Pete C

Default Cutting Angle Iron

Hi,

Got some 1 1/4 x 1/8" angle iron to cut, up to a dozen cuts and
thinking of a good way to cut it.

Anyone done this using a 9" angle grinder with a cutting disk or a
reciprocating saw? If so how easy was it and did it need lots of discs
or blades?

I'd expect the best way would be a chop saw, but it doesn't really
have any other uses once I've cut the angle and the above tools can be
used for other things.

I could make an angle grinder stand from some angle to make things
easier, does anyone know what thread the handle usually is as the
mounting holes either side would be a good way to attach it to the
stand.

cheers,
Pete.
Ian Stirling

Pete C wrote:
Hi,

Got some 1 1/4 x 1/8" angle iron to cut, up to a dozen cuts and
thinking of a good way to cut it.

Bedframe?

Anyone done this using a 9" angle grinder with a cutting disk or a
reciprocating saw? If so how easy was it and did it need lots of discs
or blades?

4" angle grinder - dead easy.
9" angle grinder, with an appropriate metal-cutting disk, I'd suspect
like butter.

I'd expect the best way would be a chop saw, but it doesn't really
have any other uses once I've cut the angle and the above tools can be
used for other things.

I could make an angle grinder stand from some angle to make things
easier, does anyone know what thread the handle usually is as the
mounting holes either side would be a good way to attach it to the
stand.

Unless you need it very, very accurate, freehand is just fine, cut 1-several
mm over, and you can then trim with the angle grinder to a line.
Bob Minchin

Ian Stirling wrote in message
Pete C wrote:
[...]

I'd certainly endorse Ian's reply but add that if you are working with bed
angle, this often has hard spots in it and hacksawing then becomes hard work
and it can eat blades. Angle ginders don't mind the hardspots so much.

Bob

david lang

"Pete C" wrote in message Hi,

Got some 1 1/4 x 1/8" angle iron to cut, up to a dozen cuts and
thinking of a good way to cut it.

You can buy a stand that converts an angle grinder into a cut off machine
http://tinyurl.com/9l4tb

Dead accurate repitition once you set up a stop.

Dave

Cicero

"Pete C" wrote in message
Hi,

Got some 1 1/4 x 1/8" angle iron to cut, up to a dozen cuts and
thinking of a good way to cut it.

Anyone done this using a 9" angle grinder with a cutting disk or a
reciprocating saw? If so how easy was it and did it need lots of discs
or blades?

I'd expect the best way would be a chop saw, but it doesn't really
have any other uses once I've cut the angle and the above tools can be
used for other things.

I could make an angle grinder stand from some angle to make things
easier, does anyone know what thread the handle usually is as the
mounting holes either side would be a good way to attach it to the
stand.

cheers,
Pete.

================
A hacksaw would be perfectly adequate for this job. I find the best way to
cut angle iron is to lock it in the vice with the angle facing upwards and
then cut with long light strokes. A dozen cuts will take less than half an
hour and one blade will probably do the lot.

Cic.

Harry Bloomfield

Pete C brought next idea :
Got some 1 1/4 x 1/8" angle iron to cut, up to a dozen cuts and
thinking of a good way to cut it.

Anyone done this using a 9" angle grinder with a cutting disk or a
reciprocating saw? If so how easy was it and did it need lots of discs
or blades?

I have done it with a smaller grinder - it was quick and easy. No need
to fix the grinder, so long as the angle is firmly held. Cut one side
through, then just nick the other - bend it a few times and it will
break. Then just grind the raw edge. Grinder is much faster than a saw
and one disk will probably do it.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Andrew Mawson

"Pete C" wrote in message
Hi,

Got some 1 1/4 x 1/8" angle iron to cut, up to a dozen cuts and
thinking of a good way to cut it.

Anyone done this using a 9" angle grinder with a cutting disk or a
reciprocating saw? If so how easy was it and did it need lots of

discs
or blades?

I'd expect the best way would be a chop saw, but it doesn't really
have any other uses once I've cut the angle and the above tools can

be
used for other things.

I could make an angle grinder stand from some angle to make things
easier, does anyone know what thread the handle usually is as the
mounting holes either side would be a good way to attach it to the
stand.

cheers,
Pete.

Angle grinder should be fine BUT make sure as the cut is nearly
through that the weight of the material doesn't tend to close on the
disk and pinch it.

