Dave Plowman (News)

Default Printing on flexible plastic.

The sliding strip on the auto gear selector on the old SD1 Rover didn't
survive the oven which baked the new paint on. It's well and truly
frazzled.

It's approx 4" x 12" and somewhat under 1mm thick. It's black in the
middle, but with translucent green at either side to allow the bulbs
beneath to illuminate the gear you're in. In other words, it slides in a
housing controlled by the gear leaver.

I could make and print out something similar on the inkjet. But don't
think it would survive for long. Would a laser print be more robust? (Both
overhead projection transparencies)

Or should I simply use some paint? If so which sort, and what kind of
transparent sheet?

--
*Elephants are the only mammals that can't jump *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Set Square

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

The sliding strip on the auto gear selector on the old SD1 Rover
didn't survive the oven which baked the new paint on. It's well and
truly frazzled.

It's approx 4" x 12" and somewhat under 1mm thick. It's black in the
middle, but with translucent green at either side to allow the bulbs
beneath to illuminate the gear you're in. In other words, it slides
in a housing controlled by the gear leaver.

I could make and print out something similar on the inkjet. But don't
think it would survive for long. Would a laser print be more robust?
(Both overhead projection transparencies)

Or should I simply use some paint? If so which sort, and what kind of
transparent sheet?

How about printing it in colour on an overhead projector transparency
designed for ink-jet use - and then laminating it? You could use an A4
laminator pouch and then trim it to size after laminating. It won't be
*quite* 12" long - but pretty close.

Otherwise, it's a trip to a breaker's yard to look for an SD1 Auto from
which to canabalise it!

Incidentally, was the whole car in the oven after a body re-spray? If so, I
would be worried about all sorts of other bits which may have got damaged by
the heat - particularly rubber insulation on the electrics and windscreen
seals, etc.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Colin Wilson

I could make and print out something similar on the inkjet. But don't
think it would survive for long. Would a laser print be more robust? (Both
overhead projection transparencies)

I wonder if you printed on a transparent, then laminated the printed
side...
Ian Stirling

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
The sliding strip on the auto gear selector on the old SD1 Rover didn't
survive the oven which baked the new paint on. It's well and truly
frazzled.

It's approx 4" x 12" and somewhat under 1mm thick. It's black in the
middle, but with translucent green at either side to allow the bulbs
beneath to illuminate the gear you're in. In other words, it slides in a
housing controlled by the gear leaver.

I could make and print out something similar on the inkjet. But don't
think it would survive for long. Would a laser print be more robust? (Both
overhead projection transparencies)

I've done a similar thing - to replace the numbers on a microwave with
ones that are not stylish, but have the benefit of actually being readable.
Laminate, and it may well work fine.
Depending on the translucency, laminated paper may even work.
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Set Square wrote:
How about printing it in colour on an overhead projector transparency
designed for ink-jet use - and then laminating it? You could use an A4
laminator pouch and then trim it to size after laminating. It won't be
*quite* 12" long - but pretty close.

Worth a try - I've got a laminator.

Otherwise, it's a trip to a breaker's yard to look for an SD1 Auto from
which to canabalise it!

Not many in breaker's yards these days - and they'd want to sell the whole
gearchange.

Incidentally, was the whole car in the oven after a body re-spray? If
so, I would be worried about all sorts of other bits which may have got
damaged by the heat - particularly rubber insulation on the electrics
and windscreen seals, etc.

Nothing else appears to have suffered. But then it's common practice to
bake cars after even a partial re-spray, so I'd not expect there to be
problems.

--
*A fool and his money are soon partying *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Andy Dingley

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 19:37:54 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

Would a laser print be more robust? (Both
overhead projection transparencies)

IMHE, OHP sheets are flexible enough for this sort of job. Laminated
paper in plastic isn't - and it will de-laminate if repeatedly flexed.

BTW - Tesco are selling A4 laminators for just over 12 quid at the
moment !

Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

In article , Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:

I could make and print out something similar on the inkjet. But don't
think it would survive for long. Would a laser print be more robust? (Both
overhead projection transparencies)

A laser print is fine. I used them for making PCB transparencies and they
are quite robust. I have some laser film still lying about I think, if you
need some. Use !Draw and you can knock off the strip in no time.

--
AJL
Matt

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

The sliding strip on the auto gear selector on the old SD1 Rover didn't
survive the oven which baked the new paint on. It's well and truly
frazzled.

You could always fit a CVT from a Prius ;-)

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics) wrote:
I could make and print out something similar on the inkjet. But don't
think it would survive for long. Would a laser print be more robust?
(Both overhead projection transparencies)

A laser print is fine. I used them for making PCB transparencies and
they are quite robust. I have some laser film still lying about I think,
if you need some. Use !Draw and you can knock off the strip in no time.

