Replacing Velux Window

Old August 17th 05, 11:16 AM
Andrew

Default Replacing Velux Window

I have a largish (1m x 1m) Velux window which has misted between the panes.
Velux have quoted about 250 to replace the sealed unit. Is it possible to
DIY? Does anybody know the best place to get the sealed unit from? Access
from the inside is not completely straightforward, but too bad - the window
is about 2.5m above a half landing. No access from outside.

regards,
Andrew

Old August 17th 05, 12:35 PM
Rick

On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 10:16:42 +0100, "Andrew" - wrote:

I have a largish (1m x 1m) Velux window which has misted between the panes.
Velux have quoted about 250 to replace the sealed unit. Is it possible to
DIY? Does anybody know the best place to get the sealed unit from? Access
from the inside is not completely straightforward, but too bad - the window
is about 2.5m above a half landing. No access from outside.

regards,
Andrew

Sealed units can be got from any double glazing or glass shop.

You need to know the total thickness of the unit.

Rick

Old August 17th 05, 01:08 PM
Set Square

Andrew - wrote:

I have a largish (1m x 1m) Velux window which has misted between the
panes. Velux have quoted about 250 to replace the sealed unit. Is it
possible to DIY? Does anybody know the best place to get the sealed
unit from? Access from the inside is not completely straightforward,
but too bad - the window is about 2.5m above a half landing. No
access from outside.

regards,
Andrew

I would contact one or two local private double-glazing companies (*not* the
national chains!). You should find someone who will come out and measure up
and then make and fit a new sealed unit for a lot less than Velux are
quoting.

If you're anywhere near Warwick, I would recommend Warwick Glass - but
similar firms exist elsewhere.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Old August 17th 05, 02:03 PM
in2minds

I have a largish (1m x 1m) Velux window which has misted between the
panes.
Velux have quoted about 250 to replace the sealed unit. Is it
possible to
DIY? Does anybody know the best place to get the sealed unit from?
Access
from the inside is not completely straightforward, but too bad - the
window
is about 2.5m above a half landing. No access from outside.

there's a company near me that makes DG units, they'll knock up a DG
pane, any size, same day if you give them enough warning and rough
dimensions.
I took the original glass to the factory and they did one for me while I
waited, took them 30 minutes

Old August 17th 05, 07:15 PM
Weatherlawyer

Andrew wrote:

Velux have quoted about =A3250 to replace the sealed unit. Is it possible=

DIY?

If you can get a trestle set up for two to work on, removing a Velux
sash is a doddle. They unclip and lift up and of their hinge. Take it
off and have a look what you can do with it. Then, first thing next
day, take it to wherever for a refurb.

You can take it off by yourself if you are competent. Also you can take
it off from on the roof if you have roof ladders.

How long have you had the Velux?

Old August 18th 05, 10:02 AM
Andrew

"Weatherlawyer" wrote in message
oups.com...

If you can get a trestle set up for two to work on, removing a Velux
sash is a doddle. They unclip and lift up and of their hinge. Take it
off and have a look what you can do with it. Then, first thing next
day, take it to wherever for a refurb.

Can you expand on how to unclip the hinge? What aspect should the
window be in to do this? Can it then be slide directly through the
aperture, or will it be necessary to tilt it slightly obliquely? I'm
guessing the window unit will be about 15-20kg - it's the size and
weight of the window which is making me approach the task with
caution.

You can take it off by yourself if you are competent. Also you can take
it off from on the roof if you have roof ladders.

As it will be the first time I've done anything with a roof window, I guess
competency is a difficult thing to gauge. Presumably if I end up standing
around with a large hole in my roof and a mess of glass and wood on the
ground 5 storeys below me I will realise I am not as competent as I
thought I was...

How long have you had the Velux?

I don't know - the window is about 10-15 years old from what I can make out.

regards,
Andrew