NickP

Default How to dispose of contents of a dead freezer?

Returned home last night from 3 weeks away to a putrid smell in the garage.
Looks & smells like our old old chest freezer has gone the way of all
things. Fan still working but the exterior is warm to the touch. I haven't
dared lift the lid yet.
It's a fairly large & old freezer (external dimensions approx. 2x1x1m).
Don't know the capacity but I do know it is filled to the brim with mainly
fish, some meat and veggies.

My garage is otherwise fairly clear with the exception of gardening tools
and DIY bits and pieces.
No signs of any dead creatures, and I have looked.

So it looks like I am facing the prospect of disposing of say .75 cu.m. of
very smelly stuff.

Any ideas please? I don't think the binmen will welcome it even if well
bagged in bin liners, and they collect on Fridays hereabouts.

Thanks

Nick P

Michael Mcneil

"NickP" wrote in message

So it looks like I am facing the prospect of disposing of say
.75 cu.m. of very smelly stuff.

******* trench your veggie plot for potatoes or buy half a dozen point
of lay pullets and shallow bury their first few weeks feed in the lawn.

TonyK

"NickP" wrote in message
[...]

Double bag it, ties the tops tight and hose off the bags afterwards to get
rid of any splashes. Just do this the day before they collect.

Not a nice job but its only rotting fish or meat, unless you eat it it won't
hurt you. Wear some old gloves and make sure you wash properly afterwards to
get rid if the stink.

:-O

Stuart

On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 18:25:51 +0100, "TonyK" wrote:

"NickP" wrote in message
[...]

I had a similar problem a few weeks ago.Not a pleasnat sight when i
opened the freezer but just bit the bullet and bagged it then took it
to the local tip and put it in the skip.

might your House Contents cover you for freezer failures ,in which
case you might need to keep the evidence or at least detail what was
in the freezer .
Stuart

--

Shift THELEVER to reply.
Derek ^

On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 18:11:13 +0100, "NickP" wrote:

Returned home last night from 3 weeks away to a putrid smell in the garage.
Looks & smells like our old old chest freezer has gone the way of all

We had a small cheap chest freezer in the kitchen which was
infrequently opened it contained 2 large turkeys (Free from ASDA)
sundry frozen food and lots of ice lollies. We started to notice a
faint off smell in the kitchen that we couldn't track down. Eventually
we got closer, and moving a pile of towels on the lid cracked it open
3-4 mm. The most awful, rancid, putrid smell of stinking carrion and
fermenting orange juice (from the lollies) filled the kitchen.

Any handling was out of the question. I went down to B&Q and bought a
garden incinerator and a bag of logs, the turkeys I extracted with a
garden fork, the other stuff I shovelled out with a spade, and burnt
the lot over about 6 hours. Surprisingly the turkeys burnt very well
and nothing remained.

(snip)

So it looks like I am facing the prospect of disposing of say .75 cu.m. of
very smelly stuff.

Any ideas please?

Phone the council and ask them what to do, officially it should be
burnt in an incinerator and not included in landfill. You might find
it's not accepted at a "recycling station" and you could be stuck with
it in the back of the car...

DG

shaun

Derek ^ wrote:

We had a small cheap chest freezer in the kitchen which was
infrequently opened it contained 2 large turkeys (Free from ASDA)
sundry frozen food and lots of ice lollies. We started to notice a
faint off smell in the kitchen that we couldn't track down. Eventually
we got closer, and moving a pile of towels on the lid cracked it open
3-4 mm. The most awful, rancid, putrid smell of stinking carrion and
fermenting orange juice (from the lollies) filled the kitchen.

When we got rid of our old freezer we defrosted it before arranging for the
council to collect it. Unfortunately I missed 3 prawns hanging around in the
back of one of the drawers. Two weeks hence I had to move the thing and
opened the door - I don't think I could describe the smell.....

David Hearn

shaun wrote:
Derek ^ wrote:

We had a small cheap chest freezer in the kitchen which was
infrequently opened it contained 2 large turkeys (Free from ASDA)
sundry frozen food and lots of ice lollies. We started to notice a
faint off smell in the kitchen that we couldn't track down. Eventually
we got closer, and moving a pile of towels on the lid cracked it open
3-4 mm. The most awful, rancid, putrid smell of stinking carrion and
fermenting orange juice (from the lollies) filled the kitchen.

When we got rid of our old freezer we defrosted it before arranging for the
council to collect it. Unfortunately I missed 3 prawns hanging around in the
back of one of the drawers. Two weeks hence I had to move the thing and
opened the door - I don't think I could describe the smell.....

Fridge unplugged in wife's student house during 4 week Easter holiday.
No one around, hence unplugging to save electricity etc. Door left open
to avoid smells etc. Person emptying fridge missed the 3 sausages on a
plate.

Wife (not at the time) returns to house with me after Easter, opens door
to find weird smell. After looking (smelling?) around, discover source
of smell, and source of large number of flies. Upon closer looking,
find maggots crawling in stairs carpet down from kitchen to front door.
More maggots found inside and behind fridge.

Landlord refused to replace carpet or fridge... Our time was spent
cleaning carpets and fridge multiple times.

Student who left sausages was not the flavour of the month I can tell
you! She also was the last of the 4 house mates to arrive back...

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
David Hearn writes:

Fridge unplugged in wife's student house during 4 week Easter holiday.
No one around, hence unplugging to save electricity etc. Door left open
to avoid smells etc. Person emptying fridge missed the 3 sausages on a
plate.

Almost identical experience in a shared house, and was also sausages.
Fridge was emptied, turned off, and door left open. One occupant came
back for some reason, presumably bought a packet of sausages and put
the unused ones in the fridge and shut the door. Arrived back to find
they had got out of the fridge all by themselves, by liquifying and
creeping out through the door seal. Would never have guessed they had
been sausages at all except for the wrapper. We cleaned up the floor,
but the fridge was left for the culprit to clean out. Not nice...

--
Andrew Gabriel

James Salisbury

"NickP" wrote in message
[...]

A vist to www.arco.co.uk may be in order, organic vapour mask tyvex suit
goggles and rubber gloves? Ask 3M 0870 60 800 60