No problem with the graphics. But I've only got an inkjet colour printer.
I've got transparencies for that though, and I also use them for PCB
production. But I'd not call them robust.

Since it's raining and work on the car has stopped, I'll knock one up and
laminate it.

And I'm not quite sure how I'd produce a file from Draw that I could give
to a printer, etc?

--
*I yell because I care

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Set Square

Rob Morley wrote:

How about printing it in colour on an overhead projector transparency
designed for ink-jet use - and then laminating it? You could use an
A4 laminator pouch and then trim it to size after laminating. It
won't be *quite* 12" long - but pretty close.

A4 is more than 14" on the diagonal ...

Indeed it is! So perhaps you'd like to explain how the OP can get a 12" x 4"
*rectangle* out of an A4 sheet.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Set Square

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Nothing else appears to have suffered. But then it's common practice
to bake cars after even a partial re-spray, so I'd not expect there
to be problems.

I wouldn't have expected the gear selector strip to suffer either - which
made me wonder whether they'd turned the wick up a bit too high!
--
Cheers,
Set Square

John Schmitt

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

No problem with the graphics. But I've only got an inkjet colour printer.
I've got transparencies for that though, and I also use them for PCB
production. But I'd not call them robust.

Since it's raining and work on the car has stopped, I'll knock one up and
laminate it.

Even laminated 'ware the rain. Inkjet ink does not like the wet.

And I'm not quite sure how I'd produce a file from Draw that I could give
to a printer, etc?

Assuming you are a bit conversant with MS Paint, That should suffice.

John Schmitt

wrote:

And I'm not quite sure how I'd produce a file from Draw that I could give
to a printer, etc?

Do the artwork in !Draw and email it to me. I'll colour laser print it onto
a transparency for you.

--
AJL
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

In article , John Schmitt
wrote:

Assuming you are a bit conversant with MS Paint, That should suffice.

Dave uses a modern, efficient OS rather than Mickeysoft stuff. :-)

--
AJL

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Set Square wrote:
Nothing else appears to have suffered. But then it's common practice
to bake cars after even a partial re-spray, so I'd not expect there
to be problems.

I wouldn't have expected the gear selector strip to suffer either - which
made me wonder whether they'd turned the wick up a bit too high!

Well, there's loads of other plastics which are ok. It's possible this
strip is celluloid which IIRC has a pretty low melting point.

--
*It's lonely at the top, but you eat better.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
John Schmitt wrote:
And I'm not quite sure how I'd produce a file from Draw that I could
give to a printer, etc?

Assuming you are a bit conversant with MS Paint, That should suffice.

I'm not and have no intention of. ;-)

The only MS product I use is IE 5.5 to access those odd sites that my RISC
OS browsers won't.

--
*If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
John Cartmell

wrote:

I could make and print out something similar on the inkjet. But don't
think it would survive for long. Would a laser print be more robust? (Both
overhead projection transparencies)

A laser print is fine. I used them for making PCB transparencies and they
are quite robust. I have some laser film still lying about I think, if you
need some. Use !Draw and you can knock off the strip in no time.

Make sure that you use a laser transparency! The ink jet versions may well not
stand the heat. If you use the ink jet printer and want it to last then use
black ink - ie not colour or even a mixture of colours to produce a black
effect.

[and how is RISC OS managing to take over uk.d-i-y?! ;-) ]

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics) wrote:
And I'm not quite sure how I'd produce a file from Draw that I could
give to a printer, etc?

Do the artwork in !Draw and email it to me. I'll colour laser print it
onto a transparency for you.

Very kind, Andy, thankyou. However, I'll try laminating a transparency
printed on the inkjet first, but keep the Drawfile in case I have problems.

--
*The average person falls asleep in seven minutes *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
John Cartmell

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics) wrote:
I could make and print out something similar on the inkjet. But don't
think it would survive for long. Would a laser print be more robust?
(Both overhead projection transparencies)

A laser print is fine. I used them for making PCB transparencies and
they are quite robust. I have some laser film still lying about I think,
if you need some. Use !Draw and you can knock off the strip in no time.

No problem with the graphics. But I've only got an inkjet colour printer.
I've got transparencies for that though, and I also use them for PCB
production. But I'd not call them robust.

Since it's raining and work on the car has stopped, I'll knock one up and
laminate it.

And I'm not quite sure how I'd produce a file from Draw that I could give
to a printer, etc?

Print it to PostScript. Maybe then produce pdf.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Do the artwork in !Draw and email it to me. I'll colour laser print it
onto a transparency for you.

Very kind, Andy, thankyou. However, I'll try laminating a transparency
printed on the inkjet first, but keep the Drawfile in case I have
problems.