First time I saw my skeleton was when I pinched a 9" wheel cutting
some channel section, and it wrenched out of my hand and embedded
itself in my lower leg ! Blood EVERYWHERE ! Didn't do the grinder much
good either G

AWEM

Set Square

Pete C wrote:

Hi,

Got some 1 1/4 x 1/8" angle iron to cut, up to a dozen cuts and
thinking of a good way to cut it.

Anyone done this using a 9" angle grinder with a cutting disk or a
reciprocating saw? If so how easy was it and did it need lots of discs
or blades?

Get a bit of exercise and cut it with a hacksaw - it ain't that big a job!

I could make an angle grinder stand from some angle to make things
easier,

Once you've cut the angle, you'll be able to make a stand to cut the angle .
.. g
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Colin Wilson

You can buy a stand that converts an angle grinder into a cut off machine
http://tinyurl.com/9l4tb

Handy to know - cheap too !
Eric The Viking

"Pete C" wrote in message
Hi,

Got some 1 1/4 x 1/8" angle iron to cut, up to a dozen cuts and
thinking of a good way to cut it.

Anyone done this using a 9" angle grinder with a cutting disk or a
reciprocating saw? If so how easy was it and did it need lots of discs
or blades?

I'd expect the best way would be a chop saw, but it doesn't really
have any other uses once I've cut the angle and the above tools can be
used for other things.

I could make an angle grinder stand from some angle to make things
easier, does anyone know what thread the handle usually is as the
mounting holes either side would be a good way to attach it to the
stand.

cheers,
Pete.

I bought a Black & Decker Scorpion saw a month or two back. It comes with a
couple of metal cutting blades as well as wood blades & jigsaw blades. The
metal blades would make light work of angle iron. It cuts metal quite
quickly and with loads of control.

IMHO 9" angle grinders are a bit animal for this kind of work unless they
are in a press ( as Andrew mentioned in this thread ). A 4.5" grinder would
be good for the job though - and safer if used 'freehand'.

Personally I'd use the excuse to get a Scorpion - loads of uses after the
main job is done. I just used mine to take out an old wooden window frame -
took about 10 minutes start to finish. Used the wood blade to cut through
the frame at suitable points then switched to the metal blade to take care
of some 6" nails that were holding it in. Great for trimming tree branches
and fence posts too :-)

ETV

John Rumm

Eric The Viking wrote:

I bought a Black & Decker Scorpion saw a month or two back.

Ewwwwe - no thanks! (sorry not my favourite tool!) ;-)

Personally I'd use the excuse to get a Scorpion - loads of uses after the
main job is done. I just used mine to take out an old wooden window frame -

You can tell I was that impressed with it! - its a cross between a
jigsaw on steroids, and a reciprocating saw, and seems to acquire the
worst attributes of both.

As a jigsaw it lacks the control and finesse of a cheap and nasty
jigsaw, its too big, and you get loads of vibration.

In comparison to a real reciprocating saw it is also very feeble. The
stroke length is way to short (did I say stoke? - more like vibration
length), it lacks power, has a very poor selection of blades (and does
not take standard recip saw blades), and it vibrates way too much. After
an hours use in any mode you will be lucky if you can still fell your
fingers!

The axminster "white" recip saw is just like a real one for about the
same money - now that *is* useful.

So in summary: if anyone wants a scorpion, pay the postage and you can
have mine!

--
Cheers,

John.

Andy Hall

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 03:52:35 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

Eric The Viking wrote:

[...]

I'm afraid I have to agree on this. This was one of those tools that
looks good in principle and could have been useful, but quality and
reliability were poor.

I bought one from B&Q a while back. It lasted a few days and then
the mechanism jammed - took it back got another. On this one, the
motor seemed to be overheating - unpleasant hot smell and wispy smoke
from the vents. No more. I took it back and obtained refund and on
asking, a £15 voucher for the inconvenience.

Now I have Scintilla, and she's a lot better behaved, although she
does live with Robert these days.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Eric The Viking

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Eric The Viking wrote:

I bought a Black & Decker Scorpion saw a month or two back.

Ewwwwe - no thanks! (sorry not my favourite tool!) ;-)

snip

The axminster "white" recip saw is just like a real one for about the same
money - now that *is* useful.

So in summary: if anyone wants a scorpion, pay the postage and you can
have mine!

