Tricky Dicky

Default Armoured Cable

Hi All!

Does anyone know what the regulations are for running armoured cable above
ground or attached to a fence.

I need to run a mains power line to my shed which will become the nerve
centre of my garden lighting project.

For part of the distance I can bury the cable underground hence the
proposal of using armoured cable, but without going into too much detail the
final 2 metres have to cross a small paved area. It is not feasible to bury
the cable here because of several built obstructions. Can I run it at ground
level on the surface of the paved area where it cannot be walked on or
attach it to a fence that borders the paved area and runs up to the shed

Ta for any suggestions

Richard

Tony1

Aah, PartP!

Under Part P of the building regulations I think you need to get this
either approved by building control or installed by an approved
electrician; this requirement came into effect from 1/1/2005.

As I understand it, it is perfectly acceptable to do as you propose, ie
run armoured cable along a fence providing that it is protected from
damage ie:

1) Situated in a position where its not going to be exposed to
particular risk (reasonably high up on fence)

2) Properly secured using appropriate cleats (get these from B&Q or
electrical factors)

3) Where it comes out of the ground it should have some additional
mechanical protection such as a piece of plastic pipe to protect it
from spades and feet etc.

There are also requirements regarding the buried section regarding
depth, warning tape and/or protective tiles.

I'm not an electrician but installed several runs of armoured cable
before it became "unsafe" for me to do so; this reply is based on my
recollection of the regulations etc I researched at the time.

Armoured cable Hugh UK diy 3 August 5th 05 08:13 PM
Joining armoured cable wmt UK diy 3 May 2nd 05 06:08 PM
slightly OT NTL/Telewest cable descrambler ntldescrambler UK diy 10 August 26th 04 03:25 PM
Cable gland for armoured cable Rafal UK diy 3 July 12th 04 08:48 PM
Is it OK to put standard "twin & earth" cable directly into the cavity of a dwarf wall? Jon Weaver UK diy 20 August 8th 03 03:38 PM