To follow up, the results are only ok. Laminating a transparency seems to
show up imperfections in the glue rather more than with paper. And the
glossy finish isn't as nice as the original matt black. So I'll find a
secondhand replacement.

--
*Certain frogs can be frozen solid, then thawed, and survive *

wrote:

To follow up, the results are only ok. Laminating a transparency seems to
show up imperfections in the glue rather more than with paper. And the
glossy finish isn't as nice as the original matt black. So I'll find a
secondhand replacement.

So send me your !Draw file and I'll see what I can achieve. A jpeg of the
original would be handy too.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics) wrote:
To follow up, the results are only ok. Laminating a transparency seems to
show up imperfections in the glue rather more than with paper. And the
glossy finish isn't as nice as the original matt black. So I'll find a
secondhand replacement.

So send me your !Draw file and I'll see what I can achieve. A jpeg of the
original would be handy too.

Ok, and thanks again.

--
*If you can read this, thank a teecher

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
raden

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
The sliding strip on the auto gear selector on the old SD1 Rover didn't
survive the oven which baked the new paint on. It's well and truly
frazzled.

It's approx 4" x 12" and somewhat under 1mm thick. It's black in the
middle, but with translucent green at either side to allow the bulbs
beneath to illuminate the gear you're in. In other words, it slides in a
housing controlled by the gear leaver.

I could make and print out something similar on the inkjet. But don't
think it would survive for long. Would a laser print be more robust? (Both
overhead projection transparencies)

Or should I simply use some paint? If so which sort, and what kind of
transparent sheet?

Scrappie

I can't think how you would make one which would last for very long

--
geoff
raden

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article ,
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics) wrote:
I could make and print out something similar on the inkjet. But don't
think it would survive for long. Would a laser print be more robust?
(Both overhead projection transparencies)

A laser print is fine. I used them for making PCB transparencies and
they are quite robust. I have some laser film still lying about I think,
if you need some. Use !Draw and you can knock off the strip in no time.

No problem with the graphics. But I've only got an inkjet colour printer.

Email it to me and I'll see what I can do

I've got a laser and a laminator

--
geoff
raden

In message , John Schmitt
writes
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

No problem with the graphics. But I've only got an inkjet colour printer.
I've got transparencies for that though, and I also use them for PCB
production. But I'd not call them robust.

Since it's raining and work on the car has stopped, I'll knock one up and
laminate it.

Even laminated 'ware the rain. Inkjet ink does not like the wet.

Or the sun

Sorry, we're talking England here, aren't we

And I'm not quite sure how I'd produce a file from Draw that I could give
to a printer, etc?

Assuming you are a bit conversant with MS Paint, That should suffice.

John Schmitt

--
geoff
raden

In message , Matt
writes
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

The sliding strip on the auto gear selector on the old SD1 Rover didn't
survive the oven which baked the new paint on. It's well and truly
frazzled.

You could always fit a CVT from a Prius ;-)

I think he wants it to last for more than a week

--
geoff

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
raden wrote:
No problem with the graphics. But I've only got an inkjet colour
printer.

Email it to me and I'll see what I can do

Andy Luckman has very kindly offered to have a go, and I've sent him the
file. Which he will be able to read. ;-)

I've got a laser and a laminator

My attempt showed that the laminator doesn't work too well with a
transparency - and that you get a semi gloss finish rather than the matt
black of the original. However, it's serviceable and will do until the
next SD1 club spares day.

--
*There are 3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

wrote:

Andy Luckman has very kindly offered to have a go, and I've sent him the
file. Which he will be able to read. ;-)

When I get it! Haven't seen it yet. Are you getting bounced by the spam
filters? Try substituting .co.uk with vispa.com if so.

** Would you like to learn to post effectively? **
** http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?How_to_post **

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics) wrote:
Andy Luckman has very kindly offered to have a go, and I've sent him
the file. Which he will be able to read. ;-)

When I get it! Haven't seen it yet. Are you getting bounced by the spam
filters? Try substituting .co.uk with vispa.com if so.

Ah - then I don't have your real address.

I've used the 'contact' one off your website this time.

--
*I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Florida Plastic film windows daveyjones Home Repair 6 January 11th 14 10:44 PM
Installing a Plastic Window Insulator Kit Howie Home Repair 4 January 6th 05 03:52 PM
GASKET MATERIALS: FLEXIBLE GRAPHITE Richard He Woodworking 0 March 11th 04 01:54 AM
Plastic or Fabric? DaveW Home Repair 3 August 11th 03 06:33 AM
Plastic Pipes in central heating Zetor UK diy 6 August 2nd 03 12:18 PM