these words:

Advantages (of water based acrylic):

Easier to paint (opinions do vary, however)
Environmentally friendlier
Does not yellow with age
Does not stink
Fewer nasty chemicals