Maybe you had the blades in upside down, I've used mine for loads of
different jobs and it's been faultless.

I looked at the old fashioned 'converted power drill' style saws but they
were too long & heavy for my requirements.

ETV

Dave

Pete C wrote:
Hi,

Got some 1 1/4 x 1/8" angle iron to cut, up to a dozen cuts and
thinking of a good way to cut it.

Anyone done this using a 9" angle grinder with a cutting disk or a
reciprocating saw? If so how easy was it and did it need lots of discs
or blades?

I'd expect the best way would be a chop saw, but it doesn't really
have any other uses once I've cut the angle and the above tools can be
used for other things.

I could make an angle grinder stand from some angle to make things
easier, does anyone know what thread the handle usually is as the
mounting holes either side would be a good way to attach it to the
stand.

cheers,
Pete.

I had to dispatch 60 school desks last week and I used a 4 inch angle
grinder to cut the legs at the formed bends. Took me about 4 hours to
collapse the legs of the desks. A lot less work than using a hacksaw.

HTH

Dave
Set Square

Dave wrote:

I had to dispatch 60 school desks last week and I used a 4 inch angle
grinder to cut the legs at the formed bends. Took me about 4 hours to
collapse the legs of the desks. A lot less work than using a hacksaw.

HTH

Dave

Presumably precision wasn't an issue?
--
Cheers,
Set Square

John Rumm

Eric The Viking wrote:

Maybe you had the blades in upside down, I've used mine for loads of
different jobs and it's been faultless.

While I admit the cut rate would not be much different either way, I am
fairly confident I was using the bit with the sawtooth pattern on it to
cut with! ;-)

I looked at the old fashioned 'converted power drill' style saws but they
were too long & heavy for my requirements.

They are a bit longer, but that makes getting two hands on them for
extra control a bit easier in my opinion. The main gain is the speed of
cut and huge range of blades you can get for all sorts of tasks. There
is also far less vibration (since they take far more sizeable saw strokes).

--
Cheers,

John.

Pete C

Hi,

Thanks for all the replies, think I'll give it a go with my 4.5" kinzo
grinder freehand. If it's hard going or the grinder dies at some point
I'll try a 9" grinder.

The stand from Axminster looks good, though if the above goes well I
might even have a try at making one.

Not sure about hacksawing it all, seems about as appealing as sanding
wood by hand

cheers,
Pete.
Eric The Viking

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Eric The Viking wrote:

Maybe you had the blades in upside down, I've used mine for loads of
different jobs and it's been faultless.

While I admit the cut rate would not be much different either way, I am
fairly confident I was using the bit with the sawtooth pattern on it to
cut with! ;-)

Ah, but did you have it plugged in ;-)

I looked at the old fashioned 'converted power drill' style saws but they
were too long & heavy for my requirements.

They are a bit longer, but that makes getting two hands on them for extra
control a bit easier in my opinion. The main gain is the speed of cut and
huge range of blades you can get for all sorts of tasks. There is also far
less vibration (since they take far more sizeable saw strokes).

They could come with special blades for smoothly cutting particularly hard
cheeses for all I care, I still think your talking out of your hat.

ETV

John Rumm

Eric The Viking wrote:

They could come with special blades for smoothly cutting particularly hard
cheeses for all I care, I still think your talking out of your hat.

Suit yourself. I have used both. The scopion is pathetic compared to the
real thing IMHO. As I said, if anyone wants one, they can have mine.

--
Cheers,

John.

Nick Atty

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 21:58:04 +0100, Pete C wrote:

The stand from Axminster looks good, though if the above goes well I
might even have a try at making one.

I've got the Screwfix angle grinder stand (they did a special offer on
the pair a couple of years back). It's ok, but a bit flimsy. In
particular, unless you are very careful indeed, the various fastenings
tend to vibrate lose letting the grinder wobble about a bit - which is
not what you want!
--
On-line canal route planner: http://www.canalplan.org.uk

(Waterways World site of the month, April 2001)

Dave

Set Square wrote:
Dave wrote:

I had to dispatch 60 school desks last week and I used a 4 inch angle
grinder to cut the legs at the formed bends. Took me about 4 hours to
collapse the legs of the desks. A lot less work than using a hacksaw.

HTH

Dave

Presumably precision wasn't an issue?

LOL. Not really :-)

But I think that I could have cut them to quite a close tolerance, if
required.

